Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good question. Wife and I love it. We've played it with one animal each and 3 animals each. The latter went a little long (especially while taking care of a baby) but was still a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I also enjoy it two player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It IS considered a great two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good two player game. A touch too easy to keep track of everything, but still good. Nonetheless I think the games sweet spot is 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four is my favorite count as well. I could see two player with 2 animals each lower score for victory being a great compromise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game at all player counts. It plays a little differently for obvious reasons but is still excellent.

I prefer one animal per player at all player counts as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
Four is my favorite count as well. I could see two player with 2 animals each lower score for victory being a great compromise?

That's exactly how my wife and I play it when it's just the two of us, and it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of incurring the disapproval of the DS community, I believe that this game really shines with 2 players, taking on a chesslike quality. Randomness is minimized and the game becomes an unforgiving swordplay between the two opponents. I used to like it best with 3 players, but now I'm convinced that the 2-player version is my absolute favourite! And this is after 98 (actual, not fake) IRL games of DS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vidra wrote:
At the risk of incurring the disapproval of the DS community, I believe that this game really shines with 2 players, taking on a chesslike quality. Randomness is minimized and the game becomes an unforgiving swordplay between the two opponents. I used to like it best with 3 players, but now I'm convinced that the 2-player version is my absolute favourite! And this is after 98 (actual, not fake) IRL games of DS.

Agreed. Its like a duel with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that with two players especially if they get diametrically opposite animals, I.E. Amphibians and Mammals would have a relatively easy time to carve out their own worlds? There would have to be a great battle over the ice age and wanderlust tiles?

Whats the play time for your two player games with one animal each?

Quote:
vidra wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:
I would think that with two players especially if they get diametrically opposite animals, I.E. Amphibians and Mammals would have a relatively easy time to carve out their own worlds? There would have to be a great battle over the ice age and wanderlust tiles?

Quote:
vidra wrote:

I don't find so because a quick speciation can get you second place points on a sea tile, or dominance. There is lots of interaction. 90mins to 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noonan
United States
Clayville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
"The druid said the damned thing was friendly... HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW!!!”
badge
Don't poke the Owlbear...
mbmbmbmbmb
DS is great with two players - but if you fall behind the points swings can be huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vidra wrote:

I am hopefully going to play it for the first time this weekend.. and it's going to be 2p, so am happy to read comments like these. Looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it 2-player! It's a highly strategic battle of wits at this player count and it doesn't take too too long to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flyingfish wrote:
It IS considered a great two player game.

By 50% of folks at best.

The OP is likely referring to the player count poll which has 48.7% of voters marking it "not recommended" with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the length with a two player, one species per player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukáš Rinka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-2,5 hours in my case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
What's the length with a two player, one species per player game?

Takes around 2 hours. We are pretty quick so it does take under 2 hours sometimes as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Analog_Gamer wrote:
Why is this not considered (at least by what the poll suggest) a good 2 player game?

Fiddly, too large of a gaming area, or the use of a dummy player needed?

(Forgive me, I haven't had time to read the rules, yet.)

I am not exactly sure how it is said in the book for 2 player but when I have played as a 2 player we have played 2 races each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
punkin312 wrote:
Analog_Gamer wrote:
Why is this not considered (at least by what the poll suggest) a good 2 player game?

I am not exactly sure how it is said in the book for 2 player but when I have played as a 2 player we have played 2 races each.

You can play one each or two each. The two each is a variant for advanced players, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:
punkin312 wrote:
Analog_Gamer wrote:

You can play one each or two each. The two each is a variant for advanced players, I think.

You can play up to 3 each. When playing multiple, you score your lowest animal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long does the 2P game take, roughly speaking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
mbmbmbmbmb
macfix wrote:
How long does the 2P game take, roughly speaking?

It takes us about 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisxny wrote:

Quote:
vidra wrote:

My last game was amphibians v reptiles. I immediately took a sun, to start following reptiles around. By game end, the reptile had managed to get all but 1 sun off the board, and had amassed a huge seed empire. It was an interesting game (only sun, water, seed and grass really came into play.)

After 4 games we finish in about 2 hours. It is excellent with 2, imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.