21 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Implications of running on the Corp's turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First get your dose of spoilers at http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1265870/valley-1st-data-pack...

An Offer You Can't Refuse wrote:
Choose a central server. The Runner may initiate a run on that server during which he or she cannot jack out. Otherwise,...

This card enables the Runner to run during the Corp's turn for the first time. I am interested in sorting out the implications of this, particularly when it comes to simultaneous effects being resolved by the Corp first.

When Encountered

Femme Fatale's bypass ability is simultaneous with ICE's "when encountered" effects (Tollbooth, Data Raven, Komainu, etc.). On the Corp turn, the ICE goes first! So the runner loses 3 credits, runner takes a tag or jacks out, Komainu gains subs, etc. before the bypass.

[Edit: Rewrote this section to remove discussion of events. Thanks Kandiru / paedia]

Paid Abilities

There are some corner cases here that now break in the Corp's favor.

For example, Parasite'd Himitsu Bako vs Kit with Datasucker. Normally it is impossible for the Corp to burn Kit's ability but also save the Himitsu from the Parasite+Datasucker combo. But on the Corp turn it can pull Himitsu back in step 3.1 after Himitsu is encountered but before the Runner can use Datasucker.

The Corp can wait to use Corporate Troubleshooter until step 3.1, since the Troubleshooter will land before the Runner can use icebreakers. This can make a difference to Nasir since he might want to spend credits in 2.3 after seeing the Troubleshooter. [Edit: Just noticed that 3.1 isn't a rez cards window. So this is much less exciting. Still, the Corp can wait to put cash into the Troubleshooter until 3.1 in case Nasir wants to spend an amount based on how much the Corp spends...]

When Successful

Some minor differences in upgrades vs Runner cards that care about success. For example, the Runner will have to deal with an Ash trace before gaining Desperado/Gabe credits.

Similarly, John Masanori will not draw a card until after Hokusai Grid triggers.

What else am I missing? :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main one which will have the biggest effect I think you mentioned briefly:
Femme and Komainu. Komainu now gains it's subroutines BEFORE femme can bypass, which means it will cost 5C rather than 0C. If the runner cannot pay, they now have no cards in hand and cannot jack out... prognosis does not look good!

Other than that, the fact it's the corp's turn means the runner has no Clicks, and so Howler->Janus is going to hurt.

Inside Job and Feint don't apply since the runner doesn't get the chance of play them. Doppleganger would let the runner make an additional run of their choice though, if the run was successful and that would happen after any damage from Dedicated Response Team, while normally the extra run happens first (letting you trash the response team.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
In the "Offer" situation, the runner can't play Feint, Inside Job, or Recon. They can initiate a run or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kandiru wrote:
Inside Job and Feint don't apply since the runner doesn't get the chance of play them.

Oh, duh. Of course. :)

Kandiru wrote:

Doppleganger would let the runner make an additional run of their choice though, if the run was successful and that would happen after any damage from Dedicated Response Team, while normally the extra run happens first (letting you trash the response team.)

Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I'm not much into anr anymore lately but I might consider that the designer actually wants to treat that run as if it were the runners turn, no?
But then how to say if he has any clicks to pay for bioroid ice?

So answering my own question: it's probably meant to be played as if it were the corps turn with all beforementioned effects, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lievendp wrote:
Hi, I'm not much into anr anymore lately but I might consider that the designer actually wants to treat that run as if it were the runners turn, no?

So answering my own question: it's probably meant to be played as if it were the corps turn with all beforementioned effects, right?

The card would need to say that for it to be that way. So far there's no effects which simulate it being another player's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Goldfarb Styrt
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runner having no clicks makes this a powerful splash in HB, especially for Ichi and Janus (or at least the threat of them). Less so for something like Eli that just ends the run, or even a Heimdall 1.0 that does 1 brain damage and then ends it; you either want there to be enough threat that they'll be hurt before the run ends that they'll give you a point, or enough actual hurt that they SHOULD HAVE given you the point. Awakening Center could also be a good threat here.

Note that any installs during the run (say, via Clone Chip) would benefit from Kate's ability since it's the Corp's turn. On the other hand, recurring credits (Stealth, Toolbox, Cyberfeeder, Whizzard, etc) that were spent on the Runner's turn are not yet refilled, so you could really take advantage of timing windows against a runner using those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Could provide another way to go about tag and bag. Data Raven was mentioned, but I have been playing a deck with Bernice and ChiLo Grid. Making them run through a tag flood server, on my turn, seems like a great idea.

I don't think any runner, in their right mind, would go running into waters with unknowns (even known unknowns), on he corp's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChiLo + Flare + Scorched Earth would be a horrible combo to run into on the corp's turn!

The Flare even trashes the plascrete for you

DataRaven would be terrible as the runner would just choose to End The Run rather than take the tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quetzal could finally use her ability on the corp's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Quetzal could finally use her ability on the corp's turn.

Heh well technically it has always been usable because only icebreakers are restricted by the "you can only break subroutines during an encounter" rule but currently there's no cards which would notice or care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ferro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mb
lievendp wrote:

Correct, he does not. Likewise, Strongbox is perfect protection. But how does this interact with Ruhr Valley?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JonRock wrote:
lievendp wrote:

Correct, he does not. Likewise, Strongbox is perfect protection. But how does this interact with Ruhr Valley?

The runner can always choose not to pay the cost, and the run would be cancelled (I assume).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
The runner can always choose not to pay the cost, and the run would be cancelled (I assume).

In this case I believe this would mean that the Corp gains An Offer You Can't Refuse as an agenda point. Otherwise this contradicts the ruling on Forged Activation Orders vs Archer regarding declining additional costs. (See "A quick follow-up question" here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/910859/clarification-regardi...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meng
msg tools
Chum becomes more lethal with a scored Nisei MK II. If they don't break it, you can end the run as soon as the next encounter starts, before they have a chance to break any subroutines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trekkienz wrote:
Chum becomes more lethal with a scored Nisei MK II. If they don't break it, you can end the run as soon as the next encounter starts, before they have a chance to break any subroutines.

But they do get to jack out before the next ICE is encountered, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:

Nope, An Offer You Can't Refuse doesn't allow jacking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Tuism wrote:

Nope, An Offer You Can't Refuse doesn't allow jacking out.

YES.

Man, I can't remember rules AND cards at the same time these days. So out of it :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren S
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I plan to put this in a deck with Chum and self destruct.

Offer on server with Chum, another ice and self destruct.
Runner Hits Chum
Rez Self Destruct on Approach of next ice
Trash Self Destruct when the runner encounters ice.
6 net damage.

This assumes the runner can’t brake chum and you have the creds for the trace.

Vapo crushed my dreams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil G
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zartoch wrote:
I plan to put this in a deck with Chum and self destruct.

Offer on server with Chum, another ice and self destruct.
Runner Hits Chum
Rez Self Destruct on Approach of next ice
Trash Self Destruct when the runner encounters ice.
6 net damage.

This assumes the runner can’t brake chum and you have the creds for the trace.

Doesn't work, Self-destruct can only be installed in a remote server, and you have to choose a central server for Offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zartoch wrote:
:( Vapo crushed my dreams.

Woah woah friend. Let's not be hasty. Just add a little Bullfrog to your dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.