Popular Tags: [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone comment on the amount of text in the game, and the impact on players? I'm not talking about language ability issues, but rather the amount of reading that players have to do just to know how to play, and the number of special cases that need to be taken into consideration. Particularly those in front of other players. I'm a bit concerned about games where you have to read stuff that's in front other all other players to really understand the actual game state. Without having the read the rules, I'm not sure I'm being articulate with the question, but I hope you get the idea. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The effects are pretty basic, and even when you cover a card, you still see the icon at the bottom, and the icon pretty much explains it again. This game could have been close to textless and just used icons, they're that basic. Shouldn't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Can anyone comment on the amount of text in the game, and the impact on players? I'm not talking about language ability issues, but rather the amount of reading that players have to do just to know how to play, and the number of special cases that need to be taken into consideration. Particularly those in front of other players. I'm a bit concerned about games where you have to read stuff that's in front other all other players to really understand the actual game state. Without having the read the rules, I'm not sure I'm being articulate with the question, but I hope you get the idea. Thanks.

The game is fairly elegant in this regard. The text on any one card is fairly straight forward, but the language struck a few in my group as odd (I think other factors were at work, ala sleep deprivation).

If you want to start an asynchronous game of Deus to check it out, hit up Anarchosyn over at http://www.boiteajeux.net/ (the version hosted there is designed to be played slowly through email, I presume, as the game sends notifications to your email to let you know it is your turn).

There really isn't a lot in the way of card variety, so one will quickly become familiar with the options and meaning of the various buildings (though I'd say it was enough for a basic release). The rules don't have a lot of edge case conditionals or anything like that. It is fairly basic: discard cards for effect or build a card in your hand using standard euro resource conversions (2 stone for a card, etc).

This really isn't a game where you care what the other players are doing on your first play. It is more about creating an engine that works for you, though interaction certainly exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand what you mean.
Bad example for me is Macao, where you have to remember all effects or are reading over and over again the same cards.

For me, Deus has nothing similar. Had my very first game on monday and had no problems at all regarding a multitude of effects.
Even the other player, a so-called non-gamer, had no problems with the cards.

The game was very promising and I'm looking forward to playing it again.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oramon wrote:
Bad example for me is Macao, where you have to remember all effects or are reading over and over again the same cards.

Yes, great example. I like most Feld games, but not that one. Or Bruges (although not as bad as Macao).

Oramon wrote:
For me, Deus has nothing similar.

Good to hear. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card iconography is pretty straightforward too.

This is the only image in the image gallery that I could find that really showed what I meant. It's pretty clear even if you don't speak French. Gain a victory point for every forest that you have a building/unit in. Most of them are pretty clear. Once you know what the card does, the icons will be sufficient for you to remember.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
The card iconography is pretty straightforward too.

Perfect. Graphics good. Text bad.

Ordered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.