Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you make a text box with faded edges for the rare hero cards on GIMP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there's a multi set of all the card parts online. I'd link it to you but I have to leave. I have downloaded it before and it's adjustable on GIMP. Sorry if I can't help you so much. Big Hero 6!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Foster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mb
What I do is:

- Create a new layer
- use the rectangle selection tool to draw a box around the text leaving a decent gap between the edges and the text
- Fill the selection white
- Unselect all
- Set opacity of the layer to 90% (of whatever you want yours to be)
- Filters -> Gaussian Blur -> Pick values to suit your needs. I set mine to 23.0 on both fields. Depends on how much blur you want and how big your templates are.

It gives you square boxes but I don't mind that. If you want rounded, just change up the way you make the selection.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron Haycraft

Louisville
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have templates made up for each card type I could send you, but they are set up for Photshop. I have no idea if Gimp will open PS files, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryin
United States
Tyler
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the components for custom cards. I have made several, I just SUCK at making the edges on the rare hero text box look nice..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't a ton of experience w/ GIMP & Custom cards, but have done some. I did figure out how to do an oval shaped, blurry text box IIRC, but don't remember how!blush

I do remember just Googgle-ing up "round text box GIMP" & looking at some tutorials.

One cool thing about GIMP is there is a lot of documentation & videos out there on anything you want to know how to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacnud Llah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a really easy method.
1. Create a new layer
2. Select a box around the text
3. Select > Feather, I usually feather about 30. This step rounds out the corners of the text box while also fading the edges.
4. Fill white
5. Set layer opacity somewhere around 80%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.