Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon C
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Bucks
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have a couple of queries which the rules haven't been able to clarify for me:

1) When a player loses their citadel it states in the rules it goes back to the highest value empty space on their reserve board. Does this mean the next time that player takes the build city action that will place their citadel back on the board? What if that square already contains a castle? The rules state you cannot build a castle where you have a citadel, but does the reverse apply?

Which leads to my next question:

2) Is it possible to build multiple castles in the same province? I cannot find anything in the rules that state's that you cannot do this, but the rule about castles and citadels not being able to share a province made me think that might be an oversight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your question 2, the rules summary for the 'Build' Action Card on the final page states that there is a max of 1 Castle per Province. It does seem to be missing from the description of the Build card, but the summary makes it clear (as it seems to be the intent).

Thus, to solve the problem with question 1, I'd say that if you are building a City in a Region with a Castle while your Citadel is available, then you must choose one of the available Cities on the Reserve card rather than the Citadel (and move the Citadel to the vacated slot). Otherwise, you would end up with two Castles in the same region, as the Citadel counts as one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Bucks
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me old fashioned but I would of thought a rules summary is the place to provide a brief overview of the rules, and is not the place to include rules that aren't covered in the main body of the rulebook. But yes you are right, it does say 1 castle per province in the summary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Simon, it should be in the rules somewhere. But at least it's somewhere and makes sense.

The more I think about your Citadel question the more confused I get.
My main question is: Why is it placed on the Reserves track anyway? Wouldn't it be easier to start the game as usual (main side of the Reserves card) and remove the Citadel from game once it has been defeated? having it paced back on the Reserves track causes a lot of confusion:
- can it be re-built?
- if not, what happens when a city is built and taken from a Reserves space with a number higher than the one the Citadel occupies? Is it moved to the right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the one castle per Province thing should have been mentioned in the main rules too. It does seem like it was overlooked, but the summary shows us that the rule was intended to be there.

As the Citadel acts as a City, it seems to me like it should be able to be rebuilt as a City. The rules imply you can select a City from your Reserve card when taking the Build action, so selecting the Citadel or a different City token seems fine. They don't specifically mention it, but it's common sense that you would move the other tokens on the card so that all the highest numbers are covered, of course.

If it was intended that a Citadel couldn't be rebuilt, I'd think it would be mentioned as such in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All very odd.
I don't say it cannot be rebuilt.
Actually the rules only say a Citadel combines the attributes of a city and a castle (not: acts as a city).
So when I rebuild a Citadel:
How many coins do I pay (2=City, 1=Castle... or 3??)
Also do I get VPs from the city card? Or the castle card?

I think it'd be okay to be able to rebuild it, but it'd need an extra bunch of clarifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, the City and Castle scoring cards do make it difficult. I'm beginning to sway to the concept that the Citadel can't be rebuilt.

I guess we might need to wait for clarification of intent from Martin Wallace..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd hope that it CAN be rebuilt, at the cost of three brick (two for the 'city' part, one for the 'castle‘; all to be paid at once). Though as the 3VP will have been claimed, it's arguably not as important anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it can't be rebuilt it would be more sensible to put it on the final space on the reserve track (displacing a city). Put on the next space it would suggest that you build it as a city (two brick, not three) when you next build a city. But that's suggest, nothing stronger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Citadels cannot be rebuilt. The only reason for placing it back on the reserve card is to reduce your reserve limit. If destroyed it takes up a space on your reserve card, does not really matter which one as long as your pieces are arranged on the card to show clearly what your reserve limit is.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger cox
United States
Spartanburg
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lotsa luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.