Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E.g. Game Guru or Tooth & Claw & Guns talk about negating abilities - does this mean action cards can go right through this and still affect Game Guru / whatever minion T&c&G is protecting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roy
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tell me what both cards say

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameGuru - Is not affected by other players' abilities.

Tooth & Claw & Guns - Play on a minion. If an ability would affect this minion....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For that matter, Wildlife Preserve says "your minions on this base are not affect by other players' actions" ... does Preserve only block card actions and minions there can still get whacked by other players' minion text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The word "ability" refers to the effect of both actions and minions, and is also interchangeable with "cards"...there was a discussion about this on a previous thread.

So here, the Game Guru can't be "affected" by any of its opponents cards (remembering that affected is a very specific term)m and T&C&G will trigger from any card that effects the host minion.

For preserve you are correct; it stops your minions being "affected" by opposing actions, but does nothing to stop minion effects.

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Person
United States
California
flag msg tools
Further question does other players' abilities include base abilities?

I always thought it didn't so that if winning a base let you destroy a minion (like that one ninja base) then you could use that to destroy a game guru.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Father Time wrote:
Further question does other players' abilities include base abilities?

I always thought it didn't so that if winning a base let you destroy a minion (like that one ninja base) then you could use that to destroy a game guru.

This is an excellent question, one which is currently up in the air.

Personally I used to rule that "players' abilities" did include base abilities because some cards said "Not affected by other player's cards" while others said "Not affected by other player's abilities" and I couldn't figure out any reason why 1 would be used over the other unless abilities were inclusive to base abilities when used by a player.

However this is not a concrete ruling and there's nothing to indicate that "player abilities" and "player cards" cannot be the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I'm not sure on this one - it is very much up in the air as things stand.

I take the view that neither player abilities nor cards includes bases, and they're treated almost as a 3rd party (or 4th, 5th etc.).

There is indeed no concrete ruling, and J's beaten me the last few times we butted heads over rules, so we'll wait and see

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
However this is not a concrete ruling and there's nothing to indicate that "player abilities" and "player cards" cannot be the same thing.

Normally I lean towards "If there are two ways to interpret something, and one of them makes a distinction between two different rules terms and one does not, go with the one that does", but since in this case it sure looks like pure oversight, plus each expansion tends to be less clear with terminology than the previous, I really have no idea what to think.

One could also argue with equal validity, as far as I can, that bases are abilities but not cards, or that bases are cards but not abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.