Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(It's finally live! Thanks for your patience with this week's power outages and such. =-)

This week's game is a certified cult classic...a Milton Bradley title that makes even hardened hobby gamers want to play "Once More, with Feeling!" In Buffy the Vampire Slayer, players roll and move their way through Sunnyvale, fighting ancient vampires and searching for mystical artifacts...all while experiencing their own brand of teen drama (presumably). The panel searches for weapons, researches magic spells, and calls for help from the denizens of the Whedonverse while trying to prevent Buffy from being destroyed or turned into a vampire. Does Buffy deserve its cult classic status, or does it feel seven times longer than Firefly? Download now to find out!

http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2014/11/episode-66-buffy-v...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olejnicak
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a thrifted copy of this game, and am really looking forward to hearing how it is, as I haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt McMahon
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voltan wrote:
I have a thrifted copy of this game, and am really looking forward to hearing how it is, as I haven't played it yet.

I had the chance to play this one years ago and it's a descent game. I've been looking to pick up a thrift copy for years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olejnicak
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boltana wrote:
voltan wrote:

I had the chance to play this one years ago and it's a descent game. I've been looking to pick up a thrift copy for years now.

I imagine it's better with the right group and a beer or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Check the Great Big Table podcast (http://greatbigtable.com), a podcast about expanding the board game hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
So glad that you guys have finally got around to this one. Now we'll have to play our copy.

Does this mean that Save the Whales is close behind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Marquez
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge Buffy fan and I just finally played the game after almost a whole year of it sitting unopened on my game shelf. I had a blast, but I think it was mostly because I am such a fan of the show. I'm actually afraid to listen to your show in fear that you may hate it or speak foul of the show I love(d)! haha, either way I shall listen to your awesome podcast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: Thanks to Jim Jones for pointing us at this link to a fan expansion for seasons 5-7!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1101893/buffy-game-expansion...

Though this game did split the panel, it's my opinion that there is a lot of value in the box. I'm looking forward to playing again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...Scott Nicholson! Appeared on Flip The Table! Awesome!

Great episode, besides that, entertaining as ever...

...As for the Battle of Wits...

Oh, man, I loved Woof! as a kid. There a few episodes floating around online, but as I recall the series hasn't been released on dvd and I think only the first couple of seasons got released on vhs (...I may have tried to find a copy to purchase...).

Three lead actors to play three different boys, each with their own corresponding in universe dog, but a couple more dogs payed their corresponding dogs. Not so much a 'power,' though - It was uncontrollable transformation, forewarned a few seconds prior (giving him little chance to hide) by an itchy nose. As I recall, it played itself mostly as a straight drama which just happened to have a protagonist who sometimes turned into a dog, with some episodes having him as a dog more than a human, others as a human more than a dog, and some had him transforming at ridiculously inconvenient moments.

The first episode of the first two boys were repeated on CITV recently... It holds up a lot more than the 90s revival of The Tomorrow People (The first two episodes of which were also repeated in the same weekend) based on the sample available on that weekend.

Notably, the only character to remain in all the series is Miss (Later Mrs, she married the second boy's father at the end of the second boy's run) Jessop, who was played by Liza Goddard, who played a space pirate in the Doctor Who serial Terminus. (Also the first actor to play the boy had the most hilariously appropriate name ever considering the role - Edward Fidoe. That Debbie Moon created and wrote a television series about werewolves doesn't quite match up to that) - I was about four when it started, so it basically just stayed on through my childhood while I was watching kids television.

I am blaming you for the theme tune, the other constant for the series, now being firmly stuck in my head, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds pretty amazing, actually! It's a shame that there are so many popular kids shows that never got a proper DVD release. In the states, I'm thinking of You Can't Do That on Television and Square One TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What really annoys me is when I can import english language versions of shows from Germany but there's no signs of a UK release, e.g. The Animals of Farthing Wood or (somewhat infuriatingly considering this is one of CBBC's current most popular shows, and actually one of the best UK dramas on television at the moment, regardless of target audience) Wolfblood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Dew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlipTheTableChris wrote:
" In Buffy the Vampire Slayer, players roll and move their way through Sunnyvale,

Um, SunnyDale not SunnyVale

I was a little bummed to find out that none of the gang were Buffy fans since I think it would have had that extra level of bance to the episode. However, the cosmic coincidence of finding a NIS copy hours before listening to the episode totally made my weekend! I'm excited to play it and am hopeful at the potential for customizing expansions for it Hope some SnowCon folks will be up for a game or two laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boltana wrote:

I had the chance to play this one years ago and it's a descent game. ...

Wow, a dungeon crawl about vampires via a themed expansion module?
No that sounds Bancey!

But deep down, I know you meant decent! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welp, that's embarrassing! Good catch, MsDew!

Please do bring your Buffy to SnowCon. We'll bring the Wrestlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Counter
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never watched an episode of the show, but was pleasantly surprised by the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Rupp
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The posts by Chris and Matt above turned on a light bulb in my brain....

Descent with wrestlers.

I'm assuming the only reason that doesn't exist is because it would create some sort of economic vacuum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Dew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlipTheTableChris wrote:
We'll bring the Wrestlers.

Hmm, so if a wrestler is sired, do they each turn into the Undertaker or become their evil opposite?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarah Michelle Gellar didn't have a previous great film?

Did you see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruel_Intentions ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blanton
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard the episode. I've been out of the loop. Love it!

As a Buffy/Angel fan, I loved the episode and want to play the game. I've been scouring the Goodwills in the N.FL S.GA area for it and really any game. Thank you!

I'm surprised, Chris, that you haven't seen more episodes of these shows. I'm a classic Doctor Who fan myself, BUT if you like the Russell T. Davies era of Doctor Who and Torchwood, I think you would dig these two shows. Davies stated that he wanted to make a British show like them. He got his wish with Torchwood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Blanton
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cool if this game had a betrayer element. OZ turns into the werewolf and turns on the group, or Willow turns into the evil witch, Angel becomes Angelus and even Buffy could become her Vampire Doppelganger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.