Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dragon Run» Forums » Rules

Subject: how to use the Mentalist ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MARIE denis
France
FRESNES - FRANCE
flag msg tools
Hi

When I use the power of the Mentalist:
- I draw a card "Treasure" to the first player and I discard it, according to the rules. Then if I draw again a card "Treasure" at the 2nd player, do I keep this card "Treasure" or do I discard it and draw a card at the 3rd player and etc... ?

- if I draw a card "Potion", then I had to stop my TURN. So I stop to draw cards at the others players, but "stop my turn" does it mean also that I cannot explore new rooms of the castle ?

Thanks for your help
Denis
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandan Parsons
United States
Carmel
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
We will make this more clear in the next printing of the game. The text we have now says:

"The [Mentalist] can try to guess what cards his opponents have in their hands. Going around the table, he randomly picks (and reveals) one card in each player's hand. If that card is NOT a potion or talisman, then it is discarded and he moves on to the next player's hand. If the card he reveals IS a potion or talisman, then it is returned to that player's hand and the [Mentalist's] power is cut short. (He does not continue to reveal cards)."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You shouldn't say "going around the table". My understanding of the French is that you can choose target players in a random order but you can only choose each player once. Going around the table can be interpreted to mean that you start with the player to your left and proceed clockwise around the table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandan Parsons
United States
Carmel
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
You shouldn't say "going around the table". My understanding of the French is that you can choose target players in a random order but you can only choose each player once. Going around the table can be interpreted to mean that you start with the player to your left and proceed clockwise around the table.


Thank you for your feedback, but these are the final, official, and correct rules for the US printing of the game. I spoke with the original dev team in France at length, and this language is accurate.

And yes, according to my understanding of the game, the mentalist (now renamed the "psychic") should start with the player on their left (or right) and proceed around the table clockwise (or counterclockwise) discarding treasures until they reveal a potion or talisman.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandan Parsons
United States
Carmel
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Returning to this thread, I realize that I didn't actually answer your questions.

otocyon wrote:
When I use the power of the Mentalist:
- I draw a card "Treasure" to the first player and I discard it, according to the rules. Then if I draw again a card "Treasure" at the 2nd player, do I keep this card "Treasure" or do I discard it and draw a card at the 3rd player and etc... ?


The treasure is discarded.

otocyon wrote:
- if I draw a card "Potion", then I had to stop my TURN. So I stop to draw cards at the others players, but "stop my turn" does it mean also that I cannot explore new rooms of the castle ?


Powers are used in addition to your mandatory action. (they do not prevent you from taking your turn as normal).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandaniel wrote:
Thank you for your feedback, but these are the final, official, and correct rules for the US printing of the game. I spoke with the original dev team in France at length, and this language is accurate.

And yes, according to my understanding of the game, the mentalist (now renamed the "psychic") should start with the player on their left (or right) and proceed around the table clockwise (or counterclockwise) discarding treasures until they reveal a potion or talisman.


Oh OK, fair enough. We played last night and the player to the left of the mentalist thought it was a bit unfair that he had to take her treasure all the time. My understanding of the French on the card was as I said above so we started playing that way and his power felt less vindictive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can use the mentalist power clockwise or anticlockwise. That make more sense. Also, cutting the mentalist power doesn't mean your turn is over, and you still do the mandatory action (charge/advance quietly/baby cry)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.