3 Posts

Steam Barons» Forums » Rules

Subject: When does bankruptcy happen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Bajurny
msg tools
mbmbmb
According to the rules, Bankruptcy is phase six, after the Dividend round where share prices are adjusted, and after shares are sold. Does this mean that if a company goes bankrupt in the Dividend round that players are still able to sell all their shares before they become worthless?

It seems like one of the ways of dumping a company on a player would be to bankrupt it as the CEO making other players' shares worthless (though that would make your shares worthless as well, so maybe not)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan White
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good question - bankruptcy is indeed listed as coming after the selling of shares, but there is no reason for players to delay the bankruptcy phase until after the share-selling because the shares of the defunct companies have no value.

It seems from reading the rules that it would make more sense to remove the bankrupt company's markers from the board, etc after determining bankruptcy in the dividends phase...

I need to play this game sometime!

Cheers,

-Jordan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bajurny
msg tools
mbmbmb
After playing a game, I ended up answering my own question. I thought that when players sold their shares they always sold for $5, but it's only companies that sell for $5, players sell for the current share price.

So I was under the impression that even if a company was bankrupt, you could still sell your shares for $5, but it turns out that's not the case so it all makes sense. If the company is bankrupt or worth 0, then your shares are already worthless, and there's no problem selling them before the company actually goes bankrupt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.