H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was oddly satisfying in a way, releasing how I feel about the games. Do you guys do it too? Do you like it when you see others do it? I always had liked reading others' reviews/comments but was too lazy to until someone in a thread wondered why I rated BSG low and I realized it could be useful if people were giving me recommendations/advice.

A lot of games I've only played once as well, but I usually feel like I get a good sense of the game, and I usually read the description or refresh my mind a bit before giving the score - this is fine right? Its not bad that I give my input after only 1 play of some games right? (For reference, I almost never rate games I haven't played even if I've seen dozens of reviews and playthroughs of it)

Poll
What percentage of your games that you've rated have you also given a decent comment for (i.e. not just two words "bad game")?
0%
1%-10%
11%-20%
21-40%
41-60%
61-80%
81-90%
90-100%
      136 answers
Poll created by NowOrNever88
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All my comments are at least 4 sentences or more. I like to update my score once in a while too. Sometimes with newer games coming in, it drops some game's score lower due to lower desire to play. (I use BGG scale literally).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised when I looked. Nearly 90%. Most of the ones that I haven't written comments for are games I've recently rated. I guess I just lost interest in doing it.

On second look, most of my comments devolve into "yeah, I like this," or "I play this a lot," once you sift through some unnecessary words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly i write the comments for myself, instead as reviews/advice for others.

Its fun to read back your own comments after you played the games some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usally comment on my high-ranking games and also on some very popular ("hot") ones which did not do so well for me.
It's just fair to give some objective reasons on your ranking.

Some of my info is just for me and quite subjective ("Best party game").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I write likes/dislikes notes on just about every game I play, but I've only just started with this hobby this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys immediately review after the first play? I usually do, but sometimes my experience firsttime is so bad that I want to replay to make sure it wasnt an accident, like with RFTG's disastrous first playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
I even rate and comment on games I have played but do not own.

People on my geek buddy list have previously commented no how helpful this mini reviews can be as I explain what I like and dislike and my thoughts on the game.

I am not articulate to actually write reviews, plus I do not wish the venom that can come from giving someones favourite game a negative review, heaped upon me and so I tend to stick to these mini reviews in my comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
Do you guys immediately review after the first play? I usually do, but sometimes my experience firsttime is so bad that I want to replay to make sure it wasnt an accident, like with RFTG's disastrous first playthrough.

I write a comment when I have a solid opinion of the game. Oftentimes that is after the first play, then again sometimes not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been wanting to do these mini summaries for quite a while and started with that last month.
But by now I have a summary to every game I own...as long as I have played it by now.

Reading through them is a big help when considering to buy a new game. And it's fun to me reading and writing them.

Maybe it's the next step to reviewing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, writing comments is about as pointless as replying to the "what did you play last week" threads. no one wants to read anyone elses, save for a very select few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
To me, writing comments is about as pointless as replying to the "what did you play last week" threads. no one wants to read anyone elses, save for a very select few.

If I'm thinking of buying a game, reading a cross section of the comments is one of the first things I do. It's much quicker and easier than reading multiple reviews, and people are probably more comfortable writing negative comments rather than negative reviews (even if that's only because no-one can reply to your comments) so they give a more rounded perspective on a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I put some good thought into my comments actually. Because I tend to play many games a few times but just a few many times I often don't feel qualified to write a review. It's my opportunity to offer something in the way of comment.

Like Kim, I spend quite a bit of time here reading comments (just as much if not more than I do reading reviews) and I always appreciate seeing them, especially the ones into which thought has clearly been given. I use the Geekbuddy function quite a bit for this. Reviews tend to be written by gamers who liked the game, but I can count on many of my Geekbuddies to have written a little something about a much bigger sample of the games they have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Something like, "I've funded this and can't wait for it to arrive" is useless (besides being literally false).

A statement that succinctly describes an overview or instructively evaluates gameplay can provide useful guidance during my selection process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Wrong. I find comments to be the most useful function on BGG. I read the comments of my geekbuddies before I even think about buying a game. They're far more useful to me than what pass for reviews on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
agreed. any game that I'm on the fence about will have me read all comments for rankings of 4-7. I personally comment every game I own and about 1/4 of the games that I play, but don't own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

"GeekBuddy Analysis" is one of the first things I look at when thinking about a game, and the comments are a big part of that.

I'm part of a select few! Go me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
I have to disagree with this. I very much am interested in the opinions of the people who I've geekbuddied. Most of whom I buddied because of their taste in games. Occasionally, I'll also look at random comments, especially for very new games which don't have many videos or reviews yet. But even then I'm looking for well written comments that provide some insight into the game and screening out most of the generic or "love it" tripe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use the comments feature at present, although I do post links to my reviews there (as much for my benefit as anybody else's). However, I disagree with the person who said they are useless. I often look at other people's comments of a game I'm thinking of buying, especially those where there aren't many actual reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I comment on close to 100% of the games I've played because my Geekbuddies and the games themselves deserve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't do mini-reviews or write-ups in the comments. I treat the Collection on here as a way to keep track of my collection. So for say, a Z95 Headhunter X-Wing mini, I will list the quantity of them that I own. I keep track of how many plays I have across different versions of the same game (like all the different Love Letters) in the comments. And I keep track of what pledged levels I backed at for Kickstarters in there too. If there is anything extra that my copy has, component-wise, I annotate that in the comments (like my Adventurers: Temple of Horus having the extra pre-painted minis).

I don't have any issue with people using the comments section for more than that, but I don't need them for any more than what I currently use them for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.