Popular Tags: [View All]
Rasmus Høygaard Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark, Europe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does this game not have a instructional/review Video?
it truly needs and deserves it!
I own the game but i still don´t understand the rules 100%. at least i tend to forget some things again and again...
I have the impession that a lot of people have problems grasping the rules, just because this game is so original and innovative.. they are not even that complex, they are just beautifully different!

Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you own this game and know the rules?
If yes, Pleeeease, enlighten us :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmushoygaard wrote:
it truly needs and deserves it!
I own the game but i still don´t understand the rules 100%. at least i tend to forget some things again and again...
I have the impession that a lot of people have problems grasping the rules, just because this game is so original and innovative.. they are not even that complex, they are just beautifully different!

Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you own this game and know the rules?
If yes, Pleeeease, enlighten us

If Marco did own the game and knew it sufficiently well to do such a video, a geekmail would be a better way to get his attention. However, a quick peek at his profile shows it's not listed as a game he owns.

There are articles and sample games both here and on the Simmons Games website. I suggest you supplement your rules reading with those. The game is well worth the trouble to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Høygaard Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark, Europe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes i know its kind of a long shot, but i don´t mind if he doesn´t.. i didn´t check if he has the game since i suspect people not to have their collection fully updated like i don´t have :blush: (sorry ocd heads!).

I hope i don´t offend him by this, but i think he knows i just love his reviews, and i also happen to love Mr. Simmons game, (when i get it) but for some reason i´m having a hard time making it stick inside my head.

Acualy... really weird this game has not been thoroughly revieved.. mystery to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Høygaard Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark, Europe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the advice Sphere, I read them a long time ago but i would be grateful if someone reviewed this gem some sunny day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my advice:
Find a friend and agree with him to learn the game together. Sit down and play, several times, and don't let too much time pass between sittings. There are two copies of the rulebook, you can read simultaneously.
Check the geek for clarification on specific questions. Watch the short instruction videos on basic mechanisms. Watch videos with full games (see me lose in one of them !).
Play with experienced players if you can find some near you. If not, try a Vassal game. Or come across the Skagerrak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Høygaard Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark, Europe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Kåre!
You are right. thats the way to go! ...since there is no instructional video :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am having the same problem, AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!

I've read hundreds of rules. Simple games, complex monster games, Avalon Hill, SPI....I'm the "Rule King" of my game group.

But I've struggled with this one.

I "get" the game and what it's trying to do. I understand most of the dynamics. I just can't pull it all together in my head to set it up and "play" it.

I'm now involved in a new attempt and I put away all the third party help sheets, flow charts, quick reference cards etc. (Information overload)

I just am working with the game's own rulebook. It seems to be working. Stuck a little on artillery but making progress.

Funny thing is, I love Bonaparte at Marengo. Had no problem with that.

I will succeed.
I am determined.
Playing a multi player game with my group is my ultimate goal.

Hang in there. We can both do it! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Momoshiro wrote:
Funny thing is, I love Bonaparte at Marengo. Had no problem with that.

Au contraire, that may very well be the problem. It's easier to learn something new than to unlearn something well learned, and therein lies a trap for BaM veterans.

You need to do your best to flush your BaM knowledge and come to the table without preconceptions (a number of which in practice turn out to be misconceptions) when learning NT. Things look to be the same on the surface, but they really aren't. Blank slate, that's the ticket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmushoygaard wrote:

Nobody has really addressed this yet. The answer is that nobody was really doing that in 2007. In some ways it seems like a short time ago, but it's an age in terms of how things are done on the internet.

I'm an old guy, and can't grok why others think videos are a better way to learn. To me, they seem unbearably slow and tedious - when I want to learn something, reading has no peer. But I realize they are essential to many, and sympathize with you that none exist for the majority of older games. (And it blows my mind that in this context, NT is an 'older game').
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Möller
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the absence of a proper how to play video too, and since it's my favorite board game i thought about doing one several times.
But i think the one big reason why there isn't one is that especially with this game it would be SO MUCH work. I for example am so happy that i finally got all of them rules down, but presenting them in a comprehensive way is just too intimidating.

For now i'd suggest playing with someone who knows the game already via Vassal. That way the learning curve is muuuuuuuch smaller, instead of trying to wrap you're head around it all by yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Høygaard Jensen
Denmark
Copenhagen
Denmark, Europe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anybody up for teaching me the game AND vassal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm... but there are instructional videos.

Check the Videos section. created some amazing Video Tutorials and even broke them down by subject.

1. Attack sequence
2. Feinting
3. Flanking
4. Enfants Perdus

There are also very comprehensive play sessions posted by
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, those are the ones I thought of first. Good of you to credit the creators, they deserve praise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
Ummm... but there are instructional videos.

Check the Videos section. created some amazing Video Tutorials and even broke them down by subject.

1. Attack sequence
2. Feinting
3. Flanking
4. Enfants Perdus

There are also very comprehensive play sessions posted by
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Made me look. I see Snowman and Tyvek have done some as well. I can't say I've watched any of them, but I know all four of those guys from their posts here, and will vouch for them having a good handle on how NT plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
Exton
Pa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that helped me wrap my head around the game was to set up and play the short, semi-solo variant posted by rod3556lhs (in the NT formus - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/249378/solitaire-variant...)

It's quick to set up and can be played over and over, offering opportunities work with all the movement and combat rules. It's also a lot less intimidating to approach than a full game. You can play it solo (though I doubt NT could ever really work well as a solo game) or, better yet, with another naive opponent. And after you run through it a few times, the full game will play a lot more smoothly for you I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Möller
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey Rasmus,

at the moment i'm travelling but from the 24th onwards i'm back home. Send me a pm about what time/days would work for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened! I see the light!
I UNDERSTAND!
It's all clear to me! (Well, most of it)

I've joined you!

Seriously, working with JUST the rules did the trick.
The "literal" rules.

But the one thing that changed everything for me was a quote from Bowen. This one line made it all come together:

"Less Chess, more Poker."

Poker!

Napoleon's Triumph is Poker.
Raise, fold, bluff, raise again, call.
That's the attack procedure.
Your hole card is your counter attack.

I now see Poker hands marching across the board. Not corps!

I was looking at the game through Chess goggles. Now, I'm a player in Vegas baby!
It really is a brilliant system.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.