Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So says science! "Playing board games, cognitive decline and dementia: a French population-based cohort study"

http://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/3/8/e002998.full?rss=1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Now I have scientific evidence to show my wife whenever she tells me I don't need 10 more games. That's how it works, right? More games equals less dementia? Well, That's my interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Board games comprised card games, bingo, chess, draughts and other parlour games.
Of course.

Quote:
Results Among 3675 non-demented participants at baseline, 32.2% reported regular board game playing. Eight-hundred and forty participants developed dementia during the 20 years of follow-up. The risk of dementia was 15% lower in board game players than in non-players (HR=0.85, 95% CI 0.74 to 0.99; p=0.04) after adjustment on age, gender, education and other confounders. The statistical significance disappeared after supplementary adjustment on baseline mini-mental state examination (MMSE) and depression (HR=0.96, 95% CI 0.82 to 1.12; p=0.61). However, board game players had less decline in their MMSE score during the follow-up of the cohort (β=0.011, p=0.03) and less incident depression than non-players"
Non-demented board gamers? Oxymoron?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't really a surprise. Any kind of mental exercise is said to prevent cognitive decline: doing puzzles, reading, learning a language or a musical instrument. Physical exercise apparently helps as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So heavy Euro is better than mindless dice chucking? Glad we sorted that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meeplemeeple

There will be less depression too, because board games are fun and social. More often than not these elderly people need to go out and have a social life but they can't find a reason to. Board games give them an incentive to go out and have fun with friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
porkchop_tw wrote:

There will be less depression too, because board games are fun and social. More often than not these elderly people need to go out and have a social life but they can't find a reason to. Board games give them an incentive to go out and have fun with friends.

When I'm old and decrepit (but still in full control of my faculties), I will most likely die from a broken hip after having fallen down while trying to pick up my Twilight Imperium 3 box.

But at least I'll die happy

PS: Why am I still playing TI3 in 40-odd years, you ask? Because screw that newfangled 10th edition with holographic minis and integrated app game play, and an included robot butler for set up and tear down! When I was younger we set up our own board games, and we liked it that way!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm a bit sceptical. Let's discuss the analogous case of proving the health benefits of exercise by way of example. There's an alternate interpretation that the exercise studies had to overcome to conclusively demonstrate the health benefits of moderate exercise. This interpretation just ran the causal sequence in reverse: being healthy leads to being more physically active. The catch is that this alternate interpretation is also true and it took carefully designed studies where some participants were assigned exercise interventions while others acted as controls to disentangle the effects.

Notice that I was talking about the (well-established) benefits of moderate exercise. The problem still persists when trying to determine if intensive athletic training is better than moderate exercise. It's very difficult to show that the apparent association with good health isn't due to athletes simply being more physically robust than other people.

porkchop_tw wrote:
More often than not these elderly people need to go out and have a social life but they can't find a reason to.

More often than not, those elderly people suffer from multiple chronic diseases that can be socially crippling like incontinence. The elderly really need fewer patronizing admonishments and lifestyle adjustments overshadowing the drive for genuine progress in medical research against the conditions that are crippling them and eroding their dignity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
scott3387 wrote:
So heavy Euro is better than mindless dice chucking? Glad we sorted that

Yeah, well... We'll have more supple wrists. In time you will lose the strength to move your tiny wooden cubes, so watch out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.