17 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Let's talk about Ten Numb rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
For the longest time, Ten Numb was a pilot I have wanted to fly. B-Wings are great ships. It stands to reason that the top B-Wing ace should be a killer on the field, right? Unfortunately it was not so. But a few things have changed:

- Meta has moved towards fewer, but higher-PS, ships
- Pilots with positional advantage are strong
- Damage evasion/negation is used effectively

These changes have manifested themselves in the form of two common and very real threats: Phantoms and Falcons. Phantoms the dancing duellists, Falcons the damage-reducing tanks.

Maybe this is Ten Numb's time to shine.

Ten Numb, after the recent FAQ, was given a boon. Any critical hit he rolls always sinks through. No evade token. No C3PO. This is a powerful threat even if it doesn't trigger. Phantoms and Han Solo are both very vulnerable to faceup damage cards that limit their inherent strengths.

What are our minimum requirements?

1. PS10 (Veteran Instincts)
2. Movement (Advanced Sensors)

This allows us to move after [and shoot before] Whisper VI, Echo VI, Soontir Fel, and Han Solo (without VI). It also allows Ten Numb a great deal of lateral movement to a) counter blocking that would otherwise prevent him taking actions, b) reposition to get shots after decloaks.

With those 35 points in mind, let's explore some archetypal loadouts.

Controller

Ten Numb (31), VI (1), Advanced Sensors (3)
Ion Cannon (3), B-Wing/E2 (1), Tactician (2)

One aspect of Ten Numb's pilot ability that often isn't mention is how it relates to Ion weapons. It states that "1 of your [Crit] results cannot be cancelled by defence dice". Ion Cannons cancel the dice results after the attack hits. This means that rolling a Crit on the attack dice always results in an ion token. Combined with the flexible movement afforded by Advanced Sensors and moving after other ships, it's also relatively easy to maneuver yourself into Range 2 in order to trigger Tactician.

Ion + Stress is a powerful combination that should not be underestimated. Ion tokens prevent Phantoms from decloaking. Stress tokens prevent Phantoms from re-cloaking after their attack. Neither is particularly helpful to Han Solo - negating one of his major advantages in maneuverability when forced to take green moves. Once you can predict where a Falcon will go, it's easy to focus fire on it.

Brute

Autoblaster (5), Engine Upgrade (4)

This build excels at getting Ten into the melee as quickly as possible. Ten Numb with Autoblaster shines at Range 1 and you need him to cause as much damage as you can before he bites it. Phantoms and Falcons will suddenly hang back more - making their entry point into the fray easier to predict and flank with your support.

Pairing with Jan (for an extra red dice), Cracken (for a focus or target-lock if you had to boost/barrel roll) or Kyle (for that focus token) works well. But, honestly, this build is a monster and will liberally eat through anything put in front of it. Your only hope is to throw damage out so quickly that the opponent cannot respond with focus fire. Replacing Engine Upgrade with B-Wing/E2 (1) and Chewbacca (4) is also a very valid option.

Dancer

B-Wing/E2 (1), Navigator (3)

If you anticipate coming up against two (or more) positional ships, then this build can help. Navigator is more useful than it first appears. B-Wing dials have lots of red maneuvers, but Advanced Sensors mitigates the major disadvantage from using them (losing an action). You could suddenly switch from doing a Left BR + Hard 2 Left to doing a Right BR + Hard 1 Left. Even Echo will have a hard time getting out of the way of this build.

-----

I would love some thoughts on the notion that Ten Numb makes one of the game's best Phantom Hunters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Ten Numb. My main problem with him is that I have a hard time rolling Crits with him. I need Marksmanship or Etahn Abaht which just adds to what is already an expensive ship. So I don't usually end up using him.
I am curious to see how he does against Phantoms for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
Great summary of an often-underused pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auto-damage is nice, but at 39-44 points, he's approaching the price of a (slim) Falcon. And that's without anything to boost his crit output. I still think he needs either Marksmanship (dropping VI, unfortunately) or maybe E2/Merc Copilot to help his crit production. I'd suggest Etahn, but then you're really pressed for points to squeeze in a 3rd ship...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kamekkusu wrote:
I really like Ten Numb. My main problem with him is that I have a hard time rolling Crits with him. I need Marksmanship or Etahn Abaht which just adds to what is already an expensive ship. So I don't usually end up using him.

