Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not been able to find a second source reporting on this story but while Arutz 7 has a noted bias in some ways, they don't typically make things up. They're reporting that a royal decree in Jordan has forbidden the preaching of what Jordan's gov't sees as extremist views.

The linked article wrote:
Although Jordanian security offices have always carefully watched radicals for years, they never stopped allowing even prominent al-Qaeda-affiliated clerics from preaching - as long as they watched what they said.

Now, with the sudden rise of Islamic State, Jordan's religious authorities are clamping down.

They have authorities have started a campaign coaxing and even pressuring Muslim clerics to preach messages of moderate or peaceful Islam.

Jordan's imams, of which there are more than 5,000, traditionally give sermons after Friday prayers. And Dawood is touring the kingdom unveiling the set of new laws in a series of meetings for any religious leader who wishes to address Friday worshippers.

Jordan is specifically demanding that preachers refrain from any speech against King Abdullah II and the royal family, slander against leaders of neighboring Arab states, incitement against the United States and Europe, and support for jihad and extremist thought.

Now I'm strongly in favor of freedom of religion even for extreme positions, but if the story if correct, it seems to me that what is being forbidden is simply incitement to violence. That I don't have a problem with.

EDIT:
This appears to be confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree but incitement to violence has always been a grey area for free speech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I've not been able to find a second source reporting on this story but while Arutz 7 has a noted bias in some ways, they don't typically make things up. They're reporting that a royal decree in Jordan has forbidden the preaching of what Jordan's gov't sees as extremist views.

The linked article wrote:
Although Jordanian security offices have always carefully watched radicals for years, they never stopped allowing even prominent al-Qaeda-affiliated clerics from preaching - as long as they watched what they said.

Now, with the sudden rise of Islamic State, Jordan's religious authorities are clamping down.

They have authorities have started a campaign coaxing and even pressuring Muslim clerics to preach messages of moderate or peaceful Islam.

Jordan's imams, of which there are more than 5,000, traditionally give sermons after Friday prayers. And Dawood is touring the kingdom unveiling the set of new laws in a series of meetings for any religious leader who wishes to address Friday worshippers.

Jordan is specifically demanding that preachers refrain from any speech against King Abdullah II and the royal family, slander against leaders of neighboring Arab states, incitement against the United States and Europe, and support for jihad and extremist thought.

Now I'm strongly in favor of freedom of religion even for extreme positions, but if the story if correct, it seems to me that what is being forbidden is simply incitement to violence. That I don't have a problem with.

EDIT:
This appears to be confirmation.
Much as I agree with your sentiment, this goes beyond stopping incitement to violence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

This kills it for me. A ban of incitement to violence might be fine under the circumstances, but this goes too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I like the intent, we now get into the minutia of "extremist thought." What qualifies? What one person sees as extremist thought is just strict adherence to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
Quote:

This kills it for me. A ban of incitement to violence might be fine under the circumstances, but this goes too far.

This is why I personally oppose the ban although I can sort of see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this doesn't work for me. I can see acting against specific threats or incitement to violence, yes. But this isn't just that - it rolls a bunch of political issues in there as well.

I certainly see why the government is taking the step, but it's the wrong step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if they start preaching that they should violently wipe out radical Islam.... holy conundrums !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
One has to admit that this is something that people have been railing against moderate muslims for for years. That the peaceful and moderate majority doesn't speak out against their violent and extremist minority enough or effectively. This might be going too far, but it is a step towards distancing Islam from extremism. It could have been done a little less like a "protect the monarchy from criticism" though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
One has to admit that this is something that people have been railing against moderate muslims for for years. That the peaceful and moderate majority doesn't speak out against their violent and extremist minority enough or effectively. This might be going too far, but it is a step towards distancing Islam from extremism. It could have been done a little less like a "protect the monarchy from criticism" though.
Assuming that is it's purpose, and it's not just a measure aimed at curbing free speech dressed up as an "anti-jihadist" measure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
That the peaceful and moderate majority doesn't speak out against their violent and extremist minority enough or effectively.

I'm not sure that this qualifies as what you've described. It's one thing for an imam or prominent Muslim to speak of their own accord. It's another thing for a government to step in and interfere with speech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This strikes me as both repressive and counter-productive. I'm sure radical Islam has other methods of spreading its message and now it has the added cachet of being oppressed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.