Mice and Mystics: Downwood Tales» Forums » General

Subject: Merging the Expansions with the Core Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen other threads about this topic but I find them a little lacking. All they do is say that you can do it. Ok, right, but I want to do it intelligently. After looking through some of the cards last night it seems like some of the new cards do not apply to the Core Set.

Is there a list somewhere on what to merge and what not to merge? (I admit I haven't looked at the storybook for DWT yet since I haven't finished the core game yet. Shame on me.)

On that previous aside, I haven't finished the Core Set or anything that follows it yet. Should I wait to merge everything until I've played the pure original version at least once? Or do people think it will be an enriching experience to play the rest of the Core with the new minions and heroes, etc...?

I also noticed that there are some reprinted Abilities and Initiative cards. I didn't cross-check my old set to see if there were changes. Were these cards reprinted and changed for balance reasons? Should I replace at least those in my Core Set?

Thanks everyone!

Edit: I do see a thread I missed that does mention the search deck and replacing some of the abilities and such. But my question still remains if I should do that even though I haven't experience the full play-through yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, to keep with the theme, I'd wait to add new characters, abilities and search items from a new expansion until I'm ready to play it the first time through. However, the game is designed that any chapter can be played using any of the heroes or other materials. The story text from S&R will never reference elements that introduced in expansion story books, but other heroes can be used as you wish.

When playing Downwood Tales as a campaign, everything from all expansions can and should be used - except items that (because of the previous story) no longer exist.

In S&R, there are several search cards that are not to be shuffled in to the search deck if you are playing in Campaign mode. The expansions also have a very small number of cards that are not used until a specific chapter. In DWT you would not include the Magic Carrot until directed to do so.

DWT includes rules on Pets that were not in S&R. For this reason, there is a new ability card for Meeps. The Set Trap ability card is a new version which replaces the old version. DWT includes additional copies of several ability cards to allow more than one hero to have that ability. There are new Lily and Maginos cards that now have range symbols rather than melee symbols - because of the new Allies rules. None of the changes relate to balance issues as far as I can tell.

As with many elements of Mice and Mystics, I suspect you'll need to make your own list if you wish to add Glorm or DWT items into S&R, because you know what feels thematic to you. For a first play through, I'd not add any new material into S&R. For a future play through, it's up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think it all depends on how its being played. if you're doing a long form campaign w/ friends/family i'd probably wait on monsters and characters. if you've already played through i'd just lump everything together to spice up some of your older missions.

personally i plan to combine the search decks and abilities, and then combine the 2 expansions encounter cards. and not combine the mice until we've played through entirely.

my thought is that the new characters are introduced organically as you go, but the themes for the 2 expansions are pretty similar.....swampy murky dead stuff.......and items might be useless early on but i like the increase in variety of the larger search deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your responses! I did my due diligence and read the beginning of the story book last night and now I know why there are some duplicates and new initiative cards.

I think what I'm going to do is selectively add some of the search cards. But none that reference anything from DWT. Just some of the items, maybe a couple of the positive and negative effects.

For now I'm going to leave the encounter cards out. But we'll see. One of the knocks I've heard on the base game is lack of minion variety. I'm just not sure if I care about that yet.

Oh, and I agree. I want the characters introduced by the story. The story is the strongest and best aspect of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.