Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the game yesterday and I was eager to play. Having read the rulebook, the FAQ and other aids, I've thought I was ready.

Of course I forgot a few rules along the way.

I've started at 2nd, having 3 Fast and 3 Slow robots on the grid with me. As I wanted to minimize tinkering until I've unterstood everything, I chose Lucky strategy and went with 2pt in every car stat.

So far so good... The game was a blast even if I ended 3rd (after needed to pit a second time by the last 10 laps).

No, let's ask the questions...

1. Robot Pitting #1
In the Basic game, robots only Pit once, right?

2. Robot Pitting #2
When a Robot Pit Chit determines its time to pit, the best placed robot in the race follows the Pit Procedure. Ok. That means the same Robot may have to Pit if he is well placed enough?
Example: It's turn 12 and Fast Robot is the Leader, 8 sections ahead the second place. The Yellow Pit Chit is next, so he is moved 6 spaces back (assuming I'm racing at Monza). He takes his turn, moving 3 spaces. Then it's a Purple Pit Chit. Then another Yellow Pit Chit is next. Does the Fast Robot that just Pit and moved need to Pit again, since he is the best placed Fast Robot?
(I hope my bad English doesn't turn this worse then it appear)

3. Robot Pitting #3
In the Advanced game, will robots need to Pit twice, considering the 10-turn fuel allocation (I've only glanced at the Advanced rules, but it's good to know)?

4. Order of Play
(this is one of the things I've missed during my debut game)
Red player is the Leader. He moves and reaches a Purple robot (about to be lapped) on a Corner Section, ending his move behind it (he reached the Purple with his last Movement Point).
What I've did: proceed with the second place, instead of activating the Leader Section.
What I should have done: after the Red Player moved, the section where he is now should be actvated; since there's two cars, there's the possibility of a contest; since robots about to be lapped don't participate in contests, Red player overtakes the Purple robot--if Red player succeeds on a Check--; proceeding with the turn order, it's that Purple robot turn, but since it can't unlap itself, it just skips the turn; proceed with the next section. Did I understand everything correct this time?

5. Movement #1
If there's empty spaces ahead, cars move in corners as if they were straight sections, right? They can use the trajectory bonuses if they apply on their movement, and can also attempt late brakings, but every section is a straight section for them. Is that so?
(By the way, there was not a single possibility of Late Braking on my whole race)

6. Movement #2
Robots completely ignore other robots when moving, right?

I think that's it for now. I'll try another race tonight if all my questions are answered by then. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, they only pit more than once in advance game due to weather.
3) No
4) No contest, they car would move away from the leader with normal movement rules
5) Not considered straights. But if there is no cars in corners they move threw them 1 space for 1 movement
6) They pass for free, but follow regular rules (no passing in corners)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) As Dustin said: Yes

2) I would say yes... he's the best placed yellow so he pits again

3) same Reply as Dustin: No... they only pit more than once if the weather changes

4) The leader section is activated but only for cars behind the leader, so since there's no car behind the leader you go to next section behind the leader that has a car...
When it's time to again activate the section where the leader is, after going all the way around the track so the car ahead of the leader can move, there's no contest because all cars in that section except for the about to be lapped car have already moved this turn and cars that have moved can't declare a contest, they can only defend against contests

5) If there's no car in a section it only costs 1 MP to move out of a section, be it a straight or a corner...
To attempt a Late Braking you have to finish your Move in a Braking section (spending all MP you had) and then you can attempt to do the Late Brake...
The same for Trajectories... you can only use them if you end your move in a Braking section and the trajectory spots aren't occupied bu other cars... then in your next move if you play the correct card you can benefit from the bonus from the trajectory you are on

6) Robots pass for free... so if there are only robots in a section the robot has entered and he still has MP left he goes to the next section as if the section he just entered was empty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Meyer
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
Are you sure about #6? The official FAQ in section 4 suggests that robots ignore each other on straights, braking zones and corners.

Quote:

Robots do not pay MP when overtaking other Robots in straight sections... but they stop anyway in Brake and Corner if they find
another Robot there, correct?

