Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
//EDIT:
Sorry, wrong forum. blush
Maybe someone with Mod-Superpowers could move this to the general section? Thanks!

As much as I'm enjoying the game at the moment (in fact SPELLCASTER currently resides among my most favourite games EVER), I still have a few (thematic) gripes about it:

1) The theme is VERY generic. Come on, it's just two Wizards facing off, attacking each other with generic Magic Spells? Again? I've thought about it a little and came to the conclusion, that it would have been easy to come up with a different, more exciting theme. A Western-Theme for example, with two gangs fighting each other. Yellow Crystals would become Health Points, Blue Crystals would become Money. You'll still play Attack-Cards, naturally. Healing-Cards (Yellow) could become something like Whisky or a Band-Aid, Blue-Cards could become Actions like Gambling, Robbing the Stage-Coach, etc., anything that would give you Money. Just a random thought.

2) The rules explain, that Yellow Crystals are supposed to be Magic Energy. I found this rather confusing and unintuitive, given their function, so, when I started to teach the game, I taught it like this: Yellow Crystals are your Life-Points (when they're gone, you're dead). Blue Crystals are not Sapphires, but Magic Energy (Mana): when you've accumulated enough, you've become so powerful, that you automatically win the duel.

3) And I also think that the whole Incantation-thingy on some cards is a bit dull. It's just a red symbol with an enhanced function, the card itself doesn't tell me, that it's actually a lot more powerful. Why not make all the Incantions Creatures, and all the other Cards just Spells? This way it would feel a lot more thematic: I'm blasting away Spells at my opponent, and occasionally I summon a Creature, which (of course) is more powerful since it "stays" in the arena, and acts on it's own (automatically becomes active).

Well, that's it, basically. Just pet-peeves. The mechanics are pretty much perfect, and I'm still having a blast with this game. Very unpredictable, very dynamic gameplay.
Hugely recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mott
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diceman2k4 wrote:
A Western-Theme for example, with two gangs fighting each other.

That seems just as generic in my opinion. Now if you'd suggested two street gangs a la West Side Story, you are delving into unique territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
Well, maybe "generic" was a bad choice of word. What I actually meant is, that if you have a Fantasy-Theme without a "real" foundation, like LORD OF THE RINGS or GAME OF THRONES, or whatever, it'll always remain somewhat vague and abstract. What does it actually mean to "summon" a "Firebroom"? Nobody knows. It's just an effect on a card with a pretty picture, whereas on the other hand, I don't need to own a gun to have a real concept of what it means to fire one. We've all watched our share of Corbucci- and Leone-Movies, therefore some Western-Trope, as generic as might be, will always conjure up a somewhat tangible picture in my imagination.

All in all the Western-argument was just an example. Anything out of the real world might work better than "Two Wizards fighting it out on the Sapphire Isle". On the other hand, maybe that's just me. And I certainly didn't mean to bitch, it's still a great and mighty clever game which I absolutely adore, I just wanted to give an example of how I feel with Fantasy-themed games in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank DiLorenzo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
3) And I also think that the whole Incantation-thingy on some cards is a bit dull. It's just a red symbol with an enhanced function, the card itself doesn't tell me, that it's actually a lot more powerful. Why not make all the Incantions Creatures, and all the other Cards just Spells? This way it would feel a lot more thematic: I'm blasting away Spells at my opponent, and occasionally I summon a Creature, which (of course) is more powerful since it "stays" in the arena, and acts on it's own (automatically becomes active).

Great idea, I like that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rnrgames wrote:

Quote:

Great idea, I like that one.

Isn't that Pokemon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.