Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boredflak Boltlobber
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're seeing 4 & 5 player games ending abruptly…

More players = more survivors = more exposure rolls = more bites = more instant death = morale plummet = early game end

Also, with more survivors, there's more crowding, so spreading the bite effect is amplified.

We're thinking of using a "less deadly bite" rule variant:

Instead of instant death for the bitten survivor, that survivor just suffers a wound. Then move on to Spreading the Bite Effect, but start with the bitten survivor.

What do you think?

UPDATE:

After many playthroughs, the standard rule for bites is definitely the right one.

However, for inexperienced gamers, young gamers, and perhaps those that are looking for a more casual, story focused experience (and dislike losing), this less deadly variant has served me well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Significantly changes the game dynamic AND sort of works against the usual zombie trope of unexpected bites being almost immediately a death sentence.

But it's not a bad moderation of the effect, all things considered. Nothing to stop you from house ruling it if you don't like the "deadliness" of the current system.

In my very first game, on my very first turn, I lost the Mayor to a zombie bite on an exposure die. Fortunately, the place he was going was empty, but yeah, that hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously you can play how you want to play but I like the way the rule is. It makes moving a risk, keeps everyone on the edge of their seat. If you don't want to take the risk just spend the fuel. Also we don't move around very much after the first round. Honestly changing it would probably greatly affect the balance of the game, remember co-op games, even semi co-op, are supposed to be hard to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Bryce
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the rule as-is also. So any variant for me would have to keep the tension around the HIGH risk of movement.

If your problem is really more of an early game problem, you might go with your rule just for the first turn. That allows people to get out of the colony but then the tension kicks in once the initial characters are at their destinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally suggest requesting or spending a fuel to move any survivor to a Location with another survivor in it.

The exposure die is designed to be brutal, but we put tools in there to mitigate its brutality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boredflak wrote:
We're seeing 4 & 5 player games ending abruptly…

More players = more survivors = more exposure rolls = more bites = more instant death = morale plummet = early game end

Also, with more survivors, there's more crowding, so spreading the bite effect is amplified.

We're thinking of using a "less deadly bite" rule variant:

Instead of instant death for the bitten survivor, that survivor just suffers a wound. Then move on to Spreading the Bite Effect, but start with the bitten survivor.

What do you think?

More players = more survivors = more searching per round = more fuel (and other resources) to allow players to not need to roll for exposure.

If you're moving somewhere where two people are already at, use a fuel. There's too much risk in killing morale quickly. If no one can offer a fuel, really consider if there's another place you can go instead or potentially don't move. And bigger groups should have some people stockpiling weapons, so minimal rolls should relate to combat.

Now, if you still find game always ending with tooth rolls wiping you out, and that's killing the fun. Try to make sure the roll is still the worse result.

I suggest keep the "infection rule the same as normal (lowest influence, rolls die or dies, etc., but once it's done, everyone that would have died instead gets a frostbite BUT IT CANNOT NEVER BE CURED. (Find a way to remember that. If characters are sleeved, put the token in the sleeve too) Sort of like a slow acting infection now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.