Subject: How to counter iron spam rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott W
United Kingdom
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
I was playing a 4-player game of Civilization tonight (featuring both expansions). I won with a military victory against another player who invested everything in culture and nothing in defence, but one of the other players adopted what seemed to be a horribly good strategy. She built as many barracks and shipyards as possible, researched every technology that allows you to pay an iron resource to deal out damage in some way during a battle (I think there are 3 such technologies in total), adopted Monarchy and used one of her capital city's actions every turn to harvest an iron resource. She quickly built up a massive stockpile of iron which meant that if I attacked her, even though my units were of a higher rank, she could afford to deal something like 6 damage for every iron resource she spent. So, she put 2-3 armies in each of her cities and then researched a technology every turn; if I hadn't won a military victory we both would have reached space flight in 2 turns, except there was no feasible way for me to attack her as a means of obstructing her since there was no conceivable way for me to sustain all that damage and still overcome her city's combat bonus (her shipyards and barracks would be negated by mine but she'd still get +6 or even +10 for basic cities).

Any ideas on how to counter something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't put armies in your cities!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
A single iron spent triggers a single ability, you don't have all abilities trigger on one expenditure. (Sorry to state something so blazingly obvious that works like this in just about every game, but the text read like this may have been an issue).

As mentioned, can't "garrison" cities.

Barracks and Shipyards are both star buildings last I checked?? Too lazy to get my box out to double check. If so, cant put both into one city, therefore there shouldn't be more than 3 buildings out, and you'll have plenty of buildings available to counterbuild. "Hoarding" them isn't really a thing, only in high player count can someone get harshly left out.

As for "counters" unrelated to probable mistakes made:

Collect Irons yourself and hoard them, there's only so many to go around.

If someone goes for barrackpalooza, consider joining in instead of whatever other star building plan you had, don't let them build up massive lead there.

Also, even ignoring the whirlwind of mistakes involved, its kind of a bad strategy. Going for defense and keeping armies home doesn't win a military victory, so someone non-military can just out-speed it while someone military just hits someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott W
United Kingdom
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Collect Irons yourself and hoard them, there's only so many to go around.

Ah, we assumed that if there were no resource tokens left then she could just take one from the unused hut and village tokens.

We also assumed with starred buildings that you could have no more than one of each type per city... that changes things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one token of each kind per player (so in a two player game there is only 2 iron available)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep, there seems to be quite a few rules errors here.

- There is only so much iron available as players in the game (3 in a 3-player game)
- If you pay 1 resource, you can only activate 1 technology. So if she had 3 technologies that need iron, she would have to spend 3 iron in order to use them all at the same time.
- It is not allowed to have army figures in you city center. If you move them there, they get removed from the board (and the city gets fortified)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anduin wrote:
- If you pay 1 resource, you can only activate 1 technology. So if she had 3 technologies that need iron, she would have to spend 3 iron in order to use them all at the same time.

Also worth noting in case the OP missed it that each such ability can only be used once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott W
United Kingdom
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
There would only be 3 iron resources in a 3-player game? Could I get a rulebook page reference for this, please? This is quite an earth-shaking revolution given the way we've always played Civ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Set Up Market Resources
Place one of each market resource token per player near the market
board, returning any extras to the box. For instance, if there are
three players, three of each market resource token are used and the
remaining market resource tokens are returned to the box

page 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
scottmw90 wrote:
There would only be 3 iron resources in a 3-player game? Could I get a rulebook page reference for this, please? This is quite an earth-shaking revolution given the way we've always played Civ.

Page 10, step 4 of setup:
Rulebook wrote:
Place one of each market resource token per player near the market board, returning any extras to the box. For instance, if there are three players, three of each market resource token are used and the remaining market resource tokens are returned to the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
scottmw90 wrote:

It actually creates an interesting dynamic of "hoarding" Incense or Silk, preventing the players who need them for Education or Metalcasting or horseback riding from using them unless they trade with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.