Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-attack-wing-wave-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Albright
msg tools
Looks really fun

Lots of disable discard upgrade stuff coming, which with the new point restrictions is making for an interesting new meta

also I'm super excited they are indy (I know we saw that before on the packaging) because the indy faction is getting some cool stuff with the raiders and this and the gorn

good times

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bueckert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish they had shown all the cards.

What's Decisive Orders going to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Independent Borg-Like crew gankers, expected. Too weak though, no room for it in competitive play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Chest
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dereth has potential utility as a 1 point independent crew. His ability can disable any upgrade on the opposing ship if he's triggered. Curious if the elite talent will be useful. Hypothermic charges looked interesting until I saw that they can only be equipped to a vidiian ship.

Not surprised this was previewed first given what I see here. How many weeks will we have to wait for the next two previews??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dereth requires timing clarifications from the "Rules Team" about when his triggering takes place against a ship that has Weyoun and Li Nalis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest trouble with this review is that you can't tell how good it will actually be until you see the additional rules for the grapple token.

Given that 3 of the crew and the captain's abilities interact with a grappled ship their worth may not be fully apparent here.

The ships action is a bit pricy for 1 damage costing an action and an APT.

The theme here seems to be to get into range 1 hit them with a grapple attack and then gank on subsequent turns.

Having all the crew options be gankers though is a little limiting if you want to play all vidiian. Looks like i'll be re-skinning some Independent crew for even more races now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alyksandyr wrote:
Dereth requires timing clarifications from the "Rules Team" about when his triggering takes place against a ship that has Weyoun and Li Nalis.

Even more so with Crosis.

Crosis disables Dereth then steals him.

Is Dereth allowed to react after being disabled and if so when? Before or after Crosis steals him? If before can he disable crosis to prevent being stolen?

Oh the arguments I forsee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bradley
msg tools
SteRT wrote:
re-skinning

I see what you did there.

I'm curious to see what the arcs and dial look like on this. Might make a decent mid-range Indy ship to complement a Gorn or Soong. Pretty interested in someone who can discard crew through shields for 1 point. Hudson/Hugh are gonna love that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
The biggest trouble with this review is that you can't tell how good it will actually be until you see the additional rules for the grapple token.

Until we see it, i'm looking at the Borg Tractor Beam as an analog for it.

The tractor beam is more expensive, and since these are not Romulans, we can safely assume that it will not have the same effect at a greater cost . Seriously though, looking at the tractor beam is probably a safe place to start.

The key drawback however is that the Grapple is a ATTACK, which means it can be cancelled by Varel/CS/etc. Any possible use the combination would have gained, it loses by being affected by attack cancellation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
Yeah not really impressed by the Grapple device. Range 1 only 3 die and you need hull damage.....Kinda like Dom suicide run. Looked powerful, way to hard to pull off and make it worth wild. I think I can pass on the Vidian for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Vulcan
msg tools
mbmb
A lot of crew ganking, however still rendered useless by either the target not having crew (often the case) or the target having both Koss + Borg Dispersion Field.
It will make for some ok scenarios and perhaps an interesting second / third ship depending on the meta in your area.
Overall, about as expected IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braddock West
United States
Rockrimmon
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
SteRT wrote:
Alyksandyr wrote:

Even more so with Crosis.

Crosis disables Dereth then steals him.

Is Dereth allowed to react after being disabled and if so when? Before or after Crosis steals him? If before can he disable crosis to prevent being stolen?

Oh the arguments I forsee.

to my knowledge there are no rules on interrupting your opponent so im pretty sure dereth disabling crosis would be impossible, as crosis discards and then triggers dereth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braddock West
United States
Rockrimmon
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
delta_angelfire wrote:
Independent Borg-Like crew gankers, expected. Too weak though, no room for it in competitive play.

don't be so hasty, the grappler token may have added affects on an additional rules card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GARY SEVEN
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Ugh, the crew pictures are so ugly (creepy)! I would not mind discarding some of them and sticking them under the ship card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...Vidiian Boarding Party might--and is this a VERY tentative might--get around DF/Koss due to its odd wording. Needs rules team clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dereth is worded like a hot mess I think:
"If one of your Crew Upgrades (including this one) is affected by an enemy ship, you may disable 1 Upgrade of your choice on that enemy ship."

So:
What constitutes a "ship" to trigger the effect? The ship itself or does an Upgrades on that ship count as well?

Is "One of your Crew Upgrades" limited to Crew Upgrades on the ship Dereth is on? Or Crew Upgrades on any ship in your fleet?

What constitutes being "affected"? If a ship is destroyed that had a Crew Upgrade does discarding the destroyed Crew Upgrade count as "affected"?

The card is pretty undefined if you ask me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can/Does Dereth trigger if multiple upgrades are targeted by the same action (Crosis, Boarding Party, Thalaron Weapon, etc)

It's not an action, so that implies it might work.
It does not say "This Turn", so that also implies it might work.

I just love it when they give us crystal clear upgrades that lead to no confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dereth all the way. Cause let's just slide that crosis target to this follower or khan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alyksandyr wrote:
Can/Does Dereth trigger if multiple upgrades are targeted by the same action (Crosis, Boarding Party, Thalaron Weapon, etc)

Does Upgrades on a ship count as a "ship" to trigger the effect?
I don't have all my cards in front of me but this is the first reference that I remember being "ship" rather than things like "If this Upgrade is Disabled/Discarded".

If it has to be the "ship" itself, not a Captain, not an Upgrade...What ships affect Crew Upgrades direct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I'm aware you differentiate between the source of the action and the action itself.

So the source of the action could be the action bar of the ship, one of it's upgrades abilities, it's own ability, a fleet captain/admiral ability, etc. However no matter what the source it is always the ship that takes the action.

With regard to your second question in your original post the FAQ ruling regarding the words "you" and "your" will apply; so only the upgrades on the same ship as Dereth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I never caught that clarification before on "you" and "your".

What are all the affects that could cause triggering? Disable, Discard, Assimilate, Steal. Are there others that I'm not thinking of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

As per your original post though I don't think that the destruction of the ship would trigger it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't think it would either.
This is the first card that I read that reads so vague that it just stumped me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grappler needs to be energy dissipator level of strong to justify this pack being any good at all. I highly doubt we'll see anything of that power level here.

Overall I'll buy 1 for the model, but the expansion will probably collect dust 99% of the time. Gankers needed range 2, ship action sucks, captain is situational to the ship. Dereth could see a tag along as a 1 point indy upgrade as he's passive over Follower of Khan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.