Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“Gold Save the Queen” Session Reports & Game Balance

Played 5 games last week, just on this scenario alone. This is a report on 2 of those sessions.

1st game:

Reich: Hoss (Combat Pack); Hermann (Combat Pack); Ozo (Command Pack); Schocktruppen (Command Pack); Stosstruppen (Command Pack).

Union: MacNeal (Combat Pack); Wolf (Stamina Pack); Hoax (Command Pack); Commando Alpha (Command Pack); Commando Alpha (Combat Pack).

Union could not break the code after 5 tries, and the Reich entered at full strength.

The Union troops spread to the sides, with Wolf and Hoax going to the right of the castle. The two Commandos Alpha going to the left, but not before one threw a smoke grenade in the center hall. MacNeal held the smoke filled hall in Overwatch.

The Reich entered and sent Ozo and the Schocktruppen to look for the gold while Hoss and von Heizinger held the center. They managed to wound one Commando, when Hoss moved to the left wing, and swapped places with him. Ozo then finished him off, but the commando was a dedicated trooper and despite his mortal wound, managed to severely wound von Heizinger before staggering back to his comrades (“The Only Man for the Job”). Alas, he collapsed before he could reach them.

The rest of the Union were galvanised into action. MacNeal hit von Heizinger, wounding him so badly he was effectively out of the fight and had to crawl into a corner to lick his wounds, leaving the rest of his comrades to try and win the day.

Hoax and the other Commando Alpha made their way to the fallen commando, aware that he still had his golden cargo before he fell.

By now, both the Union and Reich had dropped off one crate of gold each, and were fighting for possession of the final crate dropped by the dying Commando Alpha.

The Schocktruppen went straight fown the hallway once the smoke had dissipated, and finished off the second commando in one blow, preventing him from reaching the gold. Hoss stalled Hoax, and they were still dueling when time ran out, resulting in a draw as no one was able to pick up the gold.

2nd Game

Reich: as first

Union: Ramirez (Command Pack) and Hound Dog taking Hoax’s place.

The second game started with the Union cracking the code immediately, resulting in the Reich deploying in haste and unprepared. The worst loss was Ozo’s Command token, resulting in the Union winning the Initiative most of the time, and Hoss’ Aethon, resulting in him not being able to attack properly.

Entry proceeeded pretty much as the first game in terms of movement and deployment. However, this time the Union went in guns a-blazing, resulting in the eventual death of von Heizinger. Both sides managed to plant a crate of gold each.

The Reich managed to make it to the last unsearched crate, which proved to hold the gold. Ozo got hold of it, although wounded. Hoss and the Schocktruppen and Stosstruppen tried to cover him, but Ramirez and a commando alpha came in from the right, while Macneal and Wolf entered from the left.

A vicious gun battle ensued, resulting in the deaths of Hoss, and the two Reich troopers, leaving only Ozo alive and backed into the corner at the end of turn 5. The Union fired again and again at Ozo, and although hit, he managed — despite his severe wounds — to hang on grimly to the gold to win the game.

In terms of the game’s winning conditions, the Reich won. But had the game continued one more turn, the Union would have wiped out all the Reich units and won the day.

+++

Game balance:

After playing a total of 5 games, I felt the scenario needed a bit more balancing, otherwise it would potentially bias the game towards the Union player.

For those who feel the scenario is a bit imbalanced, here’s some suggestions to help out.

1. Infiltration Phase: Very imbalanced towards the Union. If the alarm is raised, all he loses is the chance to place 2 Union troops in strategic spots in the castle. Not a game-breaker by any means as the Union can still enter normally with all characters and their full equipment packs. But if the Union guesses the code before the 5th turn, the Reich player loses 1 equipment token per character. If Hermann loses the Patmos Amulet, or Ozo loses Doom, or the Stosstruppen loses the Demon Taint... very potentially game-breaking.

I’ve re-worked the setup part as:

“After choosing equipment for his characters, the Reich player places his character’s Special Object tokens face up and the other 3 tokens facedown on all of his characters’ character sheets (i.e., hidden from his opponent) with the exception of his mandatory Schocktruppen, whose equipment is placed faceup as normal.”

And for the Infiltration Phase, add this bit just before “The alarm is SET OFF if any of the following occur:”

“If he does not guess correctly:

- For the first wrong guess, the Schocktruppen enters.

- For the second wrong guess, the Reich player chooses one of his characters and turns all that character’s equipment tokens face up. The Union player can no longer discard tokens from this character.

- This goes on until either

a) The Union player guesses the code, in which case the Union player randomly removes one equipment token from each Reich character whose equipment tokens are still face down (other than the Schocktruppen). All remaining equipment tokens possessed by those characters are then turned faceup. Those characters enter play with an empty equipment slot.

b) The Union player totally fails to guess the code or Wolf is exposed.

If the Union player totally fails to guess the code or Wolf is exposed, then the Reich enters at full strength as per the scenario rules. Go on to

“The alarm is SET OFF if any of the following occur:”

etc. etc. etc.

(In my 5 games, the Union player totally failed to guess the code for 3 games, got it right on the very first try for 1 game, and guessed correctly on the 3rd try for the last game).

2. Placement of gold crates. Try as I might, I can’t get this to balance out. In 2 back to back games, the Union discovered the gold crates in the same place, at the 2 lower left slots to the left of the castle entrance. Unbelievable! So I guess the Schocktruppen placement is going to be crucial. Do you try and unmask Wolf, or be placed to uncover the gold at the furthest corners from the Reich entry point and allow Wolf the freedom to roam the castle?

See that? Gold crates in the same spot... 2 games in a row!!!

3. Game ending is a bit... “gamey”.

“However, if the Recovery phase lasts for five full game turns without either player accomplishing this, the game ends. In this case, the player who has the most bricks among his entry point and his surviving characters’ inventories wins.”

The Reich won 1 game with one gold crate at the entry point, and Ozo carrying one gold crate. BUT... he was wounded, down to his 3rd row, backed in a corner and totally surrounded by Union troops. If the game had gone on for one more turn, he would have been dead, and the Union would have won.

So... amendment time: “However, if the Recovery phase lasts for five full game turns without either player accomplishing this, the game ends. In this case, the player who has the most bricks among his entry point and his surviving characters’ inventories wins. Surviving characters with gold crates in their inventories must be able to trace an unblocked path to their side’s entry point to be able to claim the point. Otherwise, treat the gold crate as contested and not owned by either side.”

YMMV on whether or not the changes work for you. They do for me

Hope you enjoyed reading this and my suggestions helped you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent write up Mr Chinkster, keep them coming! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano G.
Italy
Lana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot.
For the game ending: isn't it better to play this phase 2 tunrs longer, so you play 7 turns instead of 5 turns. This would probably resolve the abrupt ending... I have to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csaa4902 wrote:
Thanks a lot.
For the game ending: isn't it better to play this phase 2 tunrs longer, so you play 7 turns instead of 5 turns. This would probably resolve the abrupt ending... I have to try it.

Hi. Thanks for the kind words

Re: extending the game. I actually thought about it, but I guess my premise was that the scenario victory conditions were a bit "gamey". If I'd played 7 turns, I could've used a Stosstruppen with his 9 movement points to lead the Union in a merry chase around the castle.

As long as the victory conditions were the character had the gold in his inventory (no matter what), that side counts it as in their possession.

Also, the reason why I like this scenario is because it's short. That's why I was able to play 5 games in 2 days. Most other scenarios I only get in 1 or 2 games in the weekend.

Anyway, as I said, these are just my observations. Hope you get to play the game with 7 turns and let us know how,it turned out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.