Subject: A Propaganda Card variant for any COIN game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The only problems I have with the Prop card mechanic in the COIN games is that there's a chance that the card can come out really early (potentially even in the first turn of the game), and that you could draw two Prop cards in a row. To avoid that, here's an idea for a new deck-creating mechanic that can apply to any of the COIN games (it requires a little more setup):

When setting up the deck, split it into twice as many piles (of half the size) that what is described in the rules. Lay out the piles and number them (so you have pile#1, pile#2, pile#3 etc). Put a Prop card into each of the even-numbered piles, and then shuffle all of the piles separately. Then put the piles together in odd-even-odd-even-odd-even order.

e.g. if you normally have four piles of 12 Event cards each + 1 Prop card, then instead create eight piles of 6 Event cards each. Then mix a Prop card into the second, fourth, sixth, and eighth piles, shuffle each pile individually, and put them together in first-second-third-fourth-fifth-sixth-seventh-eighth order to create the full deck.

It makes things a little more predictable, but I think it'd work better because it'd prevent anyone from drawing a Prop card in the first few turns (since you have to get through one pile of cards before you have a chance of drawing a Prop), and it guarantees that every Prop card will have an effect (since you'll never have two in a row).

I don't think this would break anything, would it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would work well to, as you say, make campaigns a bit more predictable. It won't break anything, since it merely pre-rigs a situation that can result from the normal setup.

Winter cards work much like this in Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar, with the idea that participants more or less knew when winter weather would hit.

The Andean Abyss short scenario also works this way, to ensure a reasonable spread of Prop Rounds when there are only 2 in the scenario.

With the predictability, you lose some play variety. But I hope folks agree that there is in any case plenty of that. If an early Prop Round is something that bothers your group, this kind of late seeding of Prop cards should satisfy.

Thanks for posting! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EDG
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thanks! I had the idea rattling around in my mind for a bit - last game we got our first Prop Card on the third card of the game, which seemed a bit soon. And before I posted today I was setting up for a solo play of FitL and the very first card was a Coup card, which seemed a bit too early!

I think this variant just gives the game a chance to actually develop a bit before slamming everyone into a Prop/Coup phase, and also you know that the Prop cards are going to be fairly evenly spread out (and you won't have a situation where you get a Prop card at the top of one pile and the next one at the bottom of the next pile, and thus have a huge number of Events in between).

I suppose if you don't want to make everything this predictable then you could just split the first pile from the rules into two and put the Prop card in the second half of that, and do the other piles as normal - that would definitely delay the first Prop card but would still mean that you can get one Prop card immediately after another (if you really want that to have a chance of happening).

I'll give it a go anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Split the deck into four equal little decks, put a prop card into the middle (roughly, just estimate) of each little deck and than put the four back into one. Play out to the third prop card. Works for AA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDG_ wrote:
The only problems I have with the Prop card mechanic in the COIN games is that there's a chance that the card can come out really early (potentially even in the first turn of the game), and that you could draw two Prop cards in a row.

Prop card as first card of the game came up in one of my very early playtest games [as Government]. I was flush with cash but I had to carefully meter funds because it was potentially going to be a long time before I got more. I can attest that it doesn't break the game. It certainly does change the Government strategy, which enhances replayability. I'm not sure I'd consider that a problem. What do you see as the problem with a first turn Prop card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.