Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Five years ago, we had played this once, and abandoned the game. This is what you do when you are afflicted with the curse of the new. Some people have more money than brains, buy the latest releases, play it once or even twice, then snobbishly put the game into their library of 500 + games, and look for more games, rejecting the new game as being flawed. Now that we are older, wiser and poorer, we are starting to realize that there were some games we didn't really give a chance. So Vasco de Guama was back on the table, and there were 6 of us.

I paired up with Craig, since he had to leave early, while Trevor paired up with Gary. Player order was Don, Tim, Craig/Norbert and Trevor/Gary. I didn't mind going third. We got the merchant, put on a merchant ship on the row that gives a bonus ship and chose a 6 value boat. I would have liked to have had a chance to launch it on turn 1, but we needed 3 crew, and given that the First Free of Charge Action Marker was at 12 (or somethng close to that number), there was a high chance that once the sequence numbers from 13-20 ran out, then we would have to pay for sequence numbers below 12. So we would have been really tight for launching a ship. So we decided to get crew and earn money.

Trevor/Gary got to an initial lead launching a boat. What slowed Don down was that he had two 9 ships that required 5 crew. But Tim had taken the priest a couple of times in a row so he had 4 white meeples, and we had taken the priest another round, and we had 2 white meeples, so that only left one white meeple, and Don wasn't going to take the priest for just 1 white meeple. But Tim eventually relented and sent out his 5 ships releasing the white meeples back into supply.

Craig and I were close to Trevor and Gary. We avoided launching a boat on the 4th round, so we wanted to launch 2 boats in the fifth and final round. We were going last since Trevor/Gary had the leader. Craig and I talked about where to place our first meeple, and Craig talked me into placing it in the ship area to get a "good" ship. I wanted to place in the launch area to guarantee ourselves 2 ship launches, but no one was placing there yet. The second time round, we got a meeple in the launch area, but we were third launch, meaning there were only 2 more spaces. Tim, who went before us, took the last spot, even though he was short of cash, just to deny us. Tim actually had 2 meeples in the launch area, and ended up just taking money with both meeples. So our boat would only be worth 3 VP, instead of a minimum 7 VP available on the board. The minimum 4 VPs cost us a chance to win the game, as the scores were:

Trevor/Gary 65,
Craig/Norbert 61,
Don 53,
Tim 52

Despite the screw job, it was good to play the game again. I think we could have prevented what happened by placing our first meeple in the launch area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it frustrating that Tim, who came last, stopped you from winning through a dud move (for him) instead of advancing his own position?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:
Isn't it frustrating that Tim, who came last, stopped you from winning through a dud move (for him) instead of advancing his own position?

Yeah, it is frustrating, but Tim is an equal opportunitist in the way he plays, so it was nothing personal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:

Well, obviously they DECIDED to place first on a differentaction and take the risk of the ship area filling up. So there wouldn't be anything to complain about except their own move (which turned out to be a "dud") anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:
Amnese wrote:

Well, obviously they DECIDED to place first on a differentaction and take the risk of the ship area filling up. So there wouldn't be anything to complain about except their own move (which turned out to be a "dud") anyway.

Well, they could justifiably complain that Tim's action was of no game-benefit to Tim, but of game-winning benefit to Trevor and Gary. It's the type of action that many gamers dislike, I was just wondering how Norbert felt as he didn't seem too concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the introduction

Also, i was thinking this is what I was looking forward last game (also cool, Tim would like it):

There were 2 spots open on the highest row of ships, both for 11's, and there was only one 11 owned by another player

And two 11 ships on the market.

I didnt have any ship on the highest row, so I wanted to place the "1" on the ships, pay 4 to take both 11s and probably not even launch them (since i didnt have much crew) or launch them on a lower colum to get like 9 points + 4 for the going up

Unfortunately I was the second player, and the first player put the 1 on the ship area
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.