1 Posts

Questor» Forums » Variants

Subject: Thief Variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
A
flag msg tools
First, I would like to say that I really enjoy this game. It is simple, yet surprisingly deep, and a total blast to play. I play this game a lot with my friends and we all enjoy it.

However, no one ever wants to play as the blue thief, and the person who ends up playing as him doesn't have as much fun.

The reason for this is because the Thief doesn't really have any interaction with the game. You just go in a beeline in two directions to each stone and then you leave. You do not interact with monsters, and you usually do not run into the situation of being the last hero that the Healer needs to visit. Sometimes this happens, and then the Thief player tends to have more fun. But this is usually not the case.

Now, I understand the necessity of this. In some ways the Thief acts as a timer to the game. If no one else wins, the Thief is pretty much guaranteed to be victorious. My game group just wishes we could spice it up a little bit.

We were considering adding some variant rules to make the Thief player just a bit more interesting, without violating the core game. Here are three ideas we had:

1. The Thief player can "backstab" each other player once per game. A backstabbed player simply has his next turn skipped. This only works once per game (thematically, the backstabbed player just will not trust the Thief again).

2. The gems that the Thief is collecting are imbued with magical influence over the monsters. A Thief with one gem can, if he desires, interact with monsters like the Healer. A Thief with two gems can, if he desires, interact with monsters like the Wizard.

We have not tried variant 2, but we play with variant 1 a lot, which we have fun with. Another idea we had would involve using two red gems and placing them in the other corners. Blue gems would have one ability and the red gems would have a different ability. You would need two of the same colored gems to leave the board. We haven't really thought about it much, but its the start of an idea.

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.