Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there! If you were referred to this thread by your Santa it most likely means that they are having some trouble selecting a gift for you. In order to help everyone get the best Christmas possible I have reposted my Tips and Suggestions here. In the interest of fun for everyone, please follow the tips below!

If you stumbled onto this thread yourself, I hope these tips help you get a great gift!

kgk4569 wrote:

Tip 1: Ungakwazi uyangiqonda?
- Save your santa time (and give them a bigger selection to choose from) by listing the languages you would feel comfortable playing games in. This also benefits you so that you get a game you can actually play.

Tip 2: Apples and Oranges
- Be sure to use general game types that you like such as Adventure, Bluffing, Economics, Exploration, Deck Building, Tile Laying, Story Telling, Cooperative, etc. This will help your santa find a perfect category for you if they go off list or buy filler.

Tip 3: Pony or Socks
- Be sure to rate the games in your collection AND leave comments on those games telling what you enjoy and/or dislike about them. This will help your santa give you something amazing if he/she goes off list or gets you filler. This is especially important for the games you've rated as 1,2,9, and 10.

Tip 4: Sugar-Bear
- Santa's bag isn't bottomless. It's OK to have some expensive games in your wishlist, just be sure to let santa know that you aren't expecting a very expensive game, be sure to specify that these are WISHES, and you will be just as happy with your 4's and 3's. Make sure that you have a big enough selection of games priced $30-$50 so that your santa has enough to choose from.

Tip 5: The Firetruck
- See what the other boys and girls on this forum are playing with, or what they want. If you check out a profile and they have the same tastes as you, they might have some ideas in their lists that you might love to have.

Tip 6: Seeing Double
- Be sure that your collection is up to date with Promos and Expansions. Your santa might want to surprise you with some fillers! It's more exciting for everybody if they aren't duplicates!

Tip 7: ...And my Uncle Frank
- How many people do you usually game with? What do they like? Your santa might send you a great game, but it's no fun if your group can't play! Be sure that santa knows how many players you need, maybe they'll even spring for that 5 player expansion! Also what your group likes can influence how well the game is received, so make sure your group would want to play what you want. Also you can notate games that you WOULD want, BUT your group already has. That way you won't get something that will sit on your shelf. If anyone in your group has a BGG profile, link them in your letter. If they don't....well then force them to, and get them to sign up for secret santa. Santa doesn't mind a little bit of coercion, as long as it's in the holiday spirit. (Also you can have an awesome unwrapping game day!!!)

Tip 8: Postmarked North Pole
- Shipping can be long and costly, be sure to give your santa hints on where to find local dealers so that they can direct ship to you! Most of you seem good on this, I just want to include it for people who stumble on this later. If you have any tips that will make it easier on your santa such as "Mark it 'GIFT' so that it will go through customs" or "I can pick it up at the local store", you may get your gift faster, and even get more due to the saved money!

Kip's Big Bad List Of Goodness
Here are a few of my favorite games that I recommend looking into if you haven't already:

- Betrayal at House on the Hill
- Dungeon Dice
- Illuminati: Deluxe Edition
- We Didn't Playtest This At All
- Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre
- Alien Frontiers
- Seasons
- Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia
- Fealty
- Ancient Terrible Things
- Quarriors!
- Guillotine
- Chrononauts
- Zong Shi
- Miskatonic School for Girls
- Runebound (Second Edition)
- Eaten by Zombies!
- Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)
- Zpocalypse
- Xia: Legends of a Drift System
- Cutthroat Caverns
- Saboteur
- Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game
- Alhambra
- Galaxy Trucker
- Hyperborea
- Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set
- Wiz-War (eighth edition)
- Agents of SMERSH
- Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
- Nevermore

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

EDIT: Added more games for 2015!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Weirich
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Tips! thank you

as a first timer, I already made a few changes based on these (added comments to my wishlist, list of great board game stores in my country)

Very useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HotsauceWally wrote:
Great Tips! thank you

as a first timer, I already made a few changes based on these (added comments to my wishlist, list of great board game stores in my country)

Very useful!
Welcome! I hope you get some awesome stuff this Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joana Nobrega
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Brilliant!
Lets hope my target reads it (I've sent the link).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joanawn wrote:
Brilliant!
Lets hope my target reads it (I've sent the link).
Cheers! I hope it works out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khang Dao
Switzerland
Reiden
flag msg tools
Definitely have to write comments on my owned games and wishlist to help my Santa out. Didn't think about how many players we usually are either.

Thanks a lot for the tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is super duper useful. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:
This is super duper useful. Thanks!
Welcome! Good luck!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Allen
United States
White Settlement
Texas
flag msg tools
www.bobweekend.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot. (see Steve Martin skit)
In addition to playing games I also sell them. My focus is on KS games so my inventory (meaning I could send you more games as I got them wholesale) is not likely on your wish list. That means I need to purchase retail and you get what you wished for not what you deserved....
Careful what you wish for.

Bob, Bob's Weekend Wonders

This is my 2nd year. Last year I was of the surprise me group. Boy was I surprised. My Santa was amazing. Their generosity prompted me to send a 2nd gift to my santee. I have some (more than last year) games in my wish list. The most amazing thing from last years Santa was the letter telling me why they think this is the most amazing game. My Santa not only looked at my wish list(wimpy), they studied my post and tried to get to know me(anomalously). The end result was nothing I had put on my wish list. It was perfect. Games I did not know I would love. I love. Would not have had awareness if not for Santa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
DFW Area
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the list. Signing up for secret Santa turned into more prep work than I was expecting, but I am almost done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Remember to diplay the Mircobadge to the admins can verify membership easily.

I hope you have a great exchange!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Braden
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great List. I've heard of a lot of these games that you have listed, but haven't played many of them. Good recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vee Lu
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
.techies do it in the dark.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You for posting this!
Between this and looking at all the different letters to Santa, I am starting my Gift Exchange Prep! I can't wait to play Santa and honestly, this is exposing me to so many games I may not have previously considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wallace
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very helpful list, one that is going into action now on my own list and draft Santa letter. While it will be nice to receive a game from my wish list, the anticipation that I might get a game I've never heard of (or did not consider) that lines up with my playing style is what makes this awesome. Can't wait to surprise my target this year!!

Thanks for the consideration in putting this together.

-Okt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I am going to have to adjudicate with this list. Nothing like trying to fly blind. Thanks for this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb