BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New Games Recommendation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duarte Pinto
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to attend our weekly and monthly game meetings in my town but it´s just to difficult for me to go there, so now I have been gathering with 2 different game groups (including me we are 4 in each) in my house once a week.

First group (Younger group)

Absolutely loves deck building, I have Dominion with the Cornucopia expansion, Thunderstone Base with Wrath of the elements Thunderstone Caverns of Bane and our favourite Quarriors with Quarmaggedon.

They also enjoy escape with the Illusions expansion and from time to time we play Gang of Four

I believe that dice games are more fun than any other game (Yes! They don´t require skill I know) because everyone just stands in silence from the moment the dice fall from the cup until the moment they stop, thinking about their future in the game whether they are going to win or not.

I showed them Mesopotamia they didn´t like, they don´t like Smallworld Underground.
They liked Ticket to Ride Europe and King of Tokyo.

Second Group

In the second group I will jump to their favourite game: Mahjong!
We have to play at least a game of Mahjong everytime we meet, I don´t have any problem with that since it´s one of my favourite games

They enjoy deck building aswell but not as much as the first group, we just play it once a month something like that(exception to Quarriors we play that quite some times).

They normally ask to play Betrayal at the House on the Hill (again dice are everywhere
They also enjoy backgammon but we don´t interact as much being a 1v1 game.
We play Bang sometimes.

So... I need your opinions

PS: I know it´s a little confusing and my English doesn´t help lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Würfel Bohnanza is a dice game where you can get things even when it's not your turn. So with 4 players everybody will pay attention every turn.
Machi Koro is also a fun dice game.
Both are light weighted, but no deck builders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Pinto
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! I will check those two and show them both to see the reactions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first group, since they like deck builders and ticket to ride, the obvious recommendation is Trains. It's a deck building game like Dominion, but adds a board where you build routes across the map.

I'd also throw out a recommendation for Resident Evil Deck Building Game: Mercenaries. It's my favorite set in the Resident Evil Deck building line, as it has the best resource cards and introduces drafted skill cards. Since you like Thunderstone and Dominion, I have a feeling you'll like this.

Even tho I really shouldn't say this, if you love Quarriors, it might be worth looking into Dice Masters (Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men and Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men). Dice Masters is basically Quarriors, only with better (in my opinion) rules for how combat works. It's only supposed to be a 2 player game, but you can play it with teams and some other ways to include more players.

The reason I hesitate to recommend it is because it's expensive if you really want to get into having lots of dice/cards. Just getting a starter set is $15 and is enough for 2 players. Getting 2 starters (one for each set) would be enough for 4 players, but you'd be limited on characters without some boosters. Boosters are only $1 each, but there are rare/super rare cards that are hard to get, and expensive if you just buy them on ebay or elsewhere.

For your second group, a "Betrayal" like game that's a lot of fun is Level 7 [Escape]. Level 7 escape is less scenario driven tho, so if you really like the traitor mechanics and such, this may not be for you.

On that note, Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game would be a good choice. It has hidden objectives, traitors (if you want), and an intense race against the clock type game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Trains. I think it's a natural fit for your first group.

For your second group, I'd say BANG! The Dice Game might be a good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons is an excellent game and might be a good option.

Also suggest you have a look at Alien Frontiers and Core Worlds

Those who enjoy Ticket to Ride might also enjoy Africana and Isla Dorada.

Boa sorte!

p.s. your English is just fine meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Pinto
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
For your first group, since they like deck builders and ticket to ride, the obvious recommendation is Trains. It's a deck building game like Dominion, but adds a board where you build routes across the map.

I'd also throw out a recommendation for Resident Evil Deck Building Game: Mercenaries. It's my favorite set in the Resident Evil Deck building line, as it has the best resource cards and introduces drafted skill cards. Since you like Thunderstone and Dominion, I have a feeling you'll like this.

Even tho I really shouldn't say this, if you love Quarriors, it might be worth looking into Dice Masters (Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men and Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men). Dice Masters is basically Quarriors, only with better (in my opinion) rules for how combat works. It's only supposed to be a 2 player game, but you can play it with teams and some other ways to include more players.

The reason I hesitate to recommend it is because it's expensive if you really want to get into having lots of dice/cards. Just getting a starter set is $15 and is enough for 2 players. Getting 2 starters (one for each set) would be enough for 4 players, but you'd be limited on characters without some boosters. Boosters are only $1 each, but there are rare/super rare cards that are hard to get, and expensive if you just buy them on ebay or elsewhere.

For your second group, a "Betrayal" like game that's a lot of fun is Level 7 [Escape]. Level 7 escape is less scenario driven tho, so if you really like the traitor mechanics and such, this may not be for you.

On that note, Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game would be a good choice. It has hidden objectives, traitors (if you want), and an intense race against the clock type game play.

Thank you for your recomendations.

I will agree 100% with you on Marvel Dice Masters, I know the game and many people who bought it, it is too expensive IMO aswell, not for me and 2 players only is just a big no as I said the only 2 player game we play is Backgammon and it´s because I have 2 boards and we are almost playing as a whole since we all help each other and give opinions on what each player should do next.

The other 4 games will be put to test to see what they think about it

newkillerstar27 wrote:

For your second group, I'd say Bang! The Dice Game might be a good option.

Do you think it is really worth it to buy Bang the dice game when I have Bang the Bullet already? Is it that big of a difference?

Bondgoldfinger wrote:
Seasons is an excellent game and might be a good option.

Also suggest you have a look at Alien Frontiers and Core Worlds

Those who enjoy Ticket to Ride might also enjoy Africana and Isla Dorada.

Boa sorte!

p.s. your English is just fine meeple

I already had an eye on Seasons but still didn´t have the time to play it, I really enjoyed what I read about it.
As I said to GibbRS I will put those on a list aswell to try them all and see what the groups think about it

Thank you very much for all of your recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Enchained wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

For your second group, I'd say Bang! The Dice Game might be a good option.

Do you think it is really worth it to buy Bang the dice game when I have Bang the Bullet already? Is it that big of a difference?

I haven't played Bang the Bullet, but everyone I've talked to says the dice game is the best way to play, since it only takes about 15 minutes a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not try other expansions for Dominion? Prosperity is kind of a must. I personally love Dark Ages. Alchemy is about the only expansion that people quibble with (and I could do without).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Reischl

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe is one of my Dad's favorites. It is like Ticket To Ride Europe but with much more complexity because you don't own a certain color of piece, you can build on any color and have to buy stocks for that airline to gain control over the genreated victory points. (Aside: they leave out the Air Abacus generic stocks as unbalancing the game).

Edit: Dad frequently plays this as two player, but I have only played it as 4-5 player and it is just as challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Reischl

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign All Dice rolling in a Cthulhu horror setting.

Haven't played these yet but if they love dice rolling you might consider:

Pandemic: The Cure
Roll for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
Great coop twist on deck building. The theme just drips from this game. It's both mine and my girlfriend favorite game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.