Popular Tags: [View All]
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
First time going to BGG. I am a fairly shy person so I don't have an easy time walking up to strangers and saying "wanna play a game?"

Any tips from vets for shy folk? (besides "no need to be shy!")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
There are handy little table signs that say "players wanted" or "teacher wanted". These can help you break the ice and overcome that first barrier. If you sit down with a game you want to play and put one of these on the table, you will easily get people interested in playing with you. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The "players wanted" signs are an obvious invitation to play games--if you see a sign next to a game you know or want to learn, that can be a great way to get in on a game. And of course the games running in the demo hall are always looking for players.

There are also social games with an emphasis on deduction (Werewolf, Resistance, Two Rooms and a Boom, etc) going on in the evenings at the end of the Leadership hallway. There are multiple games going on at any given time so you can usually jump into one pretty quick.

Once you've played a few games with strangers that way, you might strike up enough of a chord that you want to meet with them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also the orphans and first timers meetup on Wednesday night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a first-timer too and I don't think we'll be a rare breed.

I'm planning on attending the meetup on Wednesday and work in the library. If you haven't maybe try those things too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

And here's something for the rest of us to remember . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

I'm planning on attending the meetup on Wednesday and work in the library. If you haven't maybe try those things too.

Definitely will hit up the first-timers meetup Wednesday. I thought about volunteering but as this is my first time, I wanted to get the experience and know what to expect before committing time. Next year though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

You're not I'm continually (pleasantly!) surprised by the number of new faces & "first timer" badges each year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that hitting the Hot Games area definitely is beneficial and helps with the shyness factor as many people are actively trying to play those games and everyone is learning at the same time. Also, most expect to fill up the table with people they do not know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:
First time going to BGG. I am a fairly shy person so I don't have an easy time walking up to strangers and saying "wanna play a game?"

Any tips from vets for shy folk? (besides "no need to be shy!")

This is my third time and putting it bluntly, it's hard.

I have walked away from game meetups before opening the door because the idea of talking to strangers makes me want to flee. I fled a going away happy hour for one of my good friends at work because there were too many strangers there. That's just to give you an idea of my anxiety level.

In my two BGGCONs I have had a great time playing with great people. I still have a hard time asking to join a game and it is basically impossible for me to recruit people to play with me. Luckily I have a couple friends that help me through that. When they aren't around I wander the vendor area or the open gaming and try to work up my courage while battling my exhaustion from the overwhelmingly social situation. I do lots of game demos because there is always a structure that I can count on.

What you really need is one or two less shy people to help you. Maybe the first timers meetup will help you there? Heck, even shy people banding together helps. Strength in numbers.

Hopefully this helps you more than scares you. Also, hopefully you are not quite the introvert that I am and this goes much easier for you. To me, it is incredibly challenging but also completely worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
There are handy little table signs that say "players wanted" or "teacher wanted". These can help you break the ice and overcome that first barrier. If you sit down with a game you want to play and put one of these on the table, you will easily get people interested in playing with you. Good luck!

As a first timer last year, I used these signs four or five times and at least twice had a table full of players before I could get the game set up.

Another suggestion is to check out 2014 Game Scheduling Geeklists, and sign up for one of the games that interests you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow you hovered. I'm honored.
badge
My Dog Has Fleas
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it your first gaming convention of any kind?

I am more of a quiet type but have been switching slowly from an I to an E on my myers-briggs in recent years. Gaming conventions have done a lot to help with that.

Things that helped me - remember that EVERYONE there is there for the sole purpose of playing games with other people - so people will be receptive and nice for the most part. Occasionally you may come across someone with an "abrasive" personality - just write it off, smile, nod and move on.

As mentioned keep an eye out for "players Wanted" flags or if you are looking for games hang around at the "hot games" section where games are constantly ending/starting and jump in with a group there. A lot of times if you happen into a good group you can go from one game to another.

There will be sign up lists for different tournaments and such which are a fun way to meet people.

If you have any down time walk through the vendor area and try some demos there.

Oh and if possible get to Hard 8 BBQ - it is a BGG.con requirement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
millercv wrote:

Yep, my first one ever. Bringing my wife who is actually more introverted than I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the other recommendations - "hot games room" is a great place, because everyone is expecting to play with others they don't know. Just spy a game about to be wrapping up, and stand around ready to grab a seat.

