juan garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all,

I'm not looking for a wargame...but I'm afraid this game is too simple...

On the other side I have readed that it has a good number
of decissions during the battle...

Can anyone provide some examples of what Kind of decisions do need to deal during the game??

Thanks in advance!
Pepe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty quick list that I threw together:
1. Which quests to pursue
2. Which equipment to give to which character
3. Which character to activate
3. What to attack with
4. Choosing what the monsters do when they are attacked
6. If you win a scenario, which scenario to play next
7. What to buy with your gold

They have some playthrough videos of it on YouTube, if you have the time to sit through those, but they tend to be about an hour or more to get through a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a lot of drafting decisions to make.

Which character to add to your team (at the start).
Which equipment to purchase between missions.
Where to put all of your equipment on figures.

Here's an important one you left out:
Choosing to move through monsters (and risk a free attack)

Don't get me wrong... the game is a dice fest... but there are a ton of interesting decisions to make.

//edit: Don't forget... If you should continue attacking or rest this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bohm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also decent amount of decisions in this game that relate to hero and monster positioning. Yes, this game is definitely a dice fest, but do not underestimate the amount of tactical decisions in this game.

Also, don't underestimate my favorite decision....do I attempt to kill a villain knowing that I might leave him with only one health, making it easy for my opponent to get the kill and complete the final objective. This has brought tons of stress and laughter to my gaming group.

Watch It Played has a great play video that captures the feel of this game. Definitely check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get comfortable... Someone can get around the board and kill a quest objective super fast. If you play too defensively, you will lose.

Reminds me of Risk... If you try to turtle in Australia, you will lose. Sometimes you have to be bold and dive head-first and just risk it all and win.

Simple rules does not mean a game is not complex. Chess is pretty simple but also super complex.

Being able to make decisions based upon averages and dice is also part of the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was worried that it might be too simple. It is simple, but that works to its strength as it keeps things moving quickly and the excitement doesn't relent. It's very fulfilling being able to play multiple scenarios back to back in the amount of time it would take to play a single session of your typical Dungeon delve.

That's not to say that there aren't constant tactical decisions to make. I still spend a turn setting myself up for power turns. There are some pretty devious moves you can pull through characters that activate second hero's or change people's locations. The Maps look large but are deceptively small, you could study the board for a while and think your safe, then another player runs his ninja past several monsters and into a portal across the map to end up next to your wounded hero and finishes him off. Lots of potential moves to consider and quests to aim for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One quick question I had - are the quests you're dealt with completely random (i.e. dealt from a deck), and are they kept a secret from other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Penrose
United States
Derby
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The quests are dictated by the scenario. All quests are available to all players (other the the PvP quest to kill your guild), so they are common knowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won 4 out of the 5 scenario's we've played so far. Even the one I lost, I probably would have won if I had realized the winner should have gotten attacked twice from monster reactions on his winning shot (which ironically was part of my plan... I had the monster open a door to make the path to the boss harder).

It's safe to say, good tactics and strategy will win you the game over luck. For example, I have nibbles (heals to full on kill), loaded with a good sword, 2 boost items, and a staff to hurt nibbles 1 wound to refresh all his cards. As long as no one kills nibbles (I could put some armor on him instead maybe) he can 1 shot 90% of things in the game.... and then he can do it again. If nibbles does fall... I then have chooloo who can daze 1 person per rest... so he can 1 shot any hero in the game for the most part.

That said, I am worried about the last scenario. All of the quests that involve a boss monster with major HP and you only need to get the finishing blow are extremely luck based imo. It's a bit sad that the last quest is one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.