Subject: Inventor powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping that the creators see this, since they said that this is subject to change, I just wanted to offer my two cents on the inventor powers.

Since there are 12 inventors, each of which produces an energy cube, and three energy types, there should be four inventors of each type.

going from what we've seen from uploaded images, the distribution looks something like this:

Electricity: Edison, Tesla, Lovelace, Bell.

Heat: Einstein, Curie, Wright Brothers.

Steam: Marconi, Carver (Makes sense in that plants need water), Meitner.

As for Knight and McCoy, we do not know yet, but presumably, one will get heat, the other steam. Personally, I'd reccomend McCoy to receive heat and Knight steam, only because McCoy is noted for inventions relating to locomotives, and many of the heat-powered devices seem to resemble train parts, and I cannot think of any compelling reason why Knight would produce one over the other.

I would like to make the case that Meitner and the Wright Brothers should be switched.

Here's why.

Judging from what I've seen on the images and from watching the gameplay videos, most of the 'flying machine' type parts such as the propellor, hoverjets, and wings, are powered by steam. It seems logical to me that the Wright brothers should naturally gravitate to a flying design, and should therefore generate steam.

Also going by what I've gathered, heat seems to double as radioactive/atomic power. Curie and Einstein generate it, and the machinery that uses it seems fairly heavy-duty. As one of the Co-discoverers of nuclear fission, Meitner seems a natural choice for the pilot of a heat-powered machine.

I would also like to suggest switching Marconi and Lovelace, because the difference engine was steam-powered and the radio was electrical.

Granted that I have a very limited knowledge of the ins-and-outs of the game, I would like to humbly offer my proposed distribution of inventor powers.

Electricity: Edison, Tesla, Marconi, Bell.
Heat: Einstein, Curie, McCoy, Meitner.
Steam: Wright Brothers, Carver, Lovelace, Knight.

I'm extremely psyched about this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a very savvy analysis. I realize full well some inventors would be a coin toss regarding energy type if you look at the breadth of their contributions, but you seems to be tuning them more appropriately for their major ones. (I'll take your word for the details since I have only a passing knowledge of some of the inventors listed and no knowledge of others.) I hope the designers take your advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Dude!

I really could have gone either way with McCoy/Knight. The rest of them seem pretty common-sense to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orin Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ed!
I'm pleased to say that there's a decent amount of overlap between your suggestions and what I have so far, and the points you bring up are useful to my thinking.

As you know, the powers we've revealed are basically just placeholders at this point. We want the final versions of each power to feel unique, have interesting strategic implications, and have some thematic grounding in history.

Each inventor will start with a propulsion card, and there are three (as yet unrevealed) basic ones corresponding to the three resource types. However a few of the inventors will get a special starting propulsion card (the Wright Brothers are very likely getting the “Flyer IV,” for example), so that's another knob that I can work with. It's also worth noting that not all inventors need to be tied to a single resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to have been of help!

I'm also pleased to hear that the inventors are going to have something unique going for each of them beyond just a resource type and a unique part. I just hope they're all balanced- not an easy feat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may, I'd like to add my 2 cents in as well.
I think a FANTASTIC stretch goal beyond the double sided track would be double sided inventor cards with one side having symmetric (other than die color) powers and the other side having the awesome asymmetric powers. Eclipse and Nations do this with their racial/national abilities. I think this lets you have a way to introduce the game without a lot of the "well, I get to do this because I picked Tesla, but you have to do it this way because you picked that gal" in addition to explaining the basic game mechanics, while giving you the freedom to have really cool and possibly complex special inventor powers.

The pain would come in the balancing and artwork, but mostly balancing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orin Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a method we are considering which has advantages, but the downside is that it wouldn't really mesh with having some inventors start with unique propulsion cards since those will have to be balanced with the inventors' powers (or at least it limits what we can do with unique propulsion cards). More likely we'll use a system like Cosmic Encounter where some inventors are rated as 'trickier' to play than others so a new player can start with someone easy/versatile. I appreciate the suggestions though and am not totally settled on the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds really cool too. I'm very excited to see what you come up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you need a play tester I'd gladly help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orin Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoi412 wrote:
Also, if you need a play tester I'd gladly help

We'll be putting together the Print and Play version after the Kickstarter, and if you or others are willing to build your own copies and would like to give us any sort of feedback based on that version, that'd be fantastic (I'll even give you my private email! ).

As for making prototypes ourselves and mailing them out for playtesting, we've done that a bit with other games and the return on investment ends up being pretty dreary even when the feedback is useful (with the obvious exception of video reviewers like Radho).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on it. I actually ordered my poker chips to use as cogs today with parts for another PnP. Already have a bunch of 12mm dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orin Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.