Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently bought a couple of copies of D-Day off of eBay. I bought the 1961 edition. The first one I got was the 1961B edition, as the supplement has a copyright of 1962. But the second copy I got has the 1961 reference folder, so I believe it is the 1961A edition.

Unfortunately both copies had several missing counters, so I've been sorting to get a full set. And I noticed some differences about the counters that surprised me.

1. The 1961A counters seem ideal. They are nicely centered and have a slightly bigger font.

2. The counters in my 1961B edition were obviously cobbled together by the previous owner. While they all have green backs, there are two distinct colors. Most are a medium green back. But a few have a very deep green back. Unfortunately both types of these counters have the fronts being poorly centered, the printing being pushed to the right side. Also, the blue color seems a bit more pale than the nice 1961A counters.

I'm wondering if any AH collectors can illuminate any details about how the counter quality went with AH games? Generally I like these green-backed counters. When did they go away? The original quality was great - very desirable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Champagne
United States
Leesville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
Great question.

IMHO, the answer is that it saved company money to move away from the fancy counter backing.

Original prints of Panzerblitz had really fancy faux leather counter backing: red for Sov and black for Germ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.