Popular Tags: [View All]
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After many years, we tried Tannhauser again, with the new rules, and found the game extremely improved.

However, we are finding Patmos Amulet to be a game breaking ability. If Hermann gets to use it, the turn goes completely his way and considered the low mental values of the Union that's usually not a problematic thing to successfully use.

Is there any variant/house rule that you have tried to make this less powerful? We have considered Yula as a substitute, but we like Herman in general, it's just that Attack a friend + Move away + you do not activate seems a super powerful combo.

Any thoughts?

NB: I am not saying the game is broken, I'm just saying that we found this to be a problem and asking for suggestions from friendly gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reich are weak compared to the Union (in my experience) and Herman is very weak without the Patmos amulet. As you say, it is powerful and can be a game-changer, but I would hesitate to say that it is too powerful compared to what other factions have.

Also, if you know Herman is around clutching the Patmos amulet, it's probably a good idea for the union not to bunch up close...

I really like the game under its revamped rules as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reich don't usually have lots of dice to roll vs the Union. (Normally).

And the Reich characters are pretty weak in terms of stamina. So it balances out.

The Union need to use their smoke grenades and grenades a lot. I just played a game today where Tala's TNT took out a fully healthy Eva Kramer in 1 blow, and severely crippled a Stosstruppen because they were bunched too closely together.

Always have a Union character with a Command Pack so you get some bonus points for Initiative rolls, so if the Union starts first, activate Barry first and make him go after the weaker Reich characters. His Combat Pack lets him roll 6 dice with a potential 2 more if he rolls a Natural 10, enabling him to kill another Reich character in one go. Barry also has the best stamina, and sending up Reich troops against him... well, let's just say he takes a lot of killing. Even down to just Barry, he was able to kill 2 Reich troops before going down himself.

So... no, the Patmos amulet isn't game breaking. My opponent sent the commandos after Hermann, and he had to move around a lot, and failed a couple of rolls with the Patmos as well, and they just had mental stats of 3.

The fun is learning how to make the best of the troops you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I also don't think it's TOO powerful; devastating if used efficiently, but can be worked around.

Let's say Heizinger even has Hermetica Occulta (must win mental duel to enter his path), Helm of Diomedes (must win mental duel to target him with an attack), as well. Sounds ridiculously overpowered especially with Union's low mental values...but he is still inherently weak in Stamina - you just need a nontraditional (i.e. not shooting with a gun) way of getting successes dealt to him.

One way is grenades - they can be bounced off path and deal Automatic successes. You do need to be smart/lucky enough that he ends up in a circle that can be affected by the grenade, but its a good start. Union and Shogunate both have grenade options to do this.

Next is placement of strategically placed ordinance like TNT bomb, Wolf Trap, Bouncing Betty, Land Mines, Ilirium Walljack, etc. Again, Union and Shogunate have the most options here.

Lastly is the ability of non-human machines that are immune to Heizinger's mind games. Hound DOG, Brother's Bomb, and Voivodes are the options.

So if I'm facing the Reich and afraid of mind games:

As Union, I'd take Ramirez, with Brother's Bomb or Bouncing Betty if I'm also taking Aponi and Edison with his Walljack, and as many frag grenades as possible.

As Shogunate, I'd bring Wolf with Wolf trap and Ashigaru with Land Mines.

As Matriarchy, I'd bring Voivodes over human troopers and definitely Zor'ka.

But on the other hand, if you plan to face Reich mind tricks and bud for that, they could always go melee-centric instead and you'd probably be in a vulnerable spot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice one, Artemus. But I'm basing my reply on the standard base game. If we have more expansions, yours is definitely the way I'd go. I wouldn't bring Barry into any Castle Ksiaz game but I'd bring Ramirez instead. Hound Dog is a PITA to kill. And devastating in attack. Bouncing Betty's. Wolf traps. Yup. Make it risky for the Reich to even move near Union troops while sending Hound Dog after Hermann.

But if using just the base game characters: grenades, smoke, Overwatch. I'd even go so far as to sacrifice the commando Alpha. Run right up to Hermann guns a blazing, or lob a grenade at him. The flash gun has 7 potential hits. The grenade deals 4 automatic wounds. If the Union can take out Hermann for the loss of 1 commando, they're probably slightly ahead. Especially if the Delta can back him up and make a run in to pick up the flash gun and ditch the pistol.

Lots of options. Lots of fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sorry, yep with core set only, use those expendable troopers! And save CP to boost mental values.

Another thing worth mentioning is that Heizinger effectively has only 3 HP - his last row is so low in values that he becomes nearly useless at 3 wounds until he heals. Can't tell you how many times union has got a lucky shot at him with 3 wounds before he even did anything noteworthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Killer Spaceman wrote:
Another thing worth mentioning is that Heizinger effectively has only 3 HP - his last row is so low in values that he becomes nearly useless at 3 wounds until he heals. Can't tell you how many times union has got a lucky shot at him with 3 wounds before he even did anything noteworthy.

Re: Hermann. So true. Happened to me in a game last week and all he could do was crawl around, giving Obscura Korps troops that +1 die to combat attacks before the Union finally finished him off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.