Hide
4 Posts

Conan» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Playtest in Grenoble 4th November rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
crystalboy crystalboy
msg tools
Here is a feedback of playtest in Grenoble (please forgive my English, I haven’t practiced for years). I discovered the game with Fred Henry and, with his help, made my own prototype to organize playtest.

1st game: Pict village with Conan Shevatas and Hadratus

After a long way, Hadratus choose to rest at the south entrance of the village (between the stone and the double huts)

In the mean time, Conan and Shevatas first encountered an annoying beastman (who’s able to glue you if you don’t kill him fast). After a kind but time consuming "chat" with beastmen, Conan met the chief of the village. Hearing some noise, this one had come outside to "welcome" the newcomers. Conan loves making new friends, so he cut his head!

On the other side of the village, Hadratus was burning villagers and wandering around when Shevetas joined him. Quickly, the scene went from fight to butchery. Unfortunately, the princess was still hard to find. The arrival of beastmen reinforcement made new meat balls for heroes. It’s a hard time for Conan, who managed to handle with beastmen and Thak with difficulties. Nevertheless, he showed a real pleasure in crushing bones and slashing through flesh.

At last, Hadratus found the princess, quietly sleeping at the back of the double hut (actually, very close to where he entered the village). Yet, all the village surrounded the hut (Hadratus alone with a sleeping princess sound interesting....!!). Shevatas was in too (he came with the head of the chief: he also deserves seeing what happen in the hut). Conan doesn’t care; he would rather a big brawl on the east edge of the village.

The conclusion was not the one expected by the heroes. The rest of the village came back from hunting. Conan only managed to finish Thak.
The story doesn’t say if only the princess was honored...

Very good feeling looking at this game. Unfortunately for him, the Overlord nearly made a Guinness record of bad dice rolls. He saved the game with a good strategy, especially with the respawn.
The heroes did a good job slaying everything around, but they couldn’t find the princess until late in the game. Too late to escape before the end of the 8th turn.

2nd game: pict village with Conan, Valéria and Shevatas (I played)

Shevatas and Valeria made their entrance from the east side of the village (the cliff side). Shevatas started exploring the straw and avoiding the dogs, he came back with a new toy. What a magic urn may do? He wanted to know and thrown it on Valeria. She was being chatted up by a beastman. He was dead before soon and she endured some bruises. Valeria entered the chief hut and who knows what happened, she stayed in for a loooooong time.

Conan chooses to come alone and started his path of destruction by the double hut. He broke a side wall and broke some necks. He was only interrupted by Shevatas’ call. So he joined him in the hut next to the stone wall, making a back entrance. The hut was crowded: Thak, some picts and some dogs. Hidden behind a chest he also found the princess asleep.

Shevatas, pleased to see his bro, decided to let him play a little bit and left the hut. He then made a little bit of exploration. When he came back into the hut, the decoration had somehow changed... Flesh and bones as wall paint is particular taste... Shevatas focused on Thak so that Conan can escape the hut (throw another new exit). Outside, Conan discovered 2 beastmen (in front of the normal entrance) and decided to meet them.

Shevatas grabed the princess and also escaped. Going outside the village, he encountered Valeria with a brand new jewelry: the head of the chief. He had soon came back to take care of this precious.
At last, everyone met at the cliff to go back home.

I personally really enjoy this game. There were very few survivors after the visit of the team. The Skelos book was also very empty: unfortunate Ovelord. Finding the princess very early in the game was very helpful. We couldn’t say the same thing for Valeria. So many turns to kill the chief was very funny.
Speaking about Valeria, she really missed something. She’s efficient, but nothing particular with her abilities. She’s ambidextrous and thus can deliver great amount of damage or deal with a lot of damages. This is something every character can do with energy, but it’s very expensive.
In this adventure, every character can do something typical: Conan can crush walls and free spaces for the other with slasher, Shevatas can quickly and easily explore the areas and Hadratus is a pain in the ass for the Overlord with teleportation and the lighting storm that prevent him from teaming a lot of enemies on the same area. Valeria needs something special.
Hope you found a little bit of the pleasure I had playing and seeing these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Dib
msg tools
Thanks for the review - nicely told.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From watching the gameplay video, it seems that Valeria's special "thing" is being able to roll a lot of dice without using a lot of stamina. She was rolling 4 orange and 1 yellow at a cost of 2 stamina, and she could make such attacks three times per turn if she wished.

Compared to Shevatas who rolled 3 dice for 2 stamina. Seems like she is designed to be the most stamina-efficient damage dealer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
crystalboy crystalboy
msg tools
pkreynolds wrote:
From watching the gameplay video, it seems that Valeria's special "thing" is being able to roll a lot of dice without using a lot of stamina. She was rolling 4 orange and 1 yellow at a cost of 2 stamina, and she could make such attacks three times per turn if she wished.

Compared to Shevatas who rolled 3 dice for 2 stamina. Seems like she is designed to be the most stamina-efficient damage dealer.

A made my own proto with the help of Monolith team and now I understand the particularity of Valeria.
The only thing I would say is I couldn't miss a deluxe box cause Valeria is not in the Babarian pledge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.