Popular Tags: [View All]
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
Infection

Story

Two nights ago you were woke up by police sirens and lights outside of your apartment. You went downstairs to find out what was going on and were ordered at gunpoint to stay in the apartment building. You were told that the building was under quarantine and more information would follow. There was panic amongst the several people who had woken up and met in the lobby. It was a small building, yet there were still twelve people who were meeting with you. Over the last two night five of the others had died. They were killed based on testing done by the Center for Disease Control. It seemed that they were Infected and the test killed them, the disease with it. Sadly, last night the Doctor who had been administering the tests were dead. You have found his supplies and understand that he had two main purposes. One was to protect people through inoculation from the disease, however due to the amount of medicine left and how the Doctor seemed to be killed, you need to do so quietly, one person at a time. Based on the notes, the medicine doesn’t last long. Secondly, you can administer the test on one other person to see if they carry the disease. If they are Infected, the results have been horrible, instant death. If not, nothing seems to happen. You need to decide as a team who to test. You can’t reveal your role. The fate of humanity could be in your hands. Don’t let the Infection become an outbreak.

Description

Infection is a bluffing game for seven players (more to come possibly). In the game there is one starting Infected player, a Doctor, and five normal people with no special powers. The game is played over rounds where, as a group, the players (including the Infected and the Doctor) decide on one player to test for Infection. If Infected, they are removed from the game. If they are not Infected, nothing happens. If there are no more Infected players, then the non-infected players win the game. If there are still Infected players left, then the Doctor may secretly choose to inoculate another player in the game, thus saving them from being Infected that night. After that, the most recently added Infected player gets to choose another player in the game to Infect. If they have not been Inoculated, then they become Infected as well and learn the name of the player that infected them. The game continues until all of the Infected players have been removed from the game or if there are an equal number of Infected to non-Infected, plus one player (ie. Three Infected and two non-Infected).

Roles:

Infected: During day, looks and acts as a normal person in the quarantined area. At night, if the most recently Infected player, may Infect another player in the game. The Original Infected Player will know the person they Infect and that player will know them. The next person Infected will only know the person that infected them and not the Original Infector. And so on.

Doctor: Each night may choose to Inoculate another player in the game. If that player is not Infected, they will be protected for the next night. If that player is Infected, nothing happens. The Doctor does not learn if she was successful or not. Starts the game as Inoculated. The Doctor cannot Inoculate the same player two nights in a row. The Doctor may Inoculate herself.

Person: They have no special powers.

Game process:

Start of cycle: Moderator gives current Infection level.

Day Cycle: Players vote for a player to test for Infection. Players have ten minutes to decide who to test, with a one minute warning provided by the moderator. If the player is Infected, they are removed from the game. If they are not, nothing happens. If there are Infected players left, the game continues. If there are not, the game is over and the good team has won.

Night Stage: Doctor Inoculates a player in the game. The Doctor cannot Inoculate the same player two nights in a row. The Doctor may Inoculate herself.

Most recent Infected gets to infect another player in the game. On night one it will be the starting Infected player. If a player is successfully Infected they will learn the name of the player that Infected them.

Clarifications:

On N1 the Doctor is Inoculated and gets to Inoculate one other player. The Inoculation only lasts for that night cycle.

If there is a tie in the votes and there is an Infected to be tested, then the Infected will be tested and removed from the game.

FEEDBACK

Firstly, it was really fun, but I'm not sure it was balanced.
The major issue, that I think outweighs anything else, is that if good mislynches on D1, even if good lynches correctly every single day after that, evil will still win as long as they avoid the bodyguard saves (easy if they happen to convert the bodyguard)

I'd like to try another round with something like an unconvertable doctor, or a rule that says evils die after a certain period of time, to counteract the fact that evils are going to convert more people each night than the village will lynch.
Other options: a rule that says if the village lynches correctly, evil doesn't get a conversion.
Maybe even something as simple as a good/evil seer.
Need a mechanic to break ties – Perhaps always in favour of good.
Doctor gets to inoculate as many people as Infection rate at start of day/2 rounded up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:
Benesephiir
DeMorcerf
Gastel
ljtrigirl
maytheodds
nolemonplease
Vanderscamp

