1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dominion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Kingdom cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan anonymous
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, how do you guys usually pick the cards for a Dominion game? I have tried the randomizers, but they make for bad games. Normally I just pick 10 cards that balance well. What do you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
theethanguy wrote:
So, how do you guys usually pick the cards for a Dominion game? I have tried the randomizers, but they make for bad games. Normally I just pick 10 cards that balance well. What do you do?

I typically stick to one box, and pick from that. Typically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
What a productive day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I always go full random, using an app on my phone to choose the cards, but since I only have the base set and Hinterlands, I'll set the app to choose 5 cards from each so that both boxes get played equally.

The vast majority of the time whatever the app gives us, we play with.

Occasionally though the randomiser will generate a set that seems a bit skewed in some way, like a large number of Attack cards with no defensive reactions. In this case, if everyone aggrees, I'll randomise again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Random for first game. Then for subsequent games, we use a couple approaches.
One is to get rid of the cards that were purchased the most and fill in with random.
The other is for everyone to pick a card to change out, filling in randomly.

I understand that some boards aren't as exciting, but someone runs big money and the game ends quickly and on to the next.

If you don't like the occasional bad board, you can use the ones from the rules and/or maybe the tournament boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use an app, then consider the preferences of my play group.

I think *I* know what you mean by "bad game", but that's different for everyone. I think a sloggy 3-pile game can be epic and great and very different from a "normal" game, and that's what I find fun and interesting.

A random setup can let you discover new combinations and strategies, and that's why I like them.

Kingdoms with no trashing; no +buy; cursers; engines... there are many different feels to a game of Dominion, which is why I like it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use randomizers. I find that players, not cards, make for bad games. Some games are longer than others but all of them present a challenge for how best to win with that set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use randomizers. I don't mind if the cards lack synergy (which is what I think you're referring to as "bad games"). Each set of 10 presents its own challenges and opportunities. Sometimes a particular card is a must buy, and sometimes nobody buys it. That's one of the reasons I love Dominion.

That being said, I always play the recommended sets when I get new expansions, just to try out all the new cards in a way that makes them shine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Kingdom Builder App (I think that's what it's called)

100% random setup - always.

The only exception is teaching new people.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I shuffle my randomizer deck and pull out 10 I usually 50/50 using platinum and colony and 50/50 using shelters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever works for someone I say go for it. We always do full random. The only thing I would be against is choosing what you think will work. Puts players on an unlevel playing field, is a narrow way of thinking and sounds like it sucks the fun out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used to do full random, but did find that sometimes created very boring/frustrating games.

Now I usually do a hybrid random where we will pull out 10 randoms, then each person at the table can veto one card and draw a new one randomly. We will often also prespecify other conditions like
"at least one card with +2 actions"
"at least one card with +1 buy"
"at least one card with trashing"
"at least one reaction card if more than one attack card"
and keep throwing away the least popular stack until we meet all requirements

Another system we sometimes use is to rotate the box around the table each game, having one or two people create a set that they think will be interesting, then the next person/people make the next game, etc...

No matter how you do it, I think you should make an effort to write down combinations that turn out to be particularly fun or interesting so you can try them again in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Figuière
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theethanguy wrote:

We use randomizer card and pick at random. Sometime we agree to not take that one. Also at the end, the winner or loser depending on the mood decide to get rid of one, maybe two that we replace with another random choice.

I have never seen a bad game. Dominion seems to always be quite balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I randomize from two sets, so one game might be Intriqe+Hinterland, while the next is Dark Ages+Seaside. I use an app for this, so it's not always 5 cards from each set. This usually allows each expansion's theme to shine, while still adding surprising little combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I personally prefer all out random from all the sets, my Dominion group tends to favor smashing 2 sets together. It usually keeps enough consistency that you don't have a set of kingdom cards that has absolutely no synergy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan anonymous
msg tools
mbmbmb
My problem with the randomizers is that you end up with only cards that give actions, or cards that drastically favor a specific starting draw, or no interesting cards, or no cards that give actions. basically the randomizers give you cards that don't give interesting combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theethanguy wrote:
My problem with the randomizers is that you end up with only cards that give actions, or cards that drastically favor a specific starting draw, or no interesting cards, or no cards that give actions. basically the randomizers give you cards that don't give interesting combos.

But someone will figure it out and win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theethanguy wrote:

It's exceedingly rare that a random set of 10 has no interesting interactions. By always cherry-picking your sets, you're simply ensuring you keep seeing the interactions you already know about. Do whatever is most fun for you and your group, but I think the claim that you don't get interesting combos when randomizing is pretty trivially false.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
theethanguy wrote:

It's exceedingly rare that a random set of 10 has no interesting interactions. By always cherry-picking your sets, you're simply ensuring you keep seeing the interactions you already know about. Do whatever is most fun for you and your group, but I think the claim that you don't get interesting combos when randomizing is pretty trivially false.

