Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The unshaded event instructs "US places 3 Irregulars outside the South...". Can these Irregulars be taken from anywhere on the map or must they come from the "US-Led Irregulars" box? The second bullet under 1.4.1 seems to indicate I can. The first bullet seems to indicate I can't.
For now, since the card and play book description are non-specific, I'll assume I can unless I hear otherwise.
Can someone confirm this or clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer depends on who you are. The US player is allowed to pick up pieces on the board to place. Whereas, if someone else is playing the card, they are restricted to what is in the available box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be playing the unshaded event as the ARVN player. The card specifies US Irregulars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Derek,

The ARVN can't remove US Irregulars from map for unshaded LRRP. See last bullet of 1.4.1: Important: Players while executing an Operation, Special Activity, or Event to place their own forces may take them from elsewhere on the map (including a Tunneled Base, losing the
Tunnel marker, 1.4.4) if and only if the desired force type is not
Available. EXCEPTION: The US player may do so only with US-led Irregulars and any ARVN forces, not with US Troops nor with US Bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, Eric The underlining helped... So...ARVN player could still choose the unshaded event, but, the US player would be the one actually selecting the Irregular pieces and executing the event, yes? (5.1 - Unless otherwise specified, the executing Faction makes all selections involved with implementing the text, such as which pieces are affected... If another Faction is specified...to take an action, that Faction decides the details of the action.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Derek:

That's correct: the US player would choose where the Irregulars would go and where to carry out the Air Strikes. Note that this could also represent a "negotiation" situation (see 1.5.2) where the ARVN player could "influence" how LRRP would be carried out by the US player. One of the interesting aspects of 4-player FITL (as well as other COIN) games is how much you can "wheel and deal," especially with your nominal ally. The Insurgent players (NVA and VC) may sometimes arrange deals for exchanging Resources (also permitted by 1.5.2 where the NVA and VC aren't the same player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome Thanks again for helping me clear that up. I really love all the subtle interactions in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Derek,

You're most welcome. There are definitely many, many subtle interactions to grasp in FITL, the "wheeling and dealing" per 1.5.2 being one of those. Even though I was a playtester for FITL, I'm still learning what those subtle interactions are. That's what make this a great, fun, and challenging game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.