Subject: how many cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
has anyone seen a rulebook for this new version to confirm that there are actually 110 (original game) + 31 (from expansion) + 1 (new card) = 142 cards contained in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
has anyone seen a rulebook for this new version to confirm that there are actually 110 (original game) + 31 (from expansion) + 1 (new card) = 142 cards contained in this game?

I haven't seen the rulebook yet, but on the preview video they did in Essen, they mentioned that the original game cards (with some balancing tweaks), and the expansion cards are included. An extra card that is unique to this edition is included as well (I'm assuming multiple copies of it).

They also mentioned that the event cards aren't included. I wasn't sure what that referenced as I don't have the original expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back of the new box states:
Contents: 143 playing cards; 6 role cards; 5 trading house tiles; ...

So for us sleevers, does that mean 149 cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
According to Dale Yu's preview the role cards remain cardboard bits.

http://opinionatedgamers.com/2014/09/28/dale-yu-preview-of-t...

So no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From rulebook:

110 cards (42 production buildings, 68 city buildings)
1 governor card
5 role cards
5 trading house tiles
scoring pad and pencil
plus:
Expansion (the new buildings)
33 cards (4 production buildings and 29 city buildings)
1 cathedral card

So this set comes with 143 cards.

Having never owned/played the original I'm confused as to what's what. For instance near the end of the rulebook there's an expansion age which states there are 33 new (expansion) cards with a violet border, though I only counted 29. I do have the correct card count, though. I'm hoping somewhere on BGG is a breakdown of exactly what each card is so I can figure this out.

ETA
- Found this amazingly helpful review which breaks down the new building expansion components (from the Treasure Chest) and defines/describes 27 new cards. In the updated 2nd edition, one of those cards (Cathedral) has become a heavy-duty card instead of a playing card, plus there are 3 copies of the bonus building (Hut). So now it makes sense.

FWIW the original buildings' violet color is gone in this set, and only the new buildings have a violet border. But you experienced San Juan-ers already knew that I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Militello
United States
Oxford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion (the new buildings)
33 cards (4 production buildings and 29 city buildings)
1 cathedral card

I'm likewise confused about the 33 card expansion. When trying to determine what cards make up the expansion, I count 29 violet bordered cards, so that leaves 4 missing production buildings to make 33.

Going through the production building cards, I came up with:

11 Indigo plant cards (instead of 10 described in the manual)
and
9 each of the following:
tobacco storage,
silver smelter,
and Coffee roaster. (instead of 8 each as described in the manual)

Adding these 4 extra cards to 29, I get to 33 cards as described in the expansion.
So when I play the base game, I don't use these extra four production cards?
and when I play the expansion, I add these four cards in?
This seems odd, and not really discussed in the manual, I haven't played the game before, and would love someone's input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob ricks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I did the same thing, counting the production buildings to figure out which ones were not supposed to be part of the base game.

I will probably try to keep those 4 out when I play the base game. Most of the time I will probably play with the expansion, but I was teaching my daughters to play the base game first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulmilitello wrote:
So when I play the base game, I don't use these extra four production cards?
I would say not, as they're part of the expansion. I'll play the game first without any of the "new" cards to learn the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hu
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mb
So does that mean that if you play with everything in the second edition, there are the following production buildings?

11 Indigo
9 Coffee
9 Silver
9 Tobacco

and..

8 Sugar?

That doesn't seem to make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
humike7 wrote:
So does that mean that if you play with everything in the second edition, there are the following production buildings?

11 Indigo
9 Coffee
9 Silver
9 Tobacco

and..

8 Sugar?

That doesn't seem to make sense.

And yet, it is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hu
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mb
OK.

But the first edition plus expansion gives 9 sugar.

Was this done for balance or did they just forget?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
humike7 wrote:
OK.

But the first edition plus expansion gives 9 sugar.

Was this done for balance or did they just forget?

That is also correct.

It is unclear why they did this, but it is a change listed in the rules as well so its clear they thought through the change.

I assume it was based on the number of cards that come off the printer in one sheet and a need to get the game plus expansion to fit under a certain quantity (not really an issue when you print the expansion separately, as done in the first edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I'm glad this thread has solved a mystery for me. I separated out the indigo-bordered cards and ended up with 29 and not the expected 33. It's not made clear that the 4 expansion production cards are no different from the regular ones. I guess in hindsight, it makes sense.

The other odd thing for me was that I had a second copy of each cardboard push-out so I have two of each role card and two of each trading tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Padilla

Kalamazoo
Michigan
msg tools
mb
stuvwxyz99 wrote:
I'm glad this thread has solved a mystery for me. I separated out the indigo-bordered cards and ended up with 29 and not the expected 33. It's not made clear that the 4 expansion production cards are no different from the regular ones. I guess in hindsight, it makes sense.

The other odd thing for me was that I had a second copy of each cardboard push-out so I have two of each role card and two of each trading tile.

Glad I read this post! I just picked up a copy of this game and was confused by the card count. I also had a 2nd copy of each of the cardboard push-outs.

Indigoplant (11)
Sugar mill (8)
Tobacco storage (9)
Coffee roaster (9)
Silver smelter (9)

Indigo Boarder (29)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.