Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer Kellis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a video to compare Bruges with Lewis and Clark. Essentially, because both games have cards with important info on both sides, I felt like it was worthy to do a comparison.

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/57090/lewis-clark/lewis-clark...

I cannot post the video here on the Bruges page because BGG will only let each video be posted once, and I have already submitted it on the Lewis & Clark page. Therefore, I thought I would do a quick summary of the video in this post.

Similar
Actually, not too much similar here. However, I was still interested to compare the few things that are somewhat the same.

Cards
As I already stated, each card in your hand can either be played using information on the front or by using information on the back. In Bruges, the color on the back of the card lets you take workers, get some money, build a house, etc. In Lewis & Clark, the card backs are used to "power up" the fronts of the cards.

Hand Management
Also similar: hand management. You gotta give up certain abilities of a card in order to use another card.

Engine Building
And lastly, there is a certain about of engine building or symbiosis between cards in both games. In Bruges, you might have various characters in your buildings that play well together. And similarly, in L&C, the cards you play can feed off of each other to help you win.

Different
Obviously, there is a lot that is different between the two games. Here are a few of the most notable.

End-game scoring
Lewis & Clark is a race. You get to the end first? Cool. You win. Bruges, however, has a scoring track and you tally some of the score during and some at the end. Granted, you can kind of control the end based on from which deck you draw cards, but it is definitely not a race game.

Length and complexity
I think most of my games of Bruges last about an hour, and definitely less than 60 minutes with 2 or 3 players. But a 5-player game of Lewis & Clark can take much longer, perhaps almost 3 hours depending on the circumstances and the player personalities and experience.

But this is because Bruges is a much more tactical game whereas Lews & Clark requires a lot more analysis and long-term planning. If you make a mistake in Bruges, it might not be very significant, and you can make it up in future turns. In L&C, a small mistake can easily set you make quite a bit and create a big penalty.

Conclusion
So which is better? Well, it depends on whether you are looking for a mechanically-strong, light-to-medium-weight game. Or if you want something that will require a lot of deeper thinking and planning. In my case, I really like both at different times, so I say play both!

Other comparison videos here:
Board Game Versus: https://www.youtube.com/user/boardgameversus

Board Game Versus GeekList
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmb
This has inspired me to do a comparison of Arkham Horror and Agricola because both games begin with A, and there's some green on the cover. Oh, and they have cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job, my first reaction is that they are so different they need not be compared. But as I think on it more I can see the usefulness of the comparison. Both games use multi purpose cards to drive there actions. So in this large umbrella mechanism they do do compare. This is useful for newer players into this hobby as well, Bruges is a berry popular game that is relatively light which I think contributes to it's popularity. I only the other hand would much rather play Lewis and Clark, but it is much deeper so it may over load people that think it's going to be like Bruges. Video outline comparison like this is a good way to show a step one step two approach to gaming with new players. Bruges is a good learning point to this multi card use system and leads nicely into Lewis & Clark. So though at first glance they don't appear to be comparable I think they can be.

Thanks for the video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like this kind of analysis, too. Sometimes some vague similarity in games can lead you to a game that was never on your radar before. Thanks for the thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Kellis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crazylegs wrote:
This has inspired me to do a comparison of Arkham Horror and Agricola because both games begin with A, and there's some green on the cover. Oh, and they have cards!

Don't forget: both are played on a table, so basically they are identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Agapow
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
crazylegs wrote:

Have you thought of contrasting High Frontier and Hanabi? I mean, there are cards, a degree of cooperation, fireworks are sort of like pulse-detonation nuclear thrusters ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
outlier wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

Have you thought of contrasting High Frontier and Hanabi? I mean, there are cards, a degree of cooperation, fireworks are sort of like pulse-detonation nuclear thrusters ...

If you can create a Hanabi variant, I'll give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think that this would be a useful comparison if the crossover was more fully explored. Since they share a single mechanic, it'd be interesting to delve into how the mechanic is used, maybe the differences in layout on the cards, etc.

I do think that this could have value, but only if you were to isolate that similarity and really explore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sckellis wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

So you're saying it's just like Monopoly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
nbread wrote:
sckellis wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

So you're saying it's just like Monopoly?

Is that a shirt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope no one forces me to choose between these two games anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Crow
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
outlier wrote:
crazylegs wrote:

Don't forget that in both Hanabi and High Frontier you can discard a card to gain a resource token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"A great day this has turned out to be. I'm suicidal, me mate tries to kill me, my gun gets nicked, and we're still in f**king Bruges!"

-- Lewis

or possibly Clark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyranny12 wrote:
Don't forget that in both Hanabi and High Frontier you can discard a card to gain a resource token.

And one's a cooperative game where you can't give each other helpful hints, while the other's a competitive game where players give each other helpful hints all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No shortage of comedians here. Lets compare creativity to regurgitating stupid asshole remarks.

There is a lot of work that went into this review and companion video, if you don't find it interesting or useful then say that. If you think that there is something that he can do differently to add value to the videos then give real suggestions. If you have nothing to contribute don't be a dick, just move on and disappear into the either, you aren't needed here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Kellis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Matthew! I appreciate the support!

Even still, I am ok with the jokes. I think that people that have played both games or even watched the video could understand how they can be reasonably compared. And if not, I am ok with some good ol' fashioned snide remarks and sarcasm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bearden
United States
birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it will happen and it isn't a big deal i just don't understand why, it contributes nothing.
Keep up the good work, i have subscribed to you on youtube so i can keep up with your future efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.