so let's try a Ten/Etahn build...what other ships can you cram in? I was thinking 2 x Z or maybe an A with Proton...can you fit another solid ship in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edit to make more readable.
barebones crit fleet
Ten Numb + Adrenaline Rush (32)
Etahn A'baht (32)
Bandit (12)
Bandit (12)
Bandit (12)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpryan01 wrote:
bare bones attack fleet:

100 points
32 points
Ten Numb
Unique
When attacking, 1 of your results cannot be cancelled by defense dice.
Adrenaline Rush (1)
32 points
Etahn A’baht
Unique
When an enemy ship inside your firing arc at Range 1-3 is defending, the attacker may change 1 of its results to a result.
12 points
Bandit Squadron Pilot #1
12 points
Bandit Squadron Pilot #2
12 points
Bandit Squadron Pilot #3

I vote this for the worst way to format a squad list.

For anybody else reading on a mobile device, it's:
Ten Numb + Adrenaline Rush (32)
Etahn A'baht (32)
Bandit (12)
Bandit (12)
Bandit (12)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
input noted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tpryan01 wrote:
kamekkusu wrote:

so let's try a Ten/Etahn build...what other ships can you cram in? I was thinking 2 x Z or maybe an A with Proton...can you fit another solid ship in?

I have a dangerous tendency to go a little mod-heavy with some of my builds, but here is what I came up with:

Ten Numb (41)
B-Wing (31), Autoblaster (5), Adrenaline Rush (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

Etahn A’baht (35)
E-Wing (32), R7-T1 (3)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) x 2

Engine Upgrade and Adrenaline Rush should keep Ten within range 1 of his target, while Etahn has a little defensive and offensive boost with R7-T1.

Are the Autoblaster, Engine Upgrade and R7-T1 worth replacing a Bandit? Hard to say for certain, but if the Autoblaster can be used two or three times, that's a lot of guaranteed damage, maybe enough to offset the additional bandit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Gonjeshk wrote:

I have a dangerous tendency to go a little mod-heavy with some of my builds, but here is what I came up with:

Ten Numb (41)
B-Wing (31), Autoblaster (5), Adrenaline Rush (1), Engine Upgrade (4)

Etahn A’baht (35)
E-Wing (32), R7-T1 (3)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) x 2

But having Adrenaline Rush instead of VI defeats the point of having Ten Numb able to tackle Phantoms. If you're moving after them, good luck trying to get them into Range 1 + Arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
guys, why not Eating + Ten Numb ion cannon? uncancellable ion attacks!

then some elite ship as the 3rd ship. maybe give Eating A Boat that R3A2 also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
guys, why not Eating + Ten Numb ion cannon? uncancellable ion attacks!

then some elite ship as the 3rd ship. maybe give Eating A Boat that R3A2 also
Eating?

BTW OP, excellent article. Will try it out this weekend with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ebeling
Germany
Schleswig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeCat X wrote:
Eating?

Eating = Eating A Boat = Etahn A'bhat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
OrangeCat X wrote:
BTW OP, excellent article. Will try it out this weekend with him.

Thanks. I've tried flying both the Controller (Ion+Tacticion) and Brute (Autoblaster+Engine) setups a couple of times recently; both really paid off. Although I suspect one of the major advantages of these builds is that my opponent never saw them coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
forkins wrote:
...Although I suspect one of the major advantages of these builds is that my opponent never saw them coming.
That always seems to be the case. ^.^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like

Wedge vi
Wes vi
Ten Nunb b2 merc copilot marksmanship FCS

99 pts so might get initiative. PS 11, 10, and then 8

I think it is what I might take to next tourney 13 December

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rik Biel wrote:
I like

Wedge vi
Wes vi
Ten Nunb b2 merc copilot marksmanship FCS

99 pts so might get initiative. PS 11, 10, and then 8

I think it is what I might take to next tourney 13 December

I think you want to drop the VI off of Wedge, as you generally want Wes shooting first. That, or put Decoy on Wes (instead of VI) so he can shoot at PS11, then Wedge and Ten would shoot at PS8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.