Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of heroic Cyclops and Marvel Girl vs Hulk rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Hinkel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I have the heroic Cyclops and Marvel girl paired (sorry forget their titles). Cyclops says when paired character is assigned to attack deal 1 damage to opponent. Marvel Girl says when paired character attacks spin an opposing character down a level and gain 1 life.

My opponent had two active Hulks with the burst symbol and ability that when Hulk or player is damaged KO an opposing die.

So how does this play out?

I figured paired Cyclops and Marvel Girl are assigned to attack and deal 1 damage each. This triggers Hulk before assigning defenders and Hulk could KO the characters before they attack. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rose
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Rough explanation of timing is this
1. Assign attackers
2. "When attacking" effects play out
3. Assign blockers
4. "When blocking" effects play out
5. Assign damage simultaneously to all characters and players

So in your case you can declare your attackers, deal 2 damage to opponent, spin down hulk dice, and gain life. Then your opponent can choose to knock out both of your characters before blockers are assigned. Hulk would trigger twice because there were 2 sources of damage to your opponent. (All of this occurs in step 2.)

If you had other characters on the field, your opponent could knock them out instead, assign hulks to block and then knock out two more characters when the hulks take damage.

Sound right to everyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hinkel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thx. The order of effects you listed was incredibly helpful. The only point of contention I have is during the assign attackers step is when damage occurs so wouldn't Hulk trigger then and possibly stop Marvel Girl's ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamblertuba wrote:
Rough explanation of timing is this
1. Assign attackers
2. "When attacking" effects play out
3. Assign blockers
4. "When blocking" effects play out
5. Assign damage simultaneously to all characters and players

So in your case you can declare your attackers, deal 2 damage to opponent, spin down hulk dice, and gain life. Then your opponent can choose to knock out both of your characters before blockers are assigned. Hulk would trigger twice because there were 2 sources of damage to your opponent. (All of this occurs in step 2.)

If you had other characters on the field, your opponent could knock them out instead, assign hulks to block and then knock out two more characters when the hulks take damage.

Sound right to everyone?

Looks good to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All attackers are assigned at the same time, and their effects resolved.

Marvel Girl being KO'd I don't think would prevent her "when attacks" ability.

Plus, I believe you as the attacker can choose the order in which they resolve anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Hinkbert wrote:
Thx. The order of effects you listed was incredibly helpful. The only point of contention I have is during the assign attackers step is when damage occurs so wouldn't Hulk trigger then and possibly stop Marvel Girl's ability?

No. In general, there are no interrupts in this game. The active player can dictate the order of all the effects wanting to happen at the same time during a particular phase. You could make sure you did your spin down life gain before Hulk had a chance to KO. I can't think of one, but if there was a reason you wanted Hulk to KO you before that effect fired, you could choose that also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hinkel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Ok thx again. I think I had a little too much Star Wars LCG on the brain and though that abilities interrupted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hinkbert wrote:
I have the heroic Cyclops and Marvel girl paired (sorry forget their titles).

LOL!

You're going to kick yourself when you realise what their titles are (if you haven't already done so)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhoratio wrote:
In general, there are no interrupts in this game. The active player can dictate the order of all the effects wanting to happen at the same time during a particular phase. You could make sure you did your spin down life gain before Hulk had a chance to KO. I can't think of one, but if there was a reason you wanted Hulk to KO you before that effect fired, you could choose that also.

Either way Marvel Girl's ability still happens.

Also, I may be wrong, and am awaiting clarification from dmrulesteam, but, the answer they gave to the Hulk Anger Issues question on the WizKids rules forum has got me questioning my understanding of when damage resolves during the attack step...

I've a feeling it all gets resolved during step 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

It does, but that's damage specifically from combat. Damage from effects happens as the effect resolves, as an effect must be resolved in its entirety before moving on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

It does, but that's damage specifically from combat. Damage from effects happens as the effect resolves, as an effect must be resolved in its entirety before moving on.

That was what I thought too.

But if you go look at the answer they gave to the Hulk Anger Issues question, over on the WizKids rules forum, it's clear that there is something strange going on, timing-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
But if you go look at the answer they gave to the Hulk Anger Issues question, over on the WizKids rules forum, it's clear that there is something strange going on, timing-wise.

That answer is inherently different since it's regarding effects that take place after the typical Assign Damage step; this takes place outside of that. The FAQ answer is specifically answering what happens to unblocked characters during the combat resolution.

Anyway, Hulk would fire off twice since the damage is coming from two separate sources in this particular case. As much as they want to avoid a "stack," they need to acknowledge "pending effects" or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
[q="Scorpion0x17"]Anyway, Hulk would fire off twice since the damage is coming from two separate sources in this particular case.

Maybe. It's actually coming from one characters Heroic ability. I suppose one could argue that is one "source". Although I don't think that is too likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

That answer is inherently different since it's regarding effects that take place after the typical Assign Damage step; this takes place outside of that. The FAQ answer is specifically answering what happens to unblocked characters during the combat resolution.

Indeed.

However, it shows that there is some difference in the way damage should be handled either according to when it happens, or why it happens.

But, there is no clear, unambiguous, definition of what that difference is or even how those different types of damage should be handled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:
Marvel Girl being KO'd I don't think would prevent her "when attacks" ability.

I believe Wizkids has said something to the effect of, "Did Marvel Girl attack? If 'yes' then her 'when attacks' ability happens." You can absolutely get characters knocking each other out in this game, or getting off effects while they are being knocked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hinkel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Hinkbert wrote:
I have the heroic Cyclops and Marvel girl paired (sorry forget their titles).

LOL!

You're going to kick yourself when you realise what their titles are (if you haven't already done so)...

Oh. They're both Superhero. I either play way too many games or I'm getting too old to remember all this stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.