King's Pouch» Forums » Rules

Subject: Refreshing the pouch effect (Inn) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
We found this effect to be extremely powerful (overpowered?)

In our last game, my opponent used the inn each turn, so he never took any corrupted citizen for the rest of the game because his pouch was never empty.

(he managed to draw a yellow cube each turn to activate it)

Did we miss something ?

And why does the rule mention a number for this effect ? Is it because of a future expansion building ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korea Boardgames
South Korea
Paju
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
passager57 wrote:
We found this effect to be extremely powerful (overpowered?)

In our last game, my opponent used the inn each turn, so he never took any corrupted citizen for the rest of the game because his pouch was never empty.

(he managed to draw a yellow cube each turn to activate it)

Did we miss something ?

And why does the rule mention a number for this effect ? Is it because of a future expansion building ?

1. Yes, the Inn is very powerful. It is a very good way to achieve "control" over your draws and it is easier to use than some of the other buildings, because you dont really need any other building for it to work. However, in the right circumstances, other choices (in the first 3 rounds) are somehow quite powerful as well (see spoiler for some of my personal thoughts on that).

We don´t claim perfect balance (there are too many variables to "test" this reliably). But we would encourage any group to play a few more games and try a few more things and also always play games to the end (Often the last round will turn the game, as this is where the leading player will be punished most for being the first in the turn order!)...

Personal thoughts on Era 1 - Buildings:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
- City Watch removes a corrupt and allows you to draw 1 more citizen. So it gives you control and few corrupts as well. And getting army early is also quite powerful: It will allow you to take the palace first, which will give you more control (1 more citizen drawn) and sometimes allow you to shut out other players completely. Additionally, getting army instead of gold means that you will generate VP during the rounds, while someone who got 1 gold will instead secure a character. This means his VP gain will come after round 3, so if in round 1 you got City Watch while they got Inn, you will most likely have first choice of buildings for rounds 2 and 3.

- Buildings that give 2 army/gold are more powerful in the long run if you achieve control in another way (maximum potential Army/Gold per turn is often what limits your choices in late game).

- Thieves Guild (1 gold/1 army) is a more flexible choice (but in my personal opinion maybe the weakest/hardest to use correctly)

- Gambling Den/Sanctum can be a very powerful combination, giving you lots of gold and extra vp and converting your corrupts to very useful commoners.

- Monastery is an incredibly powerful building! Ff you manage to combine it with a military lead (since it will double your potential point gain each End-of-Era scoring, make it harder for opponents to score mil. points against you as well as giving you 3VP each time you use it.

- Workshop (free building): Again a building that i personally have trouble using correctly. But it is quite strong in late game (2 gold in Era2, 3 gold in Era3) and it can be necessary for a "build" that is otherwise low on gold generation.

2. Yes, the reference you mention is due to possible expansions. In retrospect it was a mistake to leave those references in the manual because it is quite confusing to many people .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand this at all. According to the example, it would not matter if there was a piece in the bag, you'd still have to take a corrupt official after drawing that piece unless that piece was the fifth one you drew.

I'm referring to example 1 under Finished Construction. Please explain as this caused great confusion in our first game last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.