Popular Tags: [View All]
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know these are different games, but I'm considering one of them when I get the $15 discount from GMT for supporting the digital version of Twilight Struggle on Kickstarter. Hellenes would probabaly compete with Hammer of the Scots, which I play against a non-wargamer colleauge. Sword of Rome would probably compete against COIN-games and Friedrich/Maria as multiplayer one-night wargames with my regular gaming group. Any views?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good games. I think I prefer Hellenes overall (and many wargamers like it, too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
My choice would probably be Hellenes. Both are good (but not great) games in their own right, but I think that Hellenes has the edge.

A few things to note:

- Hellenes is a very much more complex game than Hammer of the Scots, and maybe not the best choice for a non-wargamer.
- The Hellenes rulebook can be difficult to follow, as it's not well laid out and some of the rules are not very well explained.
- Sword of Rome is a fun game, but can be a bit frustrating to play. I've not played any of the COIN games, but I have played Maria and Sword of Rome isn't very similar to it, isn't as good, and takes longer to play. I've played Sword of Rome several times and I don't think it's a game that can be easily played in one evening.

Edit: fixed spelling mistakes, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hickernell
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellenes. Sword of Rome is now apparently out of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellenes. Really brings the era it portrays to life. Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez, comparing a 2-player game vs. 3-5 player game is tough to do. You know your game group(s) and which could use a fresh game to takes things in a different direction.

Hellenes is a nice progression from HotS in terms of rules complexity. I have played it twice and enjoyed my experience.

Sword of Rome is quite different from COIN and Maria. Compared to those, it has more traditional wargame concepts, especially in army activation/movement. It will go 5-8 hours with 4-players if you play all 9 rounds. I like it better than Hellenes, but multiplayer games I enjoy more than 2-player ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently bought Sword of Rome for $24 on CSI.

I didn't have an epic length multiplayer cdg, and while Here I Stand is probably the better game, SoR seemed something that would more likely get to the table (the chance of getting 4 guys together for a marathon vs. 6).

I agree with what others have said that SoR is probably twice the length of COIN/Friedrich/Maria and an all day affair, not something to be played on game night. However, the epic 4-5p wargame was an empty spot in my collection and I think SoR fills it just fine. At $24 it was a no-brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples and Oranges, really.

Get both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies! Both games seem to be more complex than I thought, but I think Hellenes has the best chance of being played, so I think I will go for that. They could both have a place in my collection, though. It's just that I need to use this discount to get under the price which triggers customs charges in Norway, so for now I will settle for just one. I always end up ordering something from GMT when they have a sale or when I get a discount. Last spring I ordered Labyrinth, this fall sale I ordered Pax Baltica, Nightfighter and Bomber Command.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you already have a couple of block wargames, and are looking for something different yet entry levelish from GMT, consider something like Fading Glory.

Or if you're hung up on blocks, Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is a lighter block game from GMT that is quite different from Pax and Hammer. Or maybe Commands & Colors: Ancients?

Then there's always Twilight Struggle and Washington's War ... so many good ways to spend $15 with GMT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dabowsa wrote:
Or if you're hung up on blocks, Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan is a lighter block game from GMT that is quite different from Pax and Hammer. Or maybe Commands & Colors: Ancients?

Good suggestions, but realize that Sekigahara is really a game quite similar to Friedrich/Maria. There are numerous minor differences, but the core mechanic is knowing when to play or hold one's cards keyed to troop faction (instead of location as in Fried/Maria). I like Sekigahara and own it & Maria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dabowsa wrote:
If you already have a couple of block wargames, and are looking for something different yet entry levelish from GMT, consider something like Fading Glory.

Then there's always Twilight Struggle and Washington's War ... so many good ways to spend $15 with GMT!

I have Sekigahara and Twilight Struggle, and have pre-ordered Washington's War, but thanks anyway. Fading Glory is a good suggestion, but it is more expensive, at the moment. I must get the price (with the discount) beneath $30, otherwise I will have to pay customs charges. At the moment, I'm just looking for games I can get cheap.

As for Command & Colors, I'm sceptical because I hate Memoir 44. I know C&C is better, but I'm wondering if those who like C&C hate M44 a little less than I do. Anyway, it is also too expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed C&C and didn't Like Memoire. But your instincts are probably correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Havent played it yet but own it, so Hellenes just on principle.

If you do get it, make sure you get the updated rulebook from the game page on GMT or here. It has a lot of helpful clarifications and such that the original does not. Also make sure to check its page on GMT there are some third party goodies that for some reason are not here on BGG (Battleboard, player mats etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oivind22 wrote:
dabowsa wrote:

I have Sekigahara and Twilight Struggle, and have pre-ordered Washington's War, but thanks anyway. Fading Glory is a good suggestion, but it is more expensive, at the moment. I must get the price (with the discount) beneath $30, otherwise I will have to pay customs charges. At the moment, I'm just looking for games I can get cheap.

As for Command & Colors, I'm sceptical because I hate Memoir 44. I know C&C is better, but I'm wondering if those who like C&C hate M44 a little less than I do. Anyway, it is also too expensive.

For me Memoir 44 is not in the same league as Ancients and Napoleonics. I have played the hell out of the latter two, and still own them. I played Memoir 44 once and then sold it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.