Robots stop immediately when they have no movement points left.
When a robot enters a corner or a braking section,
if there are humans, a robot loses all its remaining movement points; therefore a robot stop immediately when entering these
sections.
If there are robots only, the robot does not lose movement points (robots ignore each other) and will continue to move like if the
section were empty (assuming he has enough movement points to do so).

Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

6)Robots ignore each other always.
They only stop on braking or corner sections if there is a human driver there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers so far. It seems I've also forgotten to stop on Braking sections and some corners...

So, in order to have this straight (pun intended):

A human driver stops his movement when:
-(anywhere) if he is out of Movement Points;
-on Braking sections, if there's another car there (he can attempt a Late Braking to ONE additional section only);
-on Corner sections, if there's another car there.

A robot car stops his movement when:
-(anywhere) if he is out of Movement Points;
-on Braking sections, if there's a human car there (he can attempt a Late Braking to ONE additional section only);
-on Corner sections, if there's a human car there.

Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robots don't do Late Brakes, except on the Advanced game with the orange flag

You also have to take into account Strategies like Banging Wheels that allow Human drivers to overtake on braking sections for 1 MP and on Corners for 2 MP...

In the back of the manual you have a very handy player aid with lots of info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl hilinski
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Robot pitting. When we start a new turn and there are cars pitting, we place markers on all of the cars that will pit as they stand at the start of that turn. If there are two yellows pitting, for example, we would place a marker on the best yellow and a marker on the next best yellow. In our case, both yellows would pit. I see your point, though, about when you should apply pitting markers (at the start of a new game turn or at the start of a player turn).

I assumed dustin hit Submit before finishing his sentence and he meant to say robots follow the normal movement rules when they encounter humans. They pass all robots for free everywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your chit marking idea Carl! I am racing some solo games myself and last night I forgot to pit a car. Plus, it makes it easier to determine who is going to pit this turn.

Alessandro needs to put this in the rules or the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how we do it:
The pitstop chit we place on the turn table for each car is removed from the turn table and put beside the cars on the circuit when it is their time to pit, so we don't forget to pit the cars.
And when the cars have done their pit stops, we place a Just Pit marker next to the cars for the photos we take after each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
The pitstop chit we place on the turn table for each car is removed from the turn table and put beside the cars on the circuit when it is their time to pit, so we don't forget to pit the cars.

Fantastic idea. However, I'd do something similar: use the "Fuel Chit" as a "Just Pit" chit for the robot cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a picture where the pitstop chits are place next to the cars that has to pit during the turn, but here is a picture after all cars have had their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rene, do you move the cars after they "just pit"?

How I am now doing it:
1) Place the pit chits next to the cars on track
2) Pit the cars and move back spaces when their section is active, place "just pit" markers
3) Move cars with "just pit" markers when their section is active
4) Make sure to move all "just pit" cars.

I had to add step 4 after a car in last place got lapped while pitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We do it the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:
Rene, do you move the cars after they "just pit"?

How I am now doing it:
1) Place the pit chits next to the cars on track
2) Pit the cars and move back spaces when their section is active, place "just pit" markers
3) Move cars with "just pit" markers when their section is active
4) Make sure to move all "just pit" cars.

I had to add step 4 after a car in last place got lapped while pitting.

How we do it:
a) At the start of the round, we put pit markers beneath the affected cars.
b) When it's their turn to move (pit), we move them back. We almost never bother with the just-pit markers because when their turn comes up again, they do the same thing (move) if they have a just-pit marker or not.

If a car pits and becomes lapped, it almost always is the next car behind the leader, so it moves immediately. Again, no need for a just-pit marker.

The only time we use those markers is when the robots pit due to weather. It can become confusing keeping track of who moved and who didn't, so "just-pit" substitutes for "moved." We also use them as "just moved" markers when a lapped player car unlaps itself ahead of the leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use the Just Pit marker because I take pictures after each turn and has to write a small race report (a text to each picture), so if we didn't use the Just Pit markers, it would be very difficult for me to figure out what happens in each picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.