5 Posts

Boyan Radakovich» Forums » General Creator Forum

Subject: Has Bo fulfilled his role on Pirate Den Kickstarter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Cox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bo ran a Kickstarter project to fund a game called Pirate Den in April 2014 that raised almost $40k from 697 backers. This was initially due to deliver in October 2014. So far it hasn't delivered and it's mid-November, but this is a Kickstarter project and such delays are normal,to be expected and usually acceptable if the backers are informed of progress and of any issues at various stages in a project.

At this point in time (11/11) there has not been a single update or comment from Bo on this project since the date the project was funded.
Do you think this is the right way to run a kickstarter project, and do you think this reflects badly on other work he's associated with such as the Geek&Sundry TableTop series presented by Wil Wheaton? He's clearly been far too busy producing that to bother with his Kickstarter updates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Knopf
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a backer of both this game and the Indiegogo campaign for season three it's so disappointing. Both projects rewards are running very late but there have been many updates from the TableTop campaign that I've not started to worry yet. The seven months of silence from Bo is really starting to tick me off. He was actually one of the guests/players on the backer only episode of TableTop that was just released and I couldn't even enjoy it because I couldn't stand to look at him. I would say his association with the show is definitily making me less excited for it since it's a constant reminder of Pirate Den.

Personally, I'm also honestly disappointed in Geek & Sundry and Wil Wheaton for continuing to associate with someone who doesn't actually care about gamers. He's a liar and a crook and I hope he's held accountable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Bollmann
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delays on a Kickstarter project are not the problem. Total, utter lack of communication is.

I've backed a handful of projects so far, some with estimated deadlines earlier than that of Pirate Den, which are still not delivered. But every single one of them is posting regular updates, at the very least once per month, to inform people how things are going and that they still care and do their best to deliver as soon as they can manage. Every one of them except Pirate Den, that is.

I'm not mad about delays, I might even understand other things taking priority, but I would at least like to know what is happening. That's what I gave my money for, after all! In my opinion, this handling of the Pirate Den Kickstarter (or rather the lack thereof) is as unprofessional as it gets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse E

Michigan
msg tools
I too am a backer on this Kickstarter project, and the lack of communication is unlike anything I've ever seen. Totally unprofessional in every manner. At this point all I want is my money back because I don't see this game arriving any time soon, and even if it does, this experience has led me to not want anything from this game designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wirick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[geekurl=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesmith/pirate-den/posts/1053089]Kickstarter Update - 11/15/14[/geekurl]

Comment posted on KS and email sent to info@thegamesmith.com:

Quote:
I’m extremely confused. During the campaign you said there was little to no risk, you had all your bases covered, all that needed to be done was funding for the printers. Now you’re saying that you were going to lose money, and you’re waiting on a publishing deal. You say you’ve been communicating via twitter and facebook. Your facebook is locked. You post more on your twitter then just Pirate Den updates. How is it reasonable to expect people to dig through your tweets? Especially when not a single picture you showed in your new KS update is after July 10th.

Your explanation and math on why you chose those platforms is idiotic. You may reach a wider audience with twitter, but after the campaign was over, THOSE WHO DIDN’T BACK DON’T CARE. You cannot use KS readers as a percentage of your twitter population. Do you understand one is not completely inclusive of the other and therefore isn’t relevant? Kickstarter reaches 100% of your backers AND sends an email to alert there was an update.

I call utter and complete bullshit. You were waiting for a publishing deal the entire time. That was your goal. You purposefully mislead your backers because you thought you had a sure thing, but that fell through.

Your backers don’t care bout a deal that will spread Pirate Den to the masses. We don’t care that it will reach a broader and shiner audience. Why? Because we backed this game for the version you promised. The version you said was nearly complete. This is what we care about.

Now in less then 2 lines of explanation, you’ve removed a major component of the game. You’ve nixed Promotional Player Mats. For me, this was a major upgrade point… Now, after 7months of silence, you’re changing the backer reward. And why? Because you made a deal with a publisher.. who is going to pay you to produce the game.

Your words: “PRODUCTION RISKS. Pirate Den has finished the game design, development, art, and print buying portions with print ready files mostly good to go as soon as the Kickstarter funding comes through.

LOGISTICS RISKS. Sometimes shipping physical games can be a challenge. Fortunately, I have a very professional fulfillment and logistics solution that ships my packages and I keep tracking numbers for all the orders.

When will Pirate Den be delivered?

Assuming a normal production schedule, 135 days after the finished print-ready files are delivered to my printer in China plus the travel distance from my fulfillment center to your delivery address. Since many of the files are already formatted for printing, I'll do my best to send files the day Kickstarter transfers the funds from the campaign into my business banking account.”

Where, exactly, is the $39k from the Kickstarter going Bo. If you’re not printing and producing the game, how was that money spent? Why has it taken 7 months to connect with your artist? You have really been so busy since April that you couldn’t send an email? Weren’t the files ready to go for the printer? That was what you stated in your campaign.

Or is this all because your publishing deal just came through?

I’m done. I’ll never back another project from you. This is the email associated with Kickstater. I expect a refund immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.