flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
Excerpt from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Chapter 35

After escaping the clutches of Cao Cao, Liu Bei fled to Jing Zhou to seek refuge under Liu Biao. He was assigned to guard Xin Ye, along the northern borders of Jing Zhou against Cao Cao. Even under Liu Biao, Liu Bei's life continued to be under threat, as Liu Biao's subordinates viewed him as a threat. Assassination attempts were therefore made.

One such attempt was made on the pretext of inviting Liu Bei to preside over a harvest celebration on Liu Biao's behalf, who was ill. Only a timely warning led to his narrow escape. It brought Liu Bei to a secluded village where he bumped into a recluse, Sima Hui, also known as Mr. Water Mirror.

Invited into Sima Hui's little hut, they held a short discussion about Liu Bei's lack of success, despite toiling for many years. Sima Hui pointed out Liu Bei's dearth of talent as the main reason; Liu Bei might have brave generals in the form of Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Zhao Yun, but he lacked sorely a strong strategist to make full use of their talents.

Just prior to leaving, Liu Bei invited Sima Hui in earnest to join his forces. This was Sima Hui's reply:

"I'm but a lazy recluse unsuitable for office work. There are talents ten times superior to myself who can serve you. Go seek them out."

Over the past year, an offer was made to me. A higher position with substantially higher pay, but with much heavier (and different) responsibilities. I enjoy what I was doing and it afforded me the time on weekday nights and weekends to work with my Significant Other on board games. Not to mention play them! I only thought about the offer for a millisecond before saying no.

Three Kingdoms Redux

Edit: Grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.