The word "interesting" is subjective, so I don't think there can be a "true" or "false" about whether a setup is interesting or not, because it depends on the person.

Personally, I find it interesting to try to find a good strategy out of a Kingdom that seemingly has nothing to give. I like certain strategies better than others, but I also like when a setup takes me out of my comfort zone and I have to play a different type of game. If I get several of those in a row, it quickly gets old, but it also gets old if I'm always playing the same basic strategy, even if it's one I like.

So I like to mix it up. And the best way I know to mix it up is to select Kingdoms randomly. Usually, I pick two or three sets and randomize from those, just because it's easier to handle logistically, but if somebody has all the sets mixed together and wants to do full random, I'm game.

So I guess my advice to the OP is: don't just settle for the interesting combos you already know about. Mix it up a bit and see if you can find new interesting combos that you never considered before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the android app "Dominion Shuffle". It allows you to set pre-requisites like "at least one +2 actions, at least one trashing card" - which sounds like what you are after.
I used to play that way, thinking that those sets were 'better'. But then I realised I was always going straight for the 1 trashing card - and I was effectively using the same strategy every game.
Fully random (I still use the app, just without the pre-reqs) is MUCH better - it allows you to discover new strategies - and what keeps me coming back to Dominion after 450 real life plays and thousands of electronic ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some copies I've seen just use a rubber band for each deck, with a bunch of them thrown into the box without the insert. When picking randomly, no randomizers, just reach into the box, grab and go.

If there is way to find stuff quickly, I use Dominion Shuffle if the randomizers aren't in the copy I'm using.

Gameplay considerations....
One group leaves out branch actions to prevent people from playing out their entire decks. Can drive vets and newbies alike crazy. Certain groups do this when they want to squeeze in a game or 2 of Dom during their lunch break.

Jormi_Boced wrote:
I shuffle my randomizer deck and pull out 10 I usually 50/50 using platinum and colony and 50/50 using shelters.

I wasn't as much of a fan of rolling a d10 and comparing it to how many Prosperity and DA cards respectively there are in the supply. 50/50 ain't bad. I wish some digital implementations of Dominion would let you do this, or a 25% or 20% chance at each one. However, they are open source, so if I ever get around to it, I can learn how to compile the stuff and add it on my own one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWhoWho wrote:
theethanguy wrote:

Me too...

Pure randomizers have seldom NOT worked for me. A few times we've dealt cards that look crap, no extra actions, no extra buys, yet found that a totally different and powerful strategy around benefits of trashing works really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're not seeing the full variety of Dominion interactions and strategies if you're not at least sometimes playing fully random games that force you to experiment and innovate. Be prepared for longer than average playtimes, however...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hawkins
msg tools
mb
I've been looking at reviewed pre-sets lately. I've been using the top rated games here w/ pretty good luck http://mail.dominiondeck.com/games/popular
On the downside you need to have most the expansions to get good use out of this site.

I don't like random games at all. Far to often there's an easily recognizable dominant strategy, and everybody goes for it leaving the rest of the game up to luck of the draw. Also most my friends hate long games, and their attention wains after 20 minutes especially in a game where everybody is on autopilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrhawk42 wrote:
I don't like random games at all. Far to often there's an easily recognizable dominant strategy, and everybody goes for it leaving the rest of the game up to luck of the draw. Also most my friends hate long games, and their attention wains after 20 minutes especially in a game where everybody is on autopilot.

From "everybody" it sounds like we're not talking about 2-player games and possibly 4+. If the group loses interest going past 20 minutes and there's 4 (or more) playing, random games certainly would be a poor fit -- you basically need a good trasher, no attacks, and no platinum and colony to consistently play that quick. But time aside, with that many players it's very *unlikely* in my experience that a dominant strategy exists that will support that many players, given only ten cards per kingdom. Further, if groupthink causes most of the group to pursue a "dominant" strategy I find that I can improve my actual odds by chasing a high variance counter-strategy, as I will face less competition for the necessary parts (as a bonus, the groupthink about the "dominant strategy" can often be dead wrong).

Here's a challenge for you -- give me the expansions you own and your typical player count, and I'll generate ten card sets from my randomizer for it. Then you identify how many of the ten you think have "an easily recognizable dominant strategy" and what it is. There might be some not-so-easily recognizable but even-more-dominant strategies you've been missing.

Isotropic veterans will tell you that even when both players agree on the dominant strategy, tactical considerations (how many of the key moving parts, when to start greening) have a mighty influence on who wins, it's not just result of "luck of the draw". But while that's true, that may not be enough to hold your group's attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrWhoWho wrote:
theethanguy wrote:

So do I, but my one box has every Dominion card (except Adventures) in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.