Subject: Less encounters but ship-specific rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
This is another variant for making the game a little faster by reducing the number of alien encounters.

In the original rules, an encounter occurs whenever a black ball comes up when determining thrust. The results affect the player's 'first' ship (the little transport ship with the least number of little rings on the tip currently on the board).

In this variant, when a black ball comes up, the specific ship which has the encounter is determined by the colour of the other ball present. Blue indicates ship #1, yellow ship #2, and red #3. (Same as thrust.)

If the ship indicated by the other ball is not on the board, there is no encounter and a thrust level of 3 is used for the player's movement. This applies even for those encounters that don't affect a specific ship.

Example:
Sulu shakes his main ship to determine his thrust; a black and a yellow ball come up. Steve has a trade ship with 2 rings on the board so an encounter occurs. The result of the encounter is that Sulu can move his ship to any space on the board. It was his ship #2 that had the encounter so it must be that ship which is moved.

Example:
Inara 'rolls' a black and a blue. On a previous turn, she used her ship #1 to place a colony, then removed the little transport ship from play. Since the ship with one ring is not on the board, no encounter occurs and Inara can move her other ships up to 3 spaces each.

In this variant, there are less encounters early in the game and more later on when players have more ships travelling around (which makes sense). It has been playtested but not extensively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
But...but...the encounters are the best part! cry

Interesting variant if you want to speed up the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen. I would not play without the encounters. Also, 'first' ship is not just the ship with the one ring, it is whichever one of your ships on board currently has the fewest rings, but I am guessing you know that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Right, thanks. Edited.

I also enjoy the encounters and this variant doesn't eliminate them. It's interesting actually, because you have some control over how often you have encounters by the number of ships you have on the board. Suppose later in the game you have a large number of cannons. You can troll for pirates by keeping all three of your ships active; only establish a colony or trade outpost on a turn when you can build a new ship. Don't want encounters? Try to keep only one, maybe two ships active; don't build another until those reach their destinations, build spaceports.

But yeah, this version is only for those who want somewhat less encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
WBRP wrote:
the ship with the one ring

HOW DID THAT SPACESHIP GET MY RING?!? sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Force of Hobbit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.