Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought of this yesterday while I was playing my second mission and added another Player Soldier to the team making 2 total, is there any reason I couldn't pool all the Action cards drawn into one pile that are drawn?

I'm playing solo with 2 Player Soldiers hands of 6 and 5, so instead of keeping each pile seperate for each soldier does anyone see a problem with making one pile of Action cards to use for my soldiers?

Any and all suggestions welcome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Problem is, discarding a card for another player isn't allowed unless a card specifically says so. This means paying entrance costs, playing cards that require discarding from your hand, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
It also makes cards like "Hand Signals" from the Stealth Expansion redundant.

The health and draw limits appear to be, from my limited experience thus far with the game, pretty critical to gameplay. There were many times in my play the other night where a larger hand size or being able to draw up to a larger number would have been handy, but are not possible with the player soldiers as designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks both of you, seeing as I'm out of work in 5 minutes and headed home to play, you answered exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Botkin
United States
Morton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 8 under the rules for Player Soldier Cards states "If you are playing more than one Player Soldier, keep your hands of Action cards separate."

There are a lot of action cards that have the words Any Soldier in brackets. When one Player Soldier plays a card that says [Any Soldier], the only way another soldier (including even a different Player Soldier) can use that card is if you pay an Experience Point (page 5 under the rules section Upgunning).

Also, in the detailed example of play, please check Turn 4, paragraph 1 and Turn 6, paragraph 6. You will notice that an XP point had to be paid each time to Upgun the card for another soldier to use it. I did not catch this myself until after I had played 2 or 3 games of Warfighter. It makes a huge difference in the play of the game and you will face many more grueling decisions and start seeing a lot more strategy. The game is much deeper than it first appears after 2 or 3 playings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am finding the Action sequence confusing.

You will notice that an XP point had to be paid each time to Upgun the card for another soldier to use it

Where is this in the rules? On page 5 Upgunning seems to relate to using the bonus effect on the card but the example it gives says" you pay 1 XP to play reloading card for another player soldier or non-player soldier" am I missing the rule this example refers to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct about what Upgunning is...paying 1XP to use the bracketed text instead of the normal text.

Punk Reaper wrote:

You will notice that an XP point had to be paid each time to Upgun the card for another soldier to use it

This is referring to the fact that some cards must be upgunned to affect another soldier. Those cards can still be played for yourself (i.e. for those playing multiple player soliders that is the player soldier whose hand has the card). For example, without Upgunning, you can play Reloading and only you would be able to use the "free" Reloading action. With Upgunning, you can play the Reloading card and anyone could take the "free" reload (including yourself, though that would be a waste of an XP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also find it confusing. I thought when there is no [any soldier] in the card text then it is only for the soldier holding the card with the possibility to Upgun. As the Steady Aim card has no [any soldier] it is not usable for other soldiers. Therefore the example is not correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christoph, you are exactly correct. Only some cards have the Upgun [any solider] effect. As you said, Steady Aim cannot be Upgunned to affect other soldiers; it always affects the soldier who plays it and can only be Upgunned to increase its effect. Another similar card, Combined Fire, already affect all soldiers; you can only Upgun the card to increase the effect.

I don't think Don is trying to say all cards can be Upgunned to affect any soldier. It's only pointing out that to affect any soldier, some of the cards had to be Upgunned. If you played the same cards without Upgunning, they would only affect the soldier who played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.