Subject: Brewing phase - not brew, and then brew? or is it a pass? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Dawson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We finally got round to our 1st game and had a lot of fun. However, one issue arose that we were a little unsure about.

In the Brewing phase, I was unable to brew. I was 1st player and I passed. When someone else took a recipe, a new card was placed that I could actually make. When it came back 'round' to me, we decided I hadn't passed and was allowed to make that recipe.

I assume this was the right thing to do. I only ask as all the other phases specifically mention 'passing' in the rule book but the brewery phase does not (or at least I couldn't find it).

This then leads to another question. Can you just 'decide' not to brew in the hope that someone will and a better recipe comes up? What if everyone does that, when does the phase end????

Ok, so I'm getting a bit carried away there.

Be good to have some clarification on this or my insecurity about it will bug me!

Great work on the game, by the way. Really pleased I got the pre-order in on this. it went down really well - just like a cool, refreshing beer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThreeCubed wrote:
We finally got round to our 1st game and had a lot of fun. However, one issue arose that we were a little unsure about.

In the Brewing phase, I was unable to brew. I was 1st player and I passed. When someone else took a recipe, a new card was placed that I could actually make. When it came back 'round' to me, we decided I hadn't passed and was allowed to make that recipe.

I assume this was the right thing to do. I only ask as all the other phases specifically mention 'passing' in the rule book but the brewery phase does not (or at least I couldn't find it).

This then leads to another question. Can you just 'decide' not to brew in the hope that someone will and a better recipe comes up? What if everyone does that, when does the phase end????

Ok, so I'm getting a bit carried away there.

Be good to have some clarification on this or my insecurity about it will bug me!

Great work on the game, by the way. Really pleased I got the pre-order in on this. it went down really well - just like a cool, refreshing beer...

Hi!
Thanks for your comment about Dice Brewing - It's a good information that you liked it!

Answering your question:
If you can brew and you will decide not to do this (pass). You can not brew when the round goes back to you and there will be a better recipe o do So, you can not just 'decide' not to brew in the hope that someone will and a better recipe comes up.

But if you can not brew any "active" recipes (you have to week values on dice) and you have to pass, you can brew recipe when the round goes back to you and there will be uncovered recipe that you are able to brew.

So if you can brew and you will pass - it is end of brewing phase for you in this round. But if can not and the situation changes when the round goes back, you can brew.

Hope I could help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Dawson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. That clears up my little conundrum!

Good luck with the American release of the game. I'm really looking forward to the launch of Beer Empire too!

OK, and back to the dice for another game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks and have fun with Dice Brewing
Have a Dice Day

ThreeCubed wrote:
Thanks for the response. That clears up my little conundrum!

Good luck with the American release of the game. I'm really looking forward to the launch of Beer Empire too!

OK, and back to the dice for another game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borys Zaba-Zabinski
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just a quick additional question on this:

1st turn I brew, on 2nd turn pass (not able to brew), 3rd round brew again (new recipe appeared meanwhile), and so on - is that legal?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Glowacz
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
designer
Nintendo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rzaba wrote:
just a quick additional question on this:

1st turn I brew, on 2nd turn pass (not able to brew), 3rd round brew again (new recipe appeared meanwhile), and so on - is that legal?

thanks

Yep - taht is legal

Till you have enough dice in your storage to brew new recipe you can brew it.

Illegal is only when you have enough dice to brew and you decided to not brew because you are waiting for better recipe - in this case as Irek wrote you pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Borys Zaba-Zabinski
Ireland
Limerick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks,

Going to introduce this game shortly to Irish friends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still yet to try this game, although I promise you it will get a run out at: Boardgames in the Brewery - 23rd November 2014.

IS it fair to see that the rules may need a bit of work on them? Both in the translation and their elegance.

Things like this with, in effect, the act of 'passing' meaning two different things depending on the state of play just seem prone to confusion and error. Especially if we're drinking beers at the same time

How about a 'Pass' card which is placed the correct side up depending on what the pass means:

Side A
Won't Brew
"My brewing is over for
the rest of this round"

Side B
Can't Brew
"Nothing I can do...
For now!"

A can't be picked up, while B can.
Once everyone has a pass card on the table (either side) then the round is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Glowacz
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
designer
Nintendo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geremiah wrote:
Still yet to try this game, although I promise you it will get a run out at: Boardgames in the Brewery - 23rd November 2014.

IS it fair to see that the rules may need a bit of work on them? Both in the translation and their elegance.

Things like this with, in effect, the act of 'passing' meaning two different things depending on the state of play just seem prone to confusion and error. Especially if we're drinking beers at the same time

How about a 'Pass' card which is placed the correct side up depending on what the pass means:

Side A
Won't Brew
"My brewing is over for
the rest of this round"

Side B
Can't Brew
"Nothing I can do...
For now!"

A can't be picked up, while B can.
Once everyone has a pass card on the table (either side) then the round is done.

WOW - its a great, great idea! We should create PnP version of this card! and include such card in next release i think.

This easy and clever card solve problems that we need to use lots of word in rulebook we play this game thousands times with lots of people and no one think about this easy solution

Sometime such easy and clever ideas is hard to find

Cheers to Daryl!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Glowacz
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
designer
Nintendo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We work on rulebook hard and made huge amonts of correction before print bu t as always...even that always there will be some correction that we can add to make it perfect

but this is really good one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Amato
Italy
Rozzano
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
During my plays we also introduced a 5th phase before the brewing phase where all players could, in turn order, play one action token each time ...

This is technically a subphase of brewing but a couple of friends find it confusing so we basically played as an independant phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Glowacz
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
designer
Nintendo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
draghetto wrote:
During my plays we also introduced a 5th phase before the brewing phase where all players could, in turn order, play one action token each time ...

This is technically a subphase of brewing but a couple of friends find it confusing so we basically played as an independant phase.

Cool

In new corrected rulebook (that will be in re-print) we markt this much more than is right now (at the beginning of brewing phase).

Today we update the english and german version of rulebook so every one have the newest version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Filipozo wrote:

Cheers to Daryl!
modest
And I'll send you some pictures of it getting played at the Brewery event, Filip.
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geremiah wrote:
Filipozo wrote:

Cheers to Daryl!
modest
And I'll send you some pictures of it getting played at the Brewery event, Filip.
Cheers

Thanks Daryl! It is realy nice idea, which will help players with this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have some bag for your great idea, Daryl. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrCrow wrote:

Yeah!
From me also bag and a good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iras wrote:
DrCrow wrote:

Yeah!

So where's the "How to exchange bag for " thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireneusz Huszcza
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geremiah wrote:
Iras wrote:
DrCrow wrote:

Yeah!

So where's the "How to exchange bag for " thread?

We will prepare a treasure map for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.