Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefano Voltolini
Italy
Trento
Trento
flag msg tools
I did not understand how the movement/attack of enemy helicopters works

Rules:

"If no aircraft is within range but they are within the heli's LOS, move the heli 1 hex closer to the aircraft...' "

I don't quite get this-- if there is no aircraft around, how is it related to its LOS? (is this refering to no ridge for 'H/L' altitude aircraft and ridge for 'H' altitude aircraft beyond range?)

Can you give me some examples of various situations in which you fight against helicopters (or maybe explain me all the possibile situations)? when they move, when they don't move, when they can not attack.

Thank you and sorry for my bad English
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

here is how I "read" the rules:

Enemy helicopters have a weapon range of 1 hex. But an unlimited LOS unless blocked by terrain, of course.
The main tactical rule for enemy helicopters: if you can see an enemy aircraft (i.e. the player's units), but those aircraft are out of range (i.e. 2 or more hexes away), move 1 hex towards them. If there are more than 1 visible targets, move closer to the already closest one. If more than one target is at the same range, determine the target to move to via a random process.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe's pretty much nailed it; if there's not a player aircraft in weapons range, move the heli towards one it has LOS to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Uhrig
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got a copy of this and have a couple of missions under my belt and that is how I've been playing them.

My question though is what if the enemy Helo is in Cover? Can it then only see the hex it is in? I wasn't sure how to handle that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

LOS is drawn from the centre of hexes through the middle of the hexedge (see p.16 of the rulebook). Treat the heli as being in the centre of the hex for LOS to player Low-alt craft, but it can see all high-alt craft and will move towards a unit if needed (last paragraph of p.13).

Alternatively, always take an F-16 with sidewinders to splash the buggers before they have a chance to move :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Uhrig
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Will.

I understood the High Alt, but wasn't sure about Low Alt.

Thanks for the F-16 tip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willow Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
Never drop a crate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Much in the same way I learned to always take Bug an A-6 or two in Hornet Leader, It's rare I play a campaign in TAL without a Falcon; enemy choppers will flat out ruin your day if they show up.

Then again I tend to play the A-10s like they're flown by honey badgers; you can't argue with the results, but there's usually a ton of repairs by the end of the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.