Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't have time for another game--I have too many now that I've ordered from GMT and have yet to play--but this one intrigues me.

I like that it includes the Pacific Theater and the what-if aspect of it. I've looked for a game like this for many years. I used to play a lot of Avalon Hill's 3rd Reich which I really loved. I tried Totaler Krieg but never was able to get past the rulebook that I found to be difficult to get through. I tried World in Flames and I liked it but the complexity of it defeated the time I had available to play it.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not I should get this but finally decided to pre-order it. The play time seems reasonable and it appears that it will be fine for solitaire play, and the way the game works interests me.

What I don't like, and frankly it made me hesitate signing up for it are the counters. I understand that they are playtest versions so I hope they look better in the final product. The infantry counters look a bit too simple to me--sort of cartoonish. Of course, this is just my opinion, but perhaps an improvement would be an image of units running into battle instead of a couple of men standing in a static pose. Just something to think of.

The map looks very nice and I like the colors.

I am looking forward to the game. I think it will make a fun game and the ideas behind it and how it works are pretty cool. Let's hope it gets to more than 500 orders as I would like to see it hit production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LibertyToad wrote:

What I don't like, and frankly it made me hesitate signing up for it are the counters. I understand that they are playtest versions so I hope they look better in the final product. The infantry counters look a bit too simple to me--sort of cartoonish. Of course, this is just my opinion, but perhaps an improvement would be an image of units running into battle instead of a couple of men standing in a static pose. Just something to think of.

The counters are strictly something they cobbled together for playtest. Once the game goes into final artwork it will have the kind of counters you expect from GMT as well as a nicer map, charts, etc..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Understand that many game designers have no artistic ability at all, so the fact that we often see playtest games with art that is almost 'production quality' makes us spoiled!

I have one game that I'm working on where the designer had NO images of the 500+ counters...just a Word doc listing name and values! So I would never let playtest art worry you /too/ much...though we are always happy to have comments/constructive criticism.

-K
Developer, Cataclysm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, when in the last 10 years has GMT produced bad looking counters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your preorder and your comments.

LibertyToad wrote:

I made the counters, though the icon art has generally been stolen from around the Net. Don't expect the final counters to look like the playtest ones.

I actually don't like little toy soldiers doing action poses on counters. Each piece is several hundred thousand men, after all. That said, I like the icons I chose for the armies -- they are done in a very modern 30's style, though that might not be apparent from little pictures here. A quick look at period books on the war will give you an idea of what I am talking about. I really want a 30s feel to suffuse the final product, but we will have to see what GMT's Art Department brings to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:

LibertyToad wrote:

I made the counters, though the icon art has generally been stolen from around the Net. Don't expect the final counters to look like the playtest ones.

I actually don't like little toy soldiers doing action poses on counters. Each piece is several hundred thousand men, after all. That said, I like the icons I chose for the armies -- they are done in a very modern 30's style, though that might not be apparent from little pictures here. A quick look at period books on the war will give you an idea of what I am talking about. I really want a 30s feel to suffuse the final product, but we will have to see what GMT's Art Department brings to the table.

I do like the aircraft counters. The soldier icons do not seem to match the style of the aircraft counters. I don't want to make a big deal about it--it is really a small point.

The game looks very interesting. Enough so, that I decided to buy it even though I told myself I wasn't going to get another game. I really hope it makes it past the 500 pre-orders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Duensing
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took another look at the counters here in the files section and on ConsimWorld. They're growing on me, FWIW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LibertyToad wrote:
I took another look at the counters here in the files section and on ConsimWorld. They're growing on me, FWIW.

No worries.

I actually had goofy 30s style icons for tanks and planes and ships, but Bill really wanted actual silhouettes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Bill was the one who wanted My Little Ponies on the counters...

Oh wait, nevermind...that was my 7 year old daughter .

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:

Whatever you do, don't take out Rosie the Riveter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.