Subject: Nisei at Worlds (or How I Learned to Love the Psi Game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sasha F
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know some of you guys were disappointed that there wasn't as much innovation or variety at Worlds as you had hoped. You'll have to settle for a sick Nisei Division deck that killed a number of the Top 16 guys in casual games. He also went 5-2 on the day with it, which is no meager feat.

http://teamcovenant.com/kevoun/2014/11/11/nisei-at-worlds-or...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Explosive 6
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Been meaning to make a Nisei deck for ages, love it, will have to give it a whirl!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto H
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Still not a fan of the lucky psi mechanics:

"I proceed to win something like 8 Psi games in a row"
"I win multiple psi games"
"I win multiple Psi games"
"I win a few more Psi games"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casper jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
With Nisei Division though, it's not just luck. The Psi game is tweaked in your favor every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unmeel Banerjea
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I've lost 8 psi games in a row without playing against Nisei Division. Can testify it's the most frustrating feeling ever.

I've also won 7 in a row in a game when I was playing Medtech. A single Caprice completely blanked 7 straight access attempts. I felt bad for the runner because it was really kind of dumb. Granted, it gets more interesting if econ gets low enough, but it can straight up take over a game. The rest of the time the mechanic is pretty fun though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even without Nisei Division, it's not just luck. The numbers are picked and have economic consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, it's not like you are flipping a coin (three sided).

Also, I liked the part of the story where he Mushins an Overwriter and Caprices it laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zebadiah wrote:
Even without Nisei Division, it's not just luck. The numbers are picked and have economic consequences.

Agree with this. The less credits each player has, the higher the consequence of every decision on how much to spend on Psi. Nisei makes this decision less backbreaking for the Corp (though just as important, as you can now actually GAIN money).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arto H
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aermet69 wrote:
With Nisei Division though, it's not just luck. The Psi game is tweaked in your favor every time.

I would say Nisei Division actually increases the luck. Against other corp IDs runner could try making the corp spend or lose money and winning the psi game when Corp has only a few credits (Nisei being at 0 still works tho). It is true that psi game bets have economical consequences for both sides. If you decrease the economical effect from the other side, luck will have a bigger effect. This means the best option for the runner is just trying to have better Jedi powers than the corp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aHein wrote:
I would say Nisei Division actually increases the luck.

I'm not sure about that. It gives the corp an economic boost whatever strategies are employed, but the only strategy this actually nullifies is that of the runner not playing the game and instead using it to simply tax the corp by always bidding zero. All other strategies (runner trying to get in, corp trying to keep them out, corp trying to tax the runner) are still on the table but with a little economy boost for the corp.

It doesn't increase the luck element when the runner plays the psi game (i.e. trying to win it), it just stops them from getting any benefit by refusing to play the psi game!

(Assuming of course that the opponent has perfect knowledge and will be playing to nullify your intention. If you get into the level of guessing what they're guessing you're guessing they're guessing your plan is, you cannot come to any conclusions!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sasha F
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Y00shi wrote:
Yup, it's not like you are flipping a coin (three sided).

Also, I liked the part of the story where he Mushins an Overwriter and Caprices it laugh

That was certainly the most hilarious play of the weekend (that didn't involve alcohol). Talk about soul crushing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cook
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
aHein wrote:
Still not a fan of the lucky psi mechanics:

"I proceed to win something like 8 Psi games in a row"

You'll notice in this game I lost the psi games that would have definitely helped me more right before this, and he still could have taken another brain damage and kept running because he had Deus Ex. Fedor put the game in a place where it was only a matter of time before he won. Also we both agreed it was one of the most fun games of the day, which is what Netrunner is about right?

aHein wrote:
"I win multiple psi games"
"I win multiple Psi games"
"I win a few more Psi games"

In this one the runner was only going after it maybe twice a turn and on low money in several occasions. He also didn't try to kill it on a turn that the Caprice was in the server alone. 6 Psi games isn't insane for me to win if I get a read on somebody or, yes, get a bit lucky. Would it have been lucky if he top decked his Unregistered S&W right off the bat?

I agree that at times I felt like I broke Netrunner, but my deck is built to force the runner to gamble with me where runner decks cut the cards that make my strategy difficult in favor of cards that don't help against me. Exploratory romp, expose, Singularity, Keyhole, and Unregistered S&W are ones that come to mind. You can sneakdoor to snipe a Caprice off HQ. Some of these cards are considered bad because you need room for stuff to beat other corps. In my opinion that places this deck into the meta, and I made a meta call against runner decks that can't handle advanced ambushes, caprice nisei and psi games.

That said, I would like to see a runner card printed that interacts with psi games and I think it would be flavorful. Possibly a psi contact resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cook
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
popeye09 wrote:
aHein wrote:
I would say Nisei Division actually increases the luck.

I'm not sure about that. It gives the corp an economic boost whatever strategies are employed, but the only strategy this actually nullifies is that of the runner not playing the game and instead using it to simply tax the corp by always bidding zero. All other strategies (runner trying to get in, corp trying to keep them out, corp trying to tax the runner) are still on the table but with a little economy boost for the corp.

It doesn't increase the luck element when the runner plays the psi game (i.e. trying to win it), it just stops them from getting any benefit by refusing to play the psi game!

(Assuming of course that the opponent has perfect knowledge and will be playing to nullify your intention. If you get into the level of guessing what they're guessing you're guessing they're guessing your plan is, you cannot come to any conclusions!)

This is how I feel about it. Typically the runner strategy against psi is to make the corp poor so they can't play the psi game properly. Nisei Division negates this strategy and brings the actual bidding part back into the psi game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm curious about the ICE in this deck. It's pretty ICE light, with very few ETR. Obviously you're not looking to keep the runner out much, though I guess you can use Caprice here and there in a pinch. Are you mostly relying on the various traps instead? Going with "Sure...come on in...if you dare..." kind of approach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevoun wrote:
That said, I would like to see a runner card printed that interacts with psi games and I think it would be flavorful. Possibly a psi contact resource.

I'm hoping there's some kind of resource that banks money you "secretly spend", and then gives it back to you later somehow, possibly as a drip. Sick combo with Push Your Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cook
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
MinisterOfPropaganda wrote:
So I'm curious about the ICE in this deck. It's pretty ICE light, with very few ETR. Obviously you're not looking to keep the runner out much, though I guess you can use Caprice here and there in a pinch. Are you mostly relying on the various traps instead? Going with "Sure...come on in...if you dare..." kind of approach?

You pretty much have it. The first snare I see stays in my hand and I try to get the others back in R&D with Jackson. Once people realize they can die by running 3rd or 4th click they spend more time drawing and etc. I rarely guard remotes but I'll put something behind a snowflake if they don't have a barrier breaker. Caprice goes on R&D to guard indexing and HQ to guard siphon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.