Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking through the list of Machi Koro: Harbour establishment cards and came upon the Warehouse and the Tuna Fishing Boat.

Quoting from the translation thread:
zenxacred wrote:
[12-13 green] Warehouse (factory)(cost 2) - Receive 2 coins from the bank for every (cup) card you have, if it's your turn.

[12-14 blue] Tuna Fishing Boat (boat)(cost 5) - If you have a completed Seaport, any player who rolls these numbers must roll both dice again. You receive coins equal to the result.

That got me thinking. Why is there a need for the "14" for the Tuna Fishing Boat? Isn't "12-13" sufficient?

Suppose I have a Tuna Fishing Boat and the Harbour.

If I roll 10, I will opt to add 2 to the roll to get 12, thereby activating the Tuna Fishing Boat.

If I roll 11, I will also opt to add 2 to the roll to get 13, for the same reason.

If I roll 12, I can already activate the Tuna Fishing Boat directly.

In that sense, no player will ever have to reach 14. The design of the Warehouse seems to have taken the above into account, but not the Tuna Fishing Boat. Am I missing some interaction between other establishment cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an idea.

Machi Koro: Millionaire's Row includes a purple card (Park) that activates on 11-13 with this power: "On your turn, gather everyone's coins and redistribute them evenly among all players."

If you had lots of money, you might choose to make a 12 into a 14 and avoid losing money to the others. And still get Tuna Boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, though that assumes the inclusion of Machi Koro Sharp, which is an expansion coming after the Harbour expansion.

If the designer had the Park in mind when designing the Tuna Fishing Boat, then why release them as two separate expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:
Good point, though that assumes the inclusion of Machi Koro Sharp, which is an expansion coming after the Harbour expansion.

If the designer had the Park in mind when designing the Tuna Fishing Boat, then why release them as two separate expansions?

I think that all three are already available in Japan.

It seems likely that the designer was already thinking of Sharp when he was designing Plus (Harbor).

I feel like I've seen other cases in which a game had a feature that existed principally to account for future expansions.

I would have been happy if they had sold all three games in box and I already had them all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:

Because selling two separate expansions makes more money than selling one bigger expansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might not be the expansion they had in mind. There would be times when I played when my opponent had a building with a 12 (the other fishing boat, I think?) and I didn't. I had the fishing boat though, so I would change the roll from a 12 to 14 so that he didn't get the income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphiel wrote:
It might not be the expansion they had in mind. There would be times when I played when my opponent had a building with a 12 (the other fishing boat, I think?) and I didn't. I had the fishing boat though, so I would change the roll from a 12 to 14 so that he didn't get the income.

The only cards that are activated on 12 are:

i) Fruits & Vegetables Market [11-12, green, $2] from base game

ii) Warehouse [12-13, green, $2] from Harbour expansion

iii) Tuna Fishing Boat [12-14, blue, $5] from Harbour expansion

iv) Park [11-13, purple, $3] from Sharp expansion

v) Private Member's BAR [12-14, red, $4] from Sharp expansion

As pointed out above, the Park seems to be the only reason for adding 2 to a throw of 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frances McGregor
Canada
The Pas
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I was totally remembering wrong. It must have been a 10 with the orchard or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Tuna Boat is a blue card.

Hypothetically let's say it activated with a roll of 12-13.

You have a number of fishing boats.

Your opponent rolls a 12. Adds 2 to the roll making it a 14 and now your tuna boats don't activate.

It prevents a situation where people roll a high number (12) and choses to add two to the die roll resulting in no buildings activating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:
The Tuna Boat is a blue card.

Hypothetically let's say it activated with a roll of 12-13.

You have a number of fishing boats.

Your opponent rolls a 12. Adds 2 to the roll making it a 14 and now your tuna boats don't activate.

It prevents a situation where people roll a high number (12) and choses to add two to the die roll resulting in no buildings activating.

Ah, that makes sense. So the designer's aim was for the Tuna Fishing Boat to be activated on a throw of 10-12 with constructed Harbour for self and 12 only for other players.

Thanks for explaining!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:
The designer's aim was for the Tuna Fishing Boat to be activated on a throw of 10-12 with constructed Harbour for self and 12 only for other players.

Not quite.

The key point is that your Tuna Boat will pay when an opponent rolls as 12 - regardless of whether your opponent has constructed a Harbor.

If such an opponent decides to use Harbor to change as 12 to 14, your Tuna Boat still pays. (This wouldn't be the case if Tuna Boat were labeled 12-13.)

But your Tuna Boat will also pay when your opponent rolls 10 or 11 if he chooses to add 2 to the roll (which he might do for his own reasons).

PS - I have to admit that, if there had been no card that said 14 on it, I probably wouldn't have thought about the possibility of using Harbor to turn 12 into 14!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pratt
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Just admit it already, Small World is not a fantasy wargame...it's a Mancala variant!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:

I'm noy saying it was the case with this one, because I don't have that sort of information, but usually these type of games are designed all at once, or at least in big blocks of cards, then the publisher breaks it up into base sets and expansions, depending on what is most economical printing wise. (Cards are always printed in specific counts, based on the size of the uncut card sheets.) Obviously they factor in what will make them the most money as well, along with usually making the first release easier to learn and leaving the more complex stuff for expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.