7 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1266...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandiekinz
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Professor Xavier convinced Katniss to leave her home at 221B Baker Street. She jumped into the Impala shouting, "Allons-y!" .....
badge
.... to take The Ring down the yellow brick road, all through the black of the 'verse, to Narnia, to shine like a star, while saving the Enterprise from the Six-fingered Slytherin Sith.
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is kinda like Panic Station?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm more than able to follow through... Just not for everyone, maybe just for you.
badge
No lights on the horizon, no sign of what's ahead. If it wasn't for your kindness lately, I'd never get out of bed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds kind of like The Thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
badge
When we get bored we like to sit around, sit around and stare at at the werewolves, at the seers, at the auxen, at the villys.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got infected by Cassandra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think it's inspired by Panic Station, however a far more streamlined version. No board. No items. It's a conversion game that was inspired by other conversion games I played and modded far before Panic Ststion came out.

I know The Thing is a game. Didn't play. Didn't read the rules.

This is not meant to be a PBEM game. We are trying to develop something more and will see if it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
When we get bored we like to sit around, sit around and stare at at the werewolves, at the seers, at the auxen, at the villys.
mbmbmbmbmb
In. I'll drop so other people can try if we get close to the Max though.

I think what I'd try adding is:
1) Innate inoculation for an unknown villager that is resistant the first time they're attempted to be infected.
2) Ties are both inoculated. If it'd been 3-Kiwi and 3-LJ on D3 last time, we would have tested Vanders the next day and had a much better chance at winning.

The only other thing that I can think of would be making the Doctor the way that I'd initially interpreted it.
N1: Doctor autoinoculate and N1 selection.
N2: N1 selection and N2 selection.
N3: N2 selection and N3 selection.

Basically, I thought that inoculation either lasted until an infect happened (like if the infected went after the N2 selection on N2 then they'd be free on N3) or for 2 nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karafruit Villager-Thrower
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
please don't fluff my kiwifruits
mbmbmbmbmb
I just called a wolf hit on maytheodds on Cassandra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm more than able to follow through... Just not for everyone, maybe just for you.
badge
No lights on the horizon, no sign of what's ahead. If it wasn't for your kindness lately, I'd never get out of bed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Belash wrote:
I would think it's inspired by Panic Station, however a far more streamlined version. No board. No items. It's a conversion game that was inspired by other conversion games I played and modded far before Panic Ststion came out.

I know The Thing is a game. Didn't play. Didn't read the rules.

This is not meant to be a PBEM game. We are trying to develop something more and will see if it works out.

Yeah, I haven't play the Thing game either. I meant just like thematically it sounded exactly like we were in the film.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to try it a couple more times as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
How many hours away is 7pm this evening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I watch? actually I just thougth about it... I can't watch Cassie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
How many hours away is 7pm this evening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:

Right???

Like, I'd play now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conversion is fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

Right???

Like, I'd play now.

A guy has got to work.

IF there's seven and someone else wants to mod...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
Belash wrote:
ljtrigirl wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:

Right???

Like, I'd play now.

A guy has got to work.

IF there's seven and someone else wants to mod...

How does inoculation work in real life?

Someone will have to know they were inoculated to know to ignore an infection?

Oh, or does it need a mod?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karafruit Villager-Thrower
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
please don't fluff my kiwifruits
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on making an IRC bot to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Kiwi13cubed wrote:
I'm working on making an IRC bot to play.

An "I Recall Correctly" bot? I think that might be called a diary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game is set up in Cassandra. Say hello in modchat when you're around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
Total Blue. Total Woman.
badge
But listen again. Is it really the wind, or is it the sound of somebody running one step ahead of the dark?
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjaGastel, I'm going to Disneyland tonight and have to miss out on this game, so I need to you to be awesome for me. I trust that you will bring all of your Canadian super powers with you as you endeavor to either infect or fight the infection.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluelise wrote:
ninjaGastel, I'm going to Disneyland tonight and have to miss out on this game, so I need to you to be awesome for me. I trust that you will bring all of your Canadian super powers with you as you endeavor to either infect or fight the infection.ninja

OMG!

So when you signed up it was a complete mistake??? LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmmm. I think I need to play 2-3 more time before determining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
Hmmmmm. I think I need to play 2-3 more time before determining.

I'll keep running them.

I do agree that there is a balance issue to Evil and I'd like to fix it while keeping the game streamlined and easy to manage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please use this thread for all discussions regarding the Infection game. Thank you.

Infection Playtesting Discussion Thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.