Hide
16 Posts

Expedition: Northwest Passage» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dan Simmons variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantin Shug
msg tools
Has anyone tried to add a Tuunbaq piece that moves and appears randomly and kills crewmen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nekozoi wrote:
Has anyone tried to add a Tuunbaq piece that moves and appears randomly and kills crewmen?

Needs big fangs...and blood. LOVED that book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Tourigny
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Someone" has, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Shug
msg tools
Awesome!

Actually I played the first time only yesterday, because I couldn't find anyone willing to play with me, but now that I did - oh the game's brilliant! Thank you so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Walters
United States
Broad Channel
New York
flag msg tools
So Yves, can you please share on your suggestion for rules for this variant--i.e. how, where and when to place your Tuunbaq token?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantin Shug
msg tools
I haven't tried any Tuunbaq variant yet, though my friend and I discussed it while playing the game.
I think the possible option is to add two dice (D6 and D4, or two D4) that will the thrown either after each turn or after each phase to determine where and how far Tuunbaq goes. This may end up in Tuunbaq rambling blindly around with a faint chance of meeting an expedition, but it's the only playable variant I came up with so far. Then Tuunbaq hits the ship it kills one crewman. If sled - two crewmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Walters
United States
Broad Channel
New York
flag msg tools
My wife and I have played several games with a Tuunbaq variant: we use one 8-sided die and and one 12-sided die, as there are roughly 8 rows and 12 columns on the game board (including a few blank spaces). At the end of each round, we roll the dice and place the Tuunbaq piece on the corrosponding square. If it lands on a space occupied by a tile where a player's ship or sled is located, the player loses a crewmember (although I really like Konstantin's idea of 1 ship crewman vs 2 sled crewmen and may adopt that). Most times the Tuunbaq just lands on an unoccupied space (and sometimes a blank space) and nothing happens. But we have had a number of "close calls", and I lost a crewman during one of our plays. I think it adds a bit of tension to this already fantastic game.

Food for thought: I believe that the explorers in the novel started running afoul of the Tuunbaq after they killed an Inuit. So another option may be to wait until the first Inuit token is claimed before putting the Tuunbaq into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Tourigny
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the variant I had in mind, but have not yet tested conclusively:

- 1 Tuunbaq piece
- 1 Action card "Move Tuunbaq"

The Tuunbaq comes into play on the first Franklin Expedition or Cairn tile placed in zones 2 or 3. (It might never come into play. You could instead place it on the first tile placed in zone 3, if you wanted a Tuunbaq in play at all costs.)

The "Move Tuunbaq" Action requires the use of 1 Crewmember.
It allows the player to move the Tuunbaq to an adjacent tile, regardless of the terrain or how those tiles are connected, whether by sea or land. The only restriction is that there can be no other player's piece on the destination tile.

Any sled or ship that willingly moves onto a tile with the Tuunbaq must either forfeit a Crewmember (permanently - the Crewmember may come from either the rested or spent section, but must come from the appropriate column) or any token (the points earned upon getting the token are not lost, but the token will not count for majorities or sets). If the cost cannot be paid, the player may not move onto this tile.

I like your random variant, which can be adapted easily to the solo version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Walters
United States
Broad Channel
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks Yves--both for engaging with us on this variant idea, and for sharing a non-random variant for fans of the Dan Simmons novel! Expedition Northwest Passage gets alot of play in our house, with or without the Tuunbaq!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is fantastic! Where can I find that figure/meeple? P.s. Just played the game for the first time last night and loved it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Tourigny
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had that figure laser cut locally, so there isn't an easy source for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks. I thought it looked laser cut or 3-D printed. I will keep searching!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Tourigny
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, get in touch with customgamebits.com. I plum forgot they have a website, and would love your business. My design for the Tuunbaq piece can be ordered through them, and they'll ship it to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thank you so much. I can't wait to get that piece as I have not been able to find anything similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Walters
United States
Broad Channel
New York
flag msg tools
Awesome! Thanks Yves! Have been playing this variant with a homemade piece, but like yours much better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin McGraw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Konstantin,
In your variant, how did you discuss the actual movement of the Tuunbaq? Does the person rolling just get to decide where he moves? Is there a pattern or do you just move him the number of tiles = to the total number rolled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.