The Wednesday night meetup is a good way to form a "Gaming Gang" - I would suggest writing up a short list of your favorite and least favorite games - at the meetup ask if anyone has similar interests that would like to team up with you for some games at the convention.

Finally, rest assured that as nervous as you are, everything will work out - there's lots of things in place to help, and you won't find a nicer group of people. I know (From experience) that it won't ease your stress level going in, but just hold in the back of your mind that it's totally worth it - there are great outcomes on the other side of this, including a great time and new friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
seanp wrote:
I second the other recommendations - "hot games room" is a great place, because everyone is expecting to play with others they don't know. Just spy a game about to be wrapping up, and stand around ready to grab a seat.

The Wednesday night meetup is a good way to form a "Gaming Gang" - I would suggest writing up a short list of your favorite and least favorite games - at the meetup ask if anyone has similar interests that would like to team up with you for some games at the convention.

Finally, rest assured that as nervous as you are, everything will work out - there's lots of things in place to help, and you won't find a nicer group of people. I know (From experience) that it won't ease your stress level going in, but just hold in the back of your mind that it's totally worth it - there are great outcomes on the other side of this, including a great time and new friends.

What Sean said. Bang on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McKenzie
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be happy to teach/play games with you and your wife as well as Cooper.

The people at the BGG con are a great group of folks and the love of board games brings us all together.

The suggestions given are great ones.

If you have a game you want to play put up the Players wanted sign.

If you want to find a game to play look for the players waned signs (many times folks will walk through the hall holding up the game and possibly a players wanted sign as well) Those folks are happy to find a player.

Please note that many time folks forget to lay down are return the players wanted signs so if you go up to a table and they say they are full, please realize that they probably just forgot to return the players wanted sign or lay it down.

I hope you have a great time at BGG Con!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
The ideas above are great.

One hint if other things fail is to find one of the 30 or so people wearing football Jersey's.

There are Boardgamegeek Admins, RPG Admins, Team Geek people, etc.

Any of those people you can approach and ask for help. Sometimes it is easier to approach someone one on one. These people are experienced at games and what is going on, and can both help you find a game you will like, and get a group together.

Come find us! We want to help!

Sterling Babcock
Boardgamegeek Jersey #22.

P.S. I would love to meet you and your wife! I think you may find that some of us are shy as well (like me) and one of the reasons we help out is to interact more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:
millercv wrote:

Yep, my first one ever. Bringing my wife who is actually more introverted than I am.

My wife, who is an outgoing introvert (Seems like an extrovert but really isn't), was pretty scared at her first con last year. She wanted to sit down and play a game together, just the two of us. We were setting up and two guys walked up and asked to join.

Without even thinking I said "Sure!" and started adding them in. I looked at my wife and she was making those "What did you just DO?!?!" eyes at me. She asked if I knew these guys and I said "Sure! This is....the guy I bought games from for the past two years and this is his friend whom I have never seen."

I told them it was her first con. We had a wonderful game, they were calm and targeted me in the game. We all had a wonderful time. Every so often my wife would head up to the room to decompress and work on her stamping stuff. She loved it so much she is in from now on.

Look forward to gaming with you both. My wife would be happy to have me outnumbered (intro vs extro) at the gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Urza, PhD of Dungeon Crawl
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
millercv wrote:
I am more of a quiet type but have been switching slowly from an I to an E on my myers-briggs in recent years. Gaming conventions have done a lot to help with that.

I resent the implication that being an I rather than an E is something that requires "help". As a very strong I, I'm happy with myself just the way I am.

I have the benefit of several good friends who are also in attendance, many of whom I only ever see in person at this event, and so I end up doing most of my gaming with them. Outside of that, the "Players wanted" signs are a godsend. No more having to approach strangers with awkward questions like "Can I play?" or "Do you want to play?" The sign at your table is an open invitation for anyone to sit down and play, and it's easy to fill a table. I've even had the problem of having too many people show up before I could put the sign away after the game had filled. Often, you'll make a few aquantances with the sign, and can parlay that into another game or three.

Scheduled events are another thing to try. It's like the "Players wanted" signs, only in advance. Though I would caution against scheduling too much of your time. I try to limit myself to one scheduled event each day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Help me to help you! Help me to help you!
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very shy person here with sometimes severe social anxiety. I also will be there with my significant other. This will be my third BGG.con. Here is what has worked for me in creating optimal environments for game-playing opportunities. It is a bit of overkill, but in being that way, it introduces some redundancy that assures me plenty of success.

1. Bring a list of games that I know well how to play. These are games I usually play 2-player with my wife that I would like to see how they play with more people. We go check a game out and start playing with the two of us. We put up a "Players wanted" flag. We have always had success in having people sit down and play with us. 100%. Especially when they can tell we know what we are doing and there is room for more people.

2. Bring a list of games I have never played. Read the rules beforehand and learn them as well as I can without a physical copy. Repeat step 1. This has the bonus advantage of testing a game out for ourselves that I've wanted to try as well as possibly catching a passer-by who might even know how to play. I would never, ever want to try this without knowing the game well enough to mostly teach it by myself. It has never ended well.

3. Walk around looking for player's wanted signs and ask to join in. Trust me, I was as skeptical my first time that this was as effortless as everyone says it is. But, it is! I would still put it below steps 1 and 2 in priority because I am much more comfortable passively asking for others to come join than actively asking to join. BUT, this still works very very well.

4. When you find someone else you "click" with, play again some other time! You will see them again, and you will likely have another opportunity. We did this our first year and found some friends that we played again with last year and hope to find again this year. A bonus is you don't have to go through the awkward (at least for me) introductory stage.

Another idea not directly tied to playing games is to do a library shift. I know you already mentioned not doing it, but give it a consideration. We did it our first year, and it helped me feel so much more at ease with everyone around me. The simple act of handling a check-in/check-out transaction with others did wonders for my confidence.

Finally, don't forget to take little breaks. I need breaks from the socially-intense main gaming room every now and then. We have a few traditions now that help break up our time in the main ball room, and I couldn't survive without them. Oh, and last thing, if you see me or my wife
Jessica J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

wandering around, let's play something! I see you are from Utah. Salt Lake? We lived there for a year, and we always love to talk about some of our favorite things there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
WrongWrongWrong wrote:
Oh, and last thing, if you see me or my wife
Jessica J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

wandering around, let's play something! I see you are from Utah. Salt Lake? We lived there for a year, and we always love to talk about some of our favorite things there.

Thanks for the tips. I am sure we will run into each other at some point during the weekend. We've been in SLC for about 1 1/2 years. Best thing about it - sooooo many board game stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect to be teaching games in the Hot Games area Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings (plus misc. other times). Come by and we'll teach you a game.
Or if all the games are full, you can stay and chat awhile and then we'll get you in a game when one opens up.
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My first year I was solo and it was before all of the wonderful aids that are around now: the players wanted signs and teachers wanted signs are so much better, and meetups for first timers as well as special interest things like scotch and beer tastings are really helpful in finding people with common interests. I was lucky my first year to meet someone I know who I didn't know would be there, but I've also been working on meeting more people each year (and dragging friends along) so I've got a pretty good cadre now.

So as a first timer introvert it's going to be a hard day or so at the beginning, but there are enough tools to get you hooked up with people that you should be able to get through that and have a great time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
The ideas above are great.

One hint if other things fail is to find one of the 30 or so people wearing football Jersey's.

There are Boardgamegeek Admins, RPG Admins, Team Geek people, etc.

Any of those people you can approach and ask for help. Sometimes it is easier to approach someone one on one. These people are experienced at games and what is going on, and can both help you find a game you will like, and get a group together.

Come find us! We want to help!

Sterling Babcock
Boardgamegeek Jersey #22.

P.S. I would love to meet you and your wife! I think you may find that some of us are shy as well (like me) and one of the reasons we help out is to interact more!

I was going to make the same suggestion - find a Team Geek member or any jerseyed person.

If you do come find me, remind me that you're not as extroverted as me. Sometimes I get a bit excited at the con and that might scare off some folks. Remind me to be more Fluttershy and less Pinkie Pie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lil Red Head wrote:
I was going to make the same suggestion - find any jerseyed person.

I'll be wearing my Broncos Peyton Manning jersey! And I'm friendly! So yes